Which delay pedal for Comfortably Numb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Figaro, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I read on the Gilmourish website that a Boss DD2 or Deluxe Memory Man is recommended. Can I nail that sound with a less expensive used delay pedal?

2. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

A DD-3 will work well, or any warmer digital delay, but if you're trying to nail the tone from the album, there's a lot going on with the Mistress, Yamaha RA-200, and the rig itself being used, not to mention the obvious ram's head. My personal suggestion, what really makes that solo is what you put into it with your fingers. You can play it with any guitar, any muffy/fuzzy dirt, and whatever modulation and delay that suits you, as long as you play it well. I've heard a lot of folks that can get the tone, but often they put no soul into it, and it shows.

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks! For now I'm just trying to choose the delay to use. I've seen on YouTube that some use a Boss DD20 and some use a Nova Delay. Any opinions/comparisons of those two? It would be nice to be able to save presets but an analog delay would sound better I assume?

4. scotty31

scotty31 Member

DD2's are pretty cheap. Usually run about 100-120.
    And they are well worth it. MIJ DD3's are the same

I prefer warm, digital delays for that particular solo. not sure why.
    The DD20 is a nice option, and the Nova isnt bad either.

Subdecay Echobox is another good one.

5. JPF

JPF Member

Any warm delay which allows you to control the time and depth

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I just saw that the DD20 has an analog mode. Does it sound close to the DD2 because the DD2 does sound great on YouTube.

7. lovhanyou

lovhanyou Member

I've heard a lot of folks that can get the tone, but often they put no soul into it, and it shows.[​IMG]

8. jero

jero Member

The digital delay of the DD-20 sounds closer to the DD-2 than the analog mode imo. The DMM is completely different from the DD-20/DD-2. I own all three.

9. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Really, there is nothing special required for the delay on CNumb. Some kind of echo, a mild chorus to simulate the Yamaha RA-200 rotary cab, saturated drive, and a boatload of intent and woodshedding. Hell, I remember getting lots of compliments when covering it at shows when I was playing through a 2x12" Fender SS combo, a DD-2, and a Rat, along with an '87 Yamaha HSS 'super strat'.
    Get a Flashback or other multi-delay pedal and dial in whatever feels best. Seriously.

10. allanh91

allanh91 Member

I use the Flashback lofi setting. Pretty unbeatable for a nice carpet under your notes.

11. rummy

rummy Member

I also use the Flashback, but tape setting. I'm not sure if it sounds the same, but people recognize it.

12. superdave2001

superdave2001 Silver Supporting Member

Gilmour's delay is so interesting it's causing this THREAD to even ECHO...ECHo....ECho......Echo.....echo....ech.....ec.....e......