Which D*A*M?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mahler, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mahler

mahler Member

As many of you know by now I have a tonebender obsession, have one coming now that I think is going to be THE one, but I still like to look at other MKII's as well. So I guess the real question is which D*A*M MKII did you like best (obviously you had to have more than one, which sadly many of you do :D), the one with X transistors, the one with Y transistors, the Sola/D*A*M the non sola D*A*M. The world of tonebenders my friends, the options are endless and limitless (unlike the money they necessitate).

By the way, happy holidays!

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Mahler,
    There is no cure for what we have. We'll ALWAYS keep looking for the best thing (which is always the thing we don't have or can't get). I've totally done the same thing (ask about then brag about a pedal I'm getting and before I even get it, I'm on to something else).:messedup

If you want THE classic MKII, you need the D*A*M with OC81s (that's what most people here will tell you whether they've heard one or not...SEE, here I am saying it when I've never heard one:nuts).

I have heard the Skin Pimp, Hudson, and Pro Analog (and I do have a friend who is getting the final batch of D*A*M MKIIs that he ordered two years ago (should be here anytime)).

Needless to say that I'm dying to hear it (I'd also LOVE to hear the 1966 which I think is more up my alley).

My friend will call me when his MKII comes in (or he will perish) so soon I should be able to tell you exactly how magical it really is.

That said, I've owned MANY TGP Holy Grail pedals and only a couple have actually seemed that magical to me (but I could see how people would like the pedals I didn't like).

That's the beauty/flaw of the vintage/boutique world: we just keep chasing the tone that some one says is the best and though what we have is great, maybe there's something out there that's better. The destination is the journey.

Rant over and out:munch

3. mahler

mahler Member

Well disagree on THE classic MKII tone because a real classic MKII would have no OC81d's :D. Needless to say they might sound better to some.

4. Cado

Cado Member

Not true. The Vox branded Sola made MKII's have OC81D's, while the Sola branded MKII's have OC75's. I've heard 3 DAM MKII's, 2 with OC81D's and one with OC75's. My fave had OC81D's followed by the one with OC75's, followed by the other one with OC81D's. The truth is they are all great and one may sound better with your rig than another. Unfortunately, there is no way to predetermine the outcome. Get whatever you get and be happy!

5. mahler

mahler Member

Ahhh caught me on the Vox Part, I generally refer to the Sola's, because they are the tone bender I'm going after.

6. Cado

Cado Member

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Vox Professional MKII, which are housed in the same enclosure as the Solas, not to be confused with the Vox Tone Bender whose DAM counterpart is the 1966.

7. mahler

mahler Member

I know, but they were still outsourced by Sola, and I'm referring to the Sola branded Sola :)D)Page and other artists used.

8. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

There aren't enough of these old pedals around to say for sure if there were or weren't any Sola Sound branded MKIIs with OC81Ds. Most Vox MKIIs seem to have OC75s or Impex transistors.
    The OC75 is the classic one :)

9. mam8dg

mam8dg Fuzz Addict Supporting Member

I own two 1966s (one OC76s; one SFT 337/OC76), a MKII w/ OC75s, a Red Rooster, and a Ram Head, and I have a Sonic Titan on the way. Although they are very different pedals, the Red Rooster is actually my most used & fav.

But seeing as how we are talking about Tone Benders, I'd say my fav is the 1966 SFT 337/OC76. It's raspy and dirty and gritty and I love it. I've A/B/C'd the 1966s with the SFT 337/OC76 version, OC76 version, and an original Vox Tone Bender with SFT 337/SFT 363 from the late 1960s (yeah, that was pretty fun). Between the D*A*Ms, the differences would be subtle to most ears (except for everybody who posts here), but, to my ears, the version with a SFT 337 won out. The D*A*M SFT version had a denser fuzz than the other two. One interesting thing I noted was that I found the Vox was more similar to the D*A*M with OC76s when level/attack were at noon, but more similar to the D*A*M with the SFT 337 when level/attack were at full. BTW - all comparisons were done on 66 mode; not Super Bee.

I'm in negotiations for a D*A*M MKII with OC81Ds...I'll post again if I have something to say about that vs. the OC75s.

[​IMG]

10. zerorez

zerorez Member

Here is some thought injection. The DAM pedal home page, not the forum, that plays the Zep riff for Dazed and Confused, it was asked on the DAM forum awhile back which DAM pedal was used MKII or ? and it was revealed by the DAM member who did the clip it was the 1966 not the MKII. :crazy

11. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

I too was searching out this question...there was some great info on the DAM site. I also sought out others advice as I'm having an MKII built by Ryan over at SkinPimp. The experts all basically settled on the same note...That there is a mystic about the OC81D's...yes they do sound good, but the "Grail" is also to do with their rarity. That said the originals were first built with the 75's and it was most likely repairs that ened up with the 81D's. All in all most everyone seem to agree that what really matters most are the correct specs on the trannies and also the person tuning them. Ryan told me that there are other trannies that are excellect for MKII's, but often get pushed aside due to the rarity of 81D's and the craze around them.

I think you can draw the same conclusions from the posters above. Each pedal will vary and even though it may be made up of "the Grail" components, it may not be well suited or "tuned" for your rig. So...that leads us to our quest...:). A fun, but tedious journey to nail the sound we all hear in our heads.

Have a nice journey :). Let us know what you find along the road!...Can't wait for my SkinPimp to come! MKII/III/Buzzy-N-One :)!!! All 3 circuits available...should blow my mind.../floored....

12. Chonny

Chonny Senior Member

Out of the current lineup I want a Meathead, a Super Bee, and a Red Rooster.

The chance of me actually obtaining one is unlikely.

13. jetofuj

jetofuj Member

Don't want to hijack the thread, but which version of 1966 do you guys find to be the most raspy?

14. Cado

Cado Member

Most held the view that OC81D's were standard in the SS MKII, also thinking they were in Page's MKII. So far, this appears to be false, as all known SS MKII's have OC75's. It would be a logical decision to hace chosen different trannys to use in the Vox braded MKIIs simply so they're a little different than the SS MKIIs. Then again, not all things follow a clear logic. :YinYang

15. Sickle

Sickle Member

If you're on a Tone Bender quest, particularly a D*A*M one, I'd start at the cheaper end of the pool and try the 1966. For max raspiness, you'll want an SFT combination, but opinions on this of course will vary.

A lot of people that have tried both the 1966 and MK II prefer the 1966 for its open, uncompressed, and very musical qualities. Its David Main's personal favorite, and can still be had in the current Super Bee production stomps available through V & R Guitars.

OC81D-equipped TB's are hype engines. They sound awesome, no doubt, but you can get there several other ways, via the OC75 and OC84. Of all David's works, he is most satisfied with what he is producing for Colorsound right now. The OC84 Sola enclosed TB's represent the cullmination of years of work studying more Tone Benders than anyone in the world, literally.

I'll take my cues from the Big Boss, personally. If you want an MK II, try one of the Sola bodied D*A*M's. We're still engaged for producing another 100 of these, so get in touch with Anthony Macari and try to land one, which will cost you much less than a second hand, discontinued 1966.

16. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

That must be the view of anybody who read nothing but the Fuzz Central article.. not a very good source.

The MKII circuit variations don't always seem follow a clear logic, but the Vox MKIIs fit into the timeline of Tone Bender type pedals just fine. I can't find any difference in component values or type that is exclusive to the Vox MKIIs. The Marshall Supa Fuzz (first enclosure version) went through the same changes. The Voxes do come in a bit later in the timeline, so it seems they never had the limiting resistor the Solas and early Supas have.

The only thing that might be an intentionally different spec in the Solas is the missing capacitor from input to ground. The might have left it away because of space issues. But it's also missing in the OC81D Rotosounds, whereas the only OC81D Vox MKII I have pictures of has it (the OC81D units mark the end of my timeline btw).
    Unfortunately I haven't got any pictures of large board Solas to confirm - though I've been assured that large board Solas do exist.

...I'll find out.

17. mam8dg

mam8dg Fuzz Addict Supporting Member

I'd agree with Sickle...I found the 1966 w/ SFT to be raspier.

18. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

+1

Sounds like that Skinpimp is going to cause localized explosions!!

19. Fuhgawz

Fuhgawz Member

I can't comment on D*A*M's MKII's, but I tried several transistors in my homebuilt MKII. I tried OC75, OC76, OC84 and even OC44 with similar gains. I prefer the OC75. They seem to add an aggresiveness to the sound that works really well in the MKII circuit. Would've tried the OC81D if they weren't so hard to find, so I can't comment on that.

That being said, my homebuilt MKII ain't no D*A*M, so this might not mean anyting.

EDIT: O yeah, I seemed to prefer the circuit with all transistors of the same kind vs. different types of transistors mixed.

20. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Here's what I did - I put myself in David's capable hands. This may sound like heresy, but I can't even remember what he told me the transistors are in my MKII. And I haven't bothered to look since I got it; I've been too busy enjoying the gobs of glorious fuzz this thing provides.

It's David's ingenuity and experience that you're paying for; imo, that's more critical than which transistor.

/rick