• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which delay comes close to the Memory Lane...

... In terms of sound and feel but In a smaller form. I don't need tap tempo, but modulation control is a must and a tone knob is welcome.

Thanks

I was sure that that would be the first that people would propose, I haven't played the MLjr but I don't think does actually sound very close to the ML (at least through the clips I´ve heard), it sounds great on its own way though.

I would like an analog delay that sounds closer to the big ML without the size. ideas?

I guess the Deluxe memory man XO or the JHS panther Cub are the best fully analog delay pedals in the market with the Memory Lane 2.

8strings0hair

My main delay on my big board is a Memory Lane.
I just got a Way Huge Echo Puss.
Give me a day, and I'll try to A/B them, but so far I'm loving the Echo Puss. It has exactly those features you're looking for (tone control on repeats & modulation).

delay dude

I guess the Deluxe memory man XO or the JHS panther Cub are the best fully analog delay pedals in the market with the Memory Lane 2.
I would say that the deluxe memory boy would be the better choice (because it is darker than the DMM XO - more like the ML2).

radiospace

As I just posted in another thread -- having just watched a demo of the Diamond Quantum Leap, the delay portions of that pedal remind me somewhat of my Memory Lane 2... maybe take a look and see what you think...

EDIT: just researching the QL further, it doesn't look like it has a tone knob for the delays, so that might be a deal killer for you depending on how important that is...

Last edited:

Dr H3rtz MD

I would say that the deluxe memory boy would be the better choice (because it is darker than the DMM XO - more like the ML2).
I wouldn't call the memory lane 2 dark. The tone control can quite drastically change the feel of the ML2 from very dark and muddy to very bright and chirpy.

But I do think the deluxe memory boy is a good suggestion. Even if it's a bit dark for my tastes, it has the best modulation of the memory toy/boy/man range and a hidden hi-pass tone control. You could also whack an eq in the effects loop, but then it wouldn't really be smaller than a ML2.

Coldacre

... In terms of sound and feel but In a smaller form.
just a suggestion that's outside the box, but why not put the money towards a bigger pedal board? no need to constantly down-size. enjoy the classics pedals like the ML with no compromise.

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
mem lane is tough to beat. i remember using one against a nova delay, timeline, timefactor and dd20 to see how far off analog those digital pedals are. they were good compared to some analog delays, but the mem lane blew them out of the water. that warmth and clarity isnt found in a lot of delays

dm2, ad80, dmm, moog and original echodrive - only tone machines that come close. dmm if you want mod. esp the Howard Davis modded ones

earwax

I don't think the Memory Lane JR sounds like the Memory Lane very much. To me the MLJR was closer to the Memory Man. Thought the Quantum Leap is closer I guess because it is darker but I liked the QL a lot better than I ever liked the ML. I think you could get closer to the ML sound Brigadier or even the Memory Boy as was suggested above. When I owned one I thought it was pretty dark. Trying to get it to be brighter can lead to some really unpleasant knocking sounds. I have to say the the ML was one of the most disappointing delays I have ever owned.

Here is the ML2 vs DMM

My main delay on my big board is a Memory Lane.
I just got a Way Huge Echo Puss.
Give me a day, and I'll try to A/B them, but so far I'm loving the Echo Puss. It has exactly those features you're looking for (tone control on repeats & modulation).
Cool, looking forward to hearing your conclusions.

I wouldn't call the memory lane 2 dark. The tone control can quite drastically change the feel of the ML2 from very dark and muddy to very bright and chirpy.
I should have said that I like the darker sounds that I can find in ML.

I don't think the Memory Lane JR sounds like the Memory Lane very much. To me the MLJR was closer to the Memory Man. Thought the Quantum Leap is closer I guess because it is darker but I liked the QL a lot better than I ever liked the ML. I think you could get closer to the ML sound Brigadier or even the Memory Boy as was suggested above. When I owned one I thought it was pretty dark. Trying to get it to be brighter can lead to some really unpleasant knocking sounds. I have to say the the ML was one of the most disappointing delays I have ever owned.

Here is the ML2 vs DMM

The DMM is a great sounding delay but I´m more after the more ´washy´dark ML sound.

just a suggestion that's outside the box, but why not put the money towards a bigger pedal board? no need to constantly down-size. enjoy the classics pedals like the ML with no compromise.
Getting a bigger board is not an option, I´m a giging musician and I usually travel with public transport, so I need to be able to get all my gear with me at once. Therefore it should fit on my pedaltrain jr together with some other import ant pedals.

earwax

The DMM is a great sounding delay but I´m more after the more ´washy´dark ML sound.

Sounds like the ML is right for you then. Not my cup of tea. Sounds like the Way Huge Supa Puss, Brigadier or maybe even a Carbon Copy would work. Or you could get an old Honda Civic with a hatch back. Cheap and convenient for loading gear.

Sounds like the ML is right for you then. Not my cup of tea. Sounds like the Way Huge Supa Puss, Brigadier or maybe even a Carbon Copy would work. Or you could get an old Honda Civic with a hatch back. Cheap and convenient for loading gear.
:beer thats a great idea, then I could carry my Timeline, a Memory Lane and a couple of others! haha

I didn't care for the Carbon Copy I had, not enough character.

Strymon Brigadier, if it doesn't have to be analog. It ticks all the other boxes.
I really the dBucket algo of my Timeline, its not the same but it can get close. But the Brigadier is not very cheap and I think that If I´m gonna spend so much money on another delay, probably there should exist an analog with the sounds and features I´d like. - I´ll consider it though if nothing else appears.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom