• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which Delay did the Digitech Obscura kick out from your pedalboard?

Zacateca

I am seriously considering getting one, though I don´t really need it. Right now I have a Montavillian and a TC Flashback which work very well together and I also hava a Vapor Trail that is currently out, only because I like having an analog delay around as an option. But after watching some Obscura demos I have to admit that it looks like a seriously good delay pedal with many great features and GAS is creeping back once more...

la noise

Just added it to the fray. May be the best
small footprint delay/bang for buck I have
ever tried. :aok

Zacateca

Anybody else? I am still undecided. Love the small footprint but could it really imitate a good (and usually much bigger) analog delay?

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Just added it to the fray. May be the best
small footprint delay/bang for buck I have
ever tried. :aok
Alright, how good is it? You've had damn near all of them. People are raving about this thing. What say ye?

Stratobuc

Right now I'm using a Belle Epoch, which I like very much. I would like to have a reverse delay function, so I'll be getting an Obscura in the near future.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
I was using a Belle Epoch as my "front of the amp" delay along with a Timeline in my effects loop. I picked up a Obscura when they came out and it took the place of the Belle Epoch for me. The BE was a great sounding Echoplex sim but the Obscura gives me more options in the same space and sounds great too.

I also like that the Obscura has a great buffer that can be turned on and off without going inside the pedal.

Multicellular

Strymon El Cap.

Strymon sounds great, but Obscura has, more sounds, smaller footprint, and can be daisy-chained.

CEFlint

Bumped a Visual Sound Single Tap.
Loved the VS, but the Obscura is on one board now. Great sounding pedal for what I need.
I'd change a few things, such as adding a dry mix option to the reverse and turning off the tape blips when changing tempo via tap.
But at the end of the day, this is really one fine delay pedal.

Jimmy Tango

I understand that obscura can do analog, but can it sound convincingly digital? For when you want perfect and glassy clean repeats....

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
I'll add my two penneth as I'm a huge fan of the Obscura.

A few initial thoughts; I personally really don't like the graphics, but upon opening the pedal is heavy and feels very well made.

It is one if the best, most versatile wonderfully sounding delays out there imho. Unique delays are hard to find; I own and love the OBNE Black Fountain, Flight Time and a Moog MF104m SD. The Obscura can duplicate the sounds of the Moog, if not the feel and creativity of it.

The concerntric knob designs are genius and practical. I find it very instinctive to use, and the tone and degrade functions work across a huge range. My feeling is that it is too cheap ! If Digitech would have sold these for £299, people may have rated them more.

The Obscura is a very very creative pedal; songs and ideas spill out of it, and at the moment it is a permanent fixture on my board.

minty901

only thing that stops me getting it is that it doesn't do any stereo ping ponging or widening whatsoever. so although i havent tried the obscura, im pretty sure it cant replace my tc alter ego v2, because theres nothing more lush than the echorec setting swirling from left to right creating this beautiful kind of reverb under chords.

edit: but if you dont play in stereo then i cant really think of any reason why the obscura couldnt knock any other delay of your board. it looks amazing.

topo morto

Yeah, actually that too - I am stereo and line level now when it comes to reverb (whether I settle on the RV-6 or the Wet - or both!) and my next purchase is likely to be an AE v2 to see if doing the same with delay buys me anything.

minty901

Yeah, actually that too - I am stereo and line level now when it comes to reverb (whether I settle on the RV-6 or the Wet - or both!) and my next purchase is likely to be an AE v2 to see if doing the same with delay buys me anything.
I love the AE V2, I think it could knock a delay and a reverb off your board to be honest. I only really spend time on the EREC2 setting but its by far my favourite delay I've heard, and all the other settings are great too. I could maybe get by without a reverb with the AE V2 even (though I won't because I love reverb).

Be careful with the Flashback/AE though. I haven't read any other reports online about it, but I find its headroom to be pretty poor. If I put my Tech21 Sansamp before it with quite a bit of gain, even the 2290 mode (clean digital) on the Flashback or AE V2 (loaded as a tone print) will clip. This is only a problem if you use amp sims and your delay is placed AFTER the cab sim in the chain. If you have a cab / cab sim after the TC delay, then the clipping is smoothed off really nicely.

Edit: But yeah, I think Flashback + Alter Ego V2 is pretty much an awesome one-two setup that gives just an insane amount of variety, especially when you consider you can load up modulations in the tone print editor (on my Flashback I have a vibrato-laden delay that can go down to 0ms and turn your signal into a vibrato/chorused sound; turn the delay knob up if you want it to be a delay).

topo morto

I am running Tech 21 para driver quite hot into the reverbs at the moment... very low "drive", but set to 'line level' and quite high output level... we shall see how it handles that but I'll not get my hopes up too much yet then! I like running like that as I can go straight to power amp from the effect output if necessary.

minty901

I am running Tech 21 para driver quite hot into the reverbs at the moment... very low "drive", but set to 'line level' and quite high output level... we shall see how it handles that but I'll not get my hopes up too much yet then! I like running like that as I can go straight to power amp from the effect output if necessary.
id be interested to hear how it sounds for you but if you do run your delay after a cab sim (ie. with no other speaker/top-end filtering after it), I'd be very prepared to not be able to use most of the settings. A few of the settings on the AE V2 actually add saturation to the repeats, deliberately. So they are going to be fizzy (like running a distortion direct). When you run into a cab like you said, it will be fine, but going direct you might find a bunch of settings unusable. Copycat especially adds the most distortion; the other settings you can sometimes get by just by lowering the effect level, but still it's a compromise. I run cab sims after my AE V2 and Flashback and like I said, it's an awesome combination -- but without that I'd be wary.

But like I said, I have searched and searched and found no other evidence online of these pedals having poor headroom, so you might get lucky and not experience it. As I said some of the modes add deliberate distortion which is unavoidable, but even the clean modes will distort with a high enough input signal.

topo morto

I'm sure I'll report back somewhere. It might even be cool if it works well as a pre-'cab' delay and I can use something else post, although that will nip the idea of running it stereo in the bud unless I start using something else as an amp sim.

Trending Topics