Which Deja-Vibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blackstone, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

Can someone explain the difference between the MDV-II which is the small form factor and the MDV-III which is the blue one with built in pedal?

Is this the same pedal in two different form factors or are there sonic differences? I sort of like the knob you can just turn with your hand but on the other hand I want the best sounding version.

I will use this with an analog man BC183 fuzz. Trying to get some band of gypsies like sounds. Just for fun around the house. Many thanks.

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

Same pedal. The treadle is great for bog stuff. I had the big gold one.

3. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Member

Just to add some clarification, because there are lots of variations in the Fulltone vibes with similar names...

I assume you're actually talking about comparing the blue one with the treadle and the separate stomp switch, which is the MDV-3, and the newest, smallest one, which is actually the Custom Shop CS-MDV mkII. It is silver. Both of those are basically the same inside guts (as I understand it).

I mention this because there is actually an older, white version with a treadle that is the MDV-2. That is a different treadle and switch design than the blue one. Plus it is a bit different in that it runs on 9V, whereas the blue MDV-3 and the CS-MDV mkII run on 18V.

This older MDV-2 with the treadle is basically the same as the older, cream colored, original Mini Deja Vibes.

I don't claim to be an expert on the Fulltone (or any) vibes, but I have owned two of the original Mini Deja Vibes and one of the MDV-2 (cream treadle) and liked them all. Lots of folks say the newer ones that run on 18V sound better. There are lots of opinions on the Fulltone vibes around here!

4. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

Yes the CS-MDV mk II and the MDV-3. The current models. That is my question. What is the difference other than the treadle?

5. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

No expert on the models though I have an original black MDV, I believe the first version?

But, what I look for in a Fulltone model is a responsive volume knob and 18v capability. Both those improve function to me.

Otherwise the treadle versions dont seem to differ from non treadle versions...

Blackstone likes this.
  6. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

There's a school of thought that says the pre-ROHS pedals sound better... who knows if that's objectively true.

7. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

8. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

Is the another boutique pedal that competes with the Fulltone or is thought to be a step up?

9. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Blackstone likes this.
  10. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

FoxRox Aqua ended my search. I haven't pursued the newer vibes (post-Vibe Machine 1) for this reason.

It beat all the classic vibes for me.

Blackstone and AXXA like this.
  11. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

12. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Hahaha! Yeah man the Retro Vibe is really great and the V2 has an expression input. Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the pink flow... I tend to like having individual pedals for the flexibility, but JAM makes great stuff and for the size and what you get I think the P.F. is solid.

13. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

IIRC the blue treadle Deja Vibe was released in about 2013. However, Fulltone has released several non-treadle version since that time:

Black version (9V version, later ones used 18V):
    [​IMG]

Silver custom shop version:
    [​IMG]

The newest smaller version:
    [​IMG]

I don't know, if Fulltone changed the guts of the blue treadle version each time he released a new non-treadle version. All I can say is that the different non-treadle versions sound significantly different to each other.

14. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

There have been at least 10 versions of the Deja Vibe and each is different! Even with certain versions, there are versions;). The Blue treadle MDV-3, there is a version 1 and version 2....kind of hard to keep track!

OP, one nice thing about the MDV-3 (blue treadle) is the bypass stomp button on the side of the treadle, the previous treadle version(MDV-2) did not have it. The enclosure is solid a heavy like the big grey version(DV-2), which means it can sit on the floor and not take up room on a board. I have one of those strictly for that purpose....if I want to use my small board I can grab that pedal. I think the blue one is one of his better current builds. The old large box white version was the best vibe he has built IMO.
    You can spend more and get a more authentic vibe, but the Deja's are pretty darn good....well made and reasonably priced. Used they are imo the best bang for the buck!

15. chirills

chirills Member

I have both versions of the new v2. The silver box definitely has a different sound to it, more bass and phase, while the blue mdv seems to have a bit more midrange. I will say both sound good and there's a lot you can do to adjust them to your liking with the 3 trimmers.

16. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

I just watched a bunch of demo videos of various vibes. The others are good, but the Retro V2 demos melted my brain. One dude did Machine Gun and it was THE sound spot on. Want. :thud

flyingmusicman likes this.
  17. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Yeah man, it's got THE sound. There are a few other vibes that are built part-for-part to the original univibe specs, but as for sound the RetroVibe nails it and just sounddddsss gooood!

18. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

It sounds thick! The Drybell sounds a little clinical. Hard to tell from clips but I do hear differences.

19. Blackstone

Blackstone Member

[​IMG] I ordered the Retrovibe. I even added some custom “Archenbach” art to it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  20. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 3:36 PM