Which delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dbp512, Apr 30, 2015.

1. dbp512

dbp512 Member

I bought a guitar just under a year ago, and recently upgraded to an orange micro terror. Now I'm looking for some pedals to expand my tonal repertoire. I have a TC HoF which I really like, partially due to the different algorithms. I really liked the quality of it, so when I found their mojo overdrive for $50, I ordered it (although it seems like its going to take a while to arrive). I mostly play classic rock and blues with a bit of jazz; I'm self taught and I learned the songs I liked. But other than that, I don't really have any one genre that I play or want to replicate. I'm looking for nice, versatile gear that will be able to handle whatever I feel like learning.

I figured the next important pedal is a delay. I was originally very interested in the flashback, as it has the great TC sound and again multiple algorithms to suit multiple needs. Unfortunately TC's pedals use non-replacable footswitches, so when it wears out the its as good as dead. I don't want to have too many TC pedals, which could eventually burn out leaving me with nothing. I’m looking at multiple other pedals, but I'm getting overwhelmed by the amount of choices. Google has lead me to various threads here, so I thought I'd come here to get advise from you knowledgable people.

At the top of the list (in terms of price, features, and awesome factor) is the Strymon Timeline. Countless reviews seem to call it the best delay pedal, or at least an incredibly powerful one with a plethora of useful algorithms and parameters. Since I'll have plenty of time to sit down and tweak all the controls until I nail any sound I'm going for, it seems like the perfect pedal for me. Although some people seem suggest that this pedal is too powerful for someone who is not a delay enthusiast, and a simpler pedal would suit me better (or at least save me a ton of money avoiding features I'd rarely make use of). I have no idea if I'd be a hardened delay lover of just your typical delay user, because my only experience with it was on my modeling amp, which was rather limited.

Some other pedals I was looking at included catalinbread (I've seen/heard several of their other pedals and always been impressed), MXR, way huge, and neunaber (because their wet is so well loved). Although I believe all of these pedals have a single algorithm. I know these are all well liked pedals, but I'm wondering how they'd compare to the TL (according to my needs). Is the TL be something I'd grow into and eventually use to its fullest, or would I be better suited with one of the cheaper alternatives?

2. tuj

tuj Member

honestly, go cheap at first, check out the Mooer gear or boss. buy used. You can snag 2 or 3 of those for the price of one boutique pedal. Build up and try out different things, then you can zoom in on what you really like and flip the cheaper pedals.

3. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

I have the timeline, but I prefer to use the CB Echorec for simple plug and play delay use..definintely rocks the classic rock genre

4. wilto

wilto Member

Got myself an maleko 616 and couldn't be happier.

5. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

IMHO the TC switch problem is blown WAY out of proportion.

By the time your TC switch fails, you're very likely to have fallen for another delay pedal (or 6) anyway. Seriously, the TC is a GREAT pedal, and the toneprints make it even better. I have an original Boss DM-2, which sounds incredible. But when I got the Flashback and found the DM-3 toneprint, the DM-2 got the boot. Now I've got the pristine 2290 sound PLUS the Boss DM analog tone in one pedal.

Especially if it's a "first" delay pedal, the TC is a great way to get exposure to a lot of different tones for cheap. Even better are the Alter Egos if you're into more vintage sounds.

6. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I agree, the switch problem is blown way out of proportion if it hasn't happened to you
    But if you've got one down and another two destined to fail it's like collecting paperweights
    I refuse to try and sell my TC's...I don't want to pass on an unsolvable problem

7. 9520575

9520575 Member

The boss dd7 and dd20 are outstanding delay pedals. Used by many professionals. Cheap & easy to find on the used market. Like all boss pedals they are very reliable.

8. jota

jota Member

I have had about 6 or 7 TC pedals and only one had a switch issue (first Polytune).
    The problem come and went until it never came again!
    Worked fine for the last two or three years I had it.
    All the other (I have 4 in my board right now) have been working solid.
    Also I'm with 59Bassman, DM-3 toneprint is great. That's the one I use.

9. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I like strymon stuff, but didn't bond with the Timeline. That said, the El Capistan is one of my favorite pedals (delay or otherwise) ever.

I've had a handful of TC stuff, gigged it etc...no switch problem ever. The Flashback and the variants are all really great. I had an original Alter Ego for a while that I quite enjoyed.

If you want to try one of those full-featured delays on a budget, check out the Vox Delaylab.

DD-20 is a solid all around. But really, any of the Boss DD series are classics for a reason.

One of my favorite under-the-radar, yet just can't seem to be bumped from my board is the Tech 21 DLA. No menus, but a ton of useful functionality, does a great digital and tape emulation, with modulation and tap. Friendly pedalboard citizen.

My honestly experience though, in a gigging situation...simplicity is best. Having everything laid out gives you the ability to adjust on the fly. You'll find that those awesome presets you dial in and prepare can lose awesomeness in certain rooms or mixes, etc.

10. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I agree with this. I would not dive right into the deep end with a Timeline. After I owned five or six delay pedals I figured I was ready for a Timeline. WRONG. It was just too much for my needs. I think it's a great pedal, but I discovered that I prefer pedals that aren't quite as complex.

The other thing that was important for me was discovering what delay type I preferred. I'd break it down into:
    Digital (clear, 'crisp' repeats)
    Analog (slightly murky repeats)
    Tape Echo (kind of crisp, unique presence)

Then there are the digital ones that copy analog sounds, and let's not forget the delays that add extra modulation on the signal.

Now the Timeline (and the Eventide H9 as well) does a digital version of just about everything, so chances are you can probably find a few really great tones in the pedal.

I think it's important to get a good idea of delay sounds you like before you get a pedal, and you should also keep a your amp in mind. If you like big crisp splashy clean delays then the Orange Amp you have might not get that sound.

11. rsm

rsm Member

If you are new to guitar effects, you may want to consider a multi-effect (Boss, Zoom, Line6, DigiTech, TC Electronic,..) so you can try a number of different types of effects and decide where you want to invest in pedals.

12. dbp512

dbp512 Member

Before my orange I had a fender mustang, so I got to play with a multitude of effects already. I found the only effects I used were overdrive, reverb, and delay. I played around with a bunch of modulation effects, and while they're fun, I didn't find myself using them often; occasionally some vibrato but thats about it. I really don't need any more gain than the orange can provide, but despite that I ordered the TC mojo overdrive pedal (it was $50, how could I go wrong). I also bought the TC HoF which very nicely covers all of my reverb needs. All that remains is a nice delay. In case you couldn't tell, I've been kinda digging TC's pedals, so I was tempted to get the flashback. But I didn't want to order all my pedals from the same manufacturer, at least not without checking out some alternatives.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  13. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

If you just suck up the cost and get yourself a DMM tt1100, you'll never have to look for another delay pedal ever again.

One good pedal can cure GAS, right? right?

14. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

:spit

Sure, of course it does! :bong

15. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I've been wanting a Boss DM-2w lately, but I don't have space for it. It's analog, but it has two very distinctly different modes, so it covers a lot of ground.

16. 71strat

71strat Member

Moog MF104M and a Kyle Chase EP3 Preamp. It is a 100% accurate version of both early and late 70 Echoplex Preamp. It also uses NOS parts.

I have the Moog Super Delay but the MF104M will still get you there.

The EP3 Changes the character of a Delay into an Echoplex. The magic in an Echoplex is mostly the preamp.

Heres a comparison between the Moog and a Timefactor.
    The Moog also has a great built in Drive that can be used stand alone.

https://youtu.be/q-sLFUSAumc

www.chasetone.com secret preamp.

17. fishlog

fishlog Member

This! The DM-2w is pretty sweet. Pretty simple not a lot of features but it just sounds so good!

18. jordane93

jordane93 Member

TC Electronic Nova Repeater is cheap and has a lot of options.