• AD-900

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

THiwaTT

Looking at the following 3, all are approximately the same price

Way Huge Aqua Puss Mkii (big box)
Boss DM-2W
Maxon AD-900

I tried the small Aqua Puss along with the DM-2W yesterday, unfortunately I didn’t understand the knobs on the DM-2 at the time, so I didn’t get a real chance to hear it with my preferred settings.

I’m looking for a low noise delay. I only use ~100ms of delay time, low mix, and a single repeat to do the classic, faux reverb slap back

Is the AD-900 totally overkill for this?
I like the idea of higher voltage (headroom?) but I definitely don’t need all that delay time, just noticing some local to me for about the same $ as the Boss

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
The DM-2W is my favorite slapback of all time! Not too dark like some analog delays, not too bright like some tape style delays...just right IMHO

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on the genre, your goal and your guitar/amp.

Bright makes the delay very audible at a low mix level.

Old school slap echo was done with Reel to Reel tape was generally a fairly matched tone and added in post rather than a slap hitting the amp at the same time as the original signal.

They were also longer delay time than most peoples idea of ‘slap’.

A darker slap allows you to run the mix hotter, hear the delay without cluttering the attack but can get muddy.
Carbon Copy is super easy for that use.

Dod Rubberneck can be more midfocused.

Ibanez AD9 can be great for staying out of the way as it is ONLY mids.

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Also consider the Ibanez delays. Both the vintage AD-80 (which might be the best analog delay ever made) and the modern mini pedal are great at slapback.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
Oh yeah…

Do you have an effects loop?
I’ve generally always been pedal into amp because my favorite amps didn’t have a loop.

But the ‘slap’ sound clears up a good bit that way.
I’ve also seen amazing tones from people running 100% slap into a separate amp :)

Riffa

I bet they're all great, but since I've never had any of those, I'd suggest the Arion SAD-1. That's my best slapback delay.

THiwaTT

I left out some important details

I’d be running into the front end of a Z Wreck (no loop)

Looking for the stereotypical twangy Tele slapback with a compressor

groovemeister

the dm-2w does a killer slap but i think the dunlop echoplex does it better....remember, the classic 50's slapback sound was tape machine based...

Agreed

I love the OBNE Black Fountain in its Modern mode for slapback. I use one of their Expression Rampers in its A<--->B switchable expression value mode with the Black Fountain V3 set for no Feedback and a quick Time on A, with a longer Time and Feedback on B.

8bitlooper

Platinum Supporting Member
Can’t go wrong with a dm2w (I’ve used a dm-3 for years). I also like the jam Pedals llama for some slap. Although that’s pricey pedal for just one sound maybe.

zenitB

Silver Supporting Member
For me, slap is readily available from any delay- it's just how crisp you want it to sound that might 'make or break' it for you. Recently I got one of the EH Analogizer pedals which is a boost, very short delay and mix. They intend it to be used after your digital delay and it does what they advertize; it adds some grit and some space to what comes before it in the chain. Alone, the pedal sounds terrible to me but it makes other pedals like reverbs and delays a little bit better. They are less than $100 new so if you already have a digital delay - it just might be the secret sauce that you need?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom