Which D*A*M muff clone shall I get- Rams Head style or Green Russian???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riffpowers, Sep 19, 2005.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've read some very informative threads on the big muff.
    I'm after an improved clone.After some shopping around, I emailed David Main at D*A*M and he can make me a clone of a big muff, I have the choice of the ,rams head, Triangle Big Muff, early Green Sovtek, Guild Foxey Lady (similar to the Triangle just a little more gainy) and the Jumbo Tone Bender (the UK Muff).
    His work looks top notch, but now I'm spoilt for choice!!!
    I've only ever played my friends 70's big muff(you all know it, the common one!!) and I won't get a chance to play all the other types to make my mind up.Can someone help me by explaining the differences ??
    Which one shall I go for??

2. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Well, only you know what you're looking for, but IMO the Sovtek Muff has less in common with all the '70s Muff versions than they seem to have with each other(not that that makes it bad, it's just got its own personality). I have no experience with the Jumbo TB, I think the tri-Muff and the Foxey Lady would probably be the thickest and wooliest sounding of the bunch, but for me the ram's head version has the best balance of tonal girth and definition.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I might go for the rams head style just because it seems to be the most sought after and I would never be able to buy an original.
    The problem is I can't relly try these all before I order.

4. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

While I'm not that experienced with Big Muffs, I have played the Triangle, Rams Head, and both the Green & Black Sovtek varieties at different points in time. Of those that I've played, the Rams Head was the most "organic" sounding, but I suspect that the Triangle I played was not running at 100%...seemed to lack the amount of fuzz attributed to a Big Muff circuit. The black Sovteks I've played were nowhere near the tone of the Rams Head, IMO. The Green russian ones are hit or miss. I played one Green in particular that was very impressive, but most of them were more similar to the black types in that they sounded more harsh and less wooly than the early BMs.
    Considering our recent discussions of your gear/style, I'd say go for the Rams Head if you are looking for thick, dense, vintage fuzz. Perhaps a variation on the Green Russian circuit would be good for a more contemporary BM tone. Dave won't let a pedal leave his shop if it is not 110%, though. He is really great to deal in fuzz with. I have a custom Dual Tone Bender called the Space Oddity that he made for me, and it has both the 2 transistor "1966" and 3 transistor "MKII" circuits in one pedal. It is f***ing brilliant. The man has a sickness for the fuzz.
    If you want to hear a good clip of a boutique take on the Rams Head Big Muff, try surfing over to Skreddy pedals' site and listen to the Ernie. Thats about what you could expect from that pedal. Good luck.

5. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I've actually been thinking the same thing recently. Looking for a Muff clone to do some Floyd-style leads.

Don't suppose any of you Gilmour buffs know which Muff was used for the Comfortably Numb Solo? And is that a Muff on DSOTM (Money/Time solos)? If so, any thoughts on which one?

Thanks,

Mike.

6. ABKB

ABKB Member

I seem to remember and old Gilmour picture where his Muff was a US made one. I know it wasnt a Russian. But I do not know if it was an old one, or a Rams head, or a US RI.

7. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Thanks guys
    David sent me some photos of a custom ram head he made recently..it look the business, smart tidy exterior, and the insides were top notch, no crappy bread boards, a proper piece of work that looks awesome.I'm sure it sounds great too.
    Well at the moment I'm leaning heavily towards the rams head style.

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

cerebralpaul , I see that you have a custom ram head, the same as the one I'm considering.
    Can you tell me about it??

9. Seattle Guy

Seattle Guy Member

10. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

11. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Here's the review I posted on Musicoyz forum:

Got my Ram Head from David Main yesterday! The pic should tell you a lot about his obsession over detail, but more important is the TONE- In a quick comparison to the vintage rams head(3003 circuit board) Muff I have around a few things stood out: A clearer top end from the RH, which I guess may be because David used some higher quality caps over the original- this is a good thing! It makes the RH tonally more versatile, while the BMP has 2 or 3 sweet spots the RH is more usable throughout the tone knob sweep. There's less bottom end from the RH- also a good thing, especially with Fender amps, the BMP might be a better match for a Marshall/Hiwatt or something midrangey but can be boomy with a Fender, the RH matches up with a Fender well. The volume control on the RH is easier to dial in, there's a spot on the BMP where the volume jumps from soft to loud and if you look at it wrong then it moves- the RH has a smooth gradual tapered pot. The BMP has a more spongy feel, which makes it seem more "vintage", but the RH integrates better with with my other "boutique" type pedals and their personalities. Overall these differences are ~very~ subtle, I think the RH fills a major void in the crowded world of modern pedaldom, the 3003 Big Muff was long overdue for a "booteek" update and David was definitely the right guy for the job- I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this pedal or David's work to anybody.

12. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

DSOTM was a Fuzz Face, either Ge or Si, Animals was an Si Fuzz Face, The Wall was a rams head Big Muff, as was the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour. The Pulse pedalboard had two Big Muffs, one called the "PC Muff" which Phil Taylor(Gilmour's tech) said was just a EH Big Muff reboxed by Pete Cornish(logical guess would be the old rams head model), and also a Sovtek Big Muff(equivalent to the '90s green version). IMO the "classic" cuts(Hey You, Comfortably Numb, etc) sound like the EH model and the Division Bell cuts feature the Sovtek version- but I could be wrong.

13. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've been doing a bit research by listening to clips of other muff clones.
    I didn't like the skreddy mayonaise or zero at all, although the ernie was ok.The one I really liked was the MJM foxey fuzz.David Main says these guild foxey lady style pedals are similar to the better green russians, and are his 2 personal favourites.
    So its between the foxey and green type!!DEcisions decisions..