Which decade do you think was musically the worst ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Telejester, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Telejester

Telejester Member

Simon Cowell ( the cancer who is killing music ) has another X factor just started in the UK and it is just the exploitation of the criminally talentless and deluded all over again. When it comes to the noughties decade I lay a lot of the blame for the appalling music at Cowells feet and the brain-dead idiots who buy into his schtick

2. greenlander

greenlander Member

1986-1990 was the worst century in forever.

3. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Member

Music had gotten progressively worse since the 70's, therefore this decade has been the worst to date.

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

40,000-39,990 B.C. was a pretty low point, IMHO.

sleewell likes this.
  5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I don't care for the current one that we're in based on the types of music that I enjoy. I can't say that there are that many new bands that I like at all. What seems to be considered "rock" these days doesn't sound anything close to what I consider rock.

Beng2040 likes this.
  6. sleewell

sleewell Member

7. sleewell

sleewell Member

dig a little bro, you aren't going to find it on the radio. takes a little effort but there is lots of great rock out there right now.

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm with you and agree. I guess what I was more referring to is what is considered "trendy" music right now in the "rock" genre (which encompasses a lot of styles really) isn't anything that I like at all. I guess it probably matters what we all define as "rock" right?

9. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

I'm not 100% sure it's not on the radio -- every time I hear something that sounds a little bit 'fresh' and with a hook, it's on the radio: Lorde, Alabama Shakes....

But even if really great (new) rock isn't on the radio, *why* isn't it? It's not deemed popular enough to sell advertising?

10. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I thought the 90s were pretty good. AIC, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Plus the Black Crowes, Big Sugar, Tragically Hip, Big Head Todd, Radiohead... The list goes on.

The current state of music sucks. Look at the most popular downloads on Apple Music. It's trash.

11. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

Good music in every decade, crap music in every decade. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Kingsley Fats, NamaEnsou and GA20T like this.
  12. Telejester

Telejester Member

Pretty much all of those bands would have me throwing radio out of the window

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Ok, no big deal. What do you like then?

14. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

The 1480's totally sucked.

A-Bone and melodiusthunk like this.
  15. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

1066-1076; nothing but moronic Gregorian chanting...

A-Bone likes this.
  16. stimpson

stimpson Member

definitely the 1990's. i liked a few of the grunge bands but the rest of the decade was mostly crap. i stopped buying CD's because there really weren't any new albums that were worth the $15 price tag. not when i could get vinyl records from the 1970's and 1980's for a dollar a record

things started getting better in 2000. music today is far from perfect, but it is better on average

17. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

It's always the current one.

Nothing like the good old times!

:sarcasm

A-Bone likes this.
  18. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

As has been mentioned, there's good music in every decade but if I had to pick I'd say the 2000s. As much as I mostly listen to music from the 70s and earlier, there's a lot of great stuff right now with the means for niche music reaching a wide audience. In the 2000s the distribution wasn't quite available quite yet, so it was a bit harder for 'outside the mainstream' music to find its way into our ears. There's also been a resurgence in older bands coming back and putting out good stuff. For example, I haven't listened to Europe in 20 years, but their album last year "War of Kings" was really good. Same for Queensryche's last album. The downside is that the Allman Brothers are no more, so that's a bummer for (the rest of) this decade.

I'd still put the 70s as my favorite though. Virtually every genre had amazing artists putting out great records: blues, rock, jazz, country, reggae, prog, fusion, the beginnings of metal...

19. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

New wave was just fine for the people that like it. I've got a couple CD's that were liked by almost everyone I know from young and metal heads to old classical listeners. Nothing wrong with the music so much as some of the un-inventive presentations of it.

Yeah. What's up with that?? Live and let live doesn't seem to be a thing generally granted so much as asked for.

Then do so, but quit trashing musicians, as it's not only rude, but also against forum rules. You not liking something does not equate to it being crap, but your predilection to so harshly going after musicians you don't care for reflects pretty strongly on you.

20. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

the '60's, without question: 660-670AD.