1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aftguitar94, Feb 15, 2009.

1. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

OK, since I'm 14 I don't have a steady income and I don't get paid too much even though I gig a lot. But anyway, I am getting a tube amp soon (finally) and I'm almost 100% positive it won't have built-in FX so I'm gonna need a delay pedal. I'm getting paid 100$ for my next gig in a couple days and I have $20 set aside for tax and shipping if I order online. I'm looking for a pedal that can do The Edge-type stuff for $100 or less. Please help me out.

Thanks,
    BK

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

3. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I'd say go for a used DD-20.

4. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

I've seen some Boss DD-3's on eBay in my price range. Will one of those get the job done? Or if I can find a used MXR Carbon copy maybe?

5. Guitar Goober

Guitar Goober Member

I have a DD-7 which I'd highly recommend. The DD-3 is fairly similar to the DD-7. It doesn't have as long a delay time or hold time as the DD-7 and is only mono, but if you don't need the extras it sounds like the sort of thing you're after. The DD-7 also has an analogue mode which is quite good.

6. LeeSympathetic

LeeSympathetic Supporting Member

Go for a used DD-20 or Nova Delay.
    IMHO the Nova Delay is better.
    I've owned the DD-5, DD-20, and I still own the Nova Delay.
    And I've tried the DD-7 many many times at GC.
    The quality of the Nova Delay is superior compared to the DD-20.
    Trust me, I know what music you're talking about.
    I love U2 and P&W stuff.
    I'm around your age too! High five! (I'm 15.)

7. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

I'll definitely check out the Nova Delay. I don't use delay too much which is another reason why I'm trying to stay with a lower priced pedal but I've been experimenting with it lately as a result of listeing to a lot of U2. :RoCkIn

8. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Member

The DD3 is an excellent delay pedal.

9. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

Ibanez DE7. Unbelievable value/money digital delay.

10. drolling

drolling Member

These are around $69 up here in Canada, and I don't know of anything else out there that'll give you the same *bang-for-the-buck*.

A buddy of mine uses two of 'em in series; one set for slapback & the other for long, spacey trails. Very sophisticated setup for peanuts..

Then again, if you can afford that BOSS double pedal (GigaDelay?), you'll have a lot of processing power right on the tips of your toes. Bells & whistles galor, in a user-friendly package. Even has a built-in loop function for jamming over a chord progression.

I'm a bit of a delay junky myself, and prefer analog pedals, but they're quirky & an acquired taste. If I was looking for a versatile, flexible delay in an affordable package, I'd go with BOSS or Ibanez, no question.

The DigiTech's are nice, too. I've heard nothing but raves over their new hard-wire series & I've got a little DigiDelay that I throw into the gig bag to cover the basics..

11. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

I was just looking at the DE7 like 5 minutes before reading your post. I need to get to the store this week and check some pedals out.

12. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

If you're wanting to do Edge's rhythmic stuff, I'm thinking you're probably going to want something with tap delay. In that price range, as someone mentioned, you're looking at the DD7 with a way to have external tap. Great pedal! You could also try and find a DD5, which is what I am looking for.

13. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people using the DE7 and it does some sounds really well and others not so much. If you're a set it and forget it pedal user, it wouldn't be a bad choice to give it a try.

14. SirAlec

SirAlec Member

I think the Edge used the Deluxe Memoryman for delay.

15. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

He's looking for a delay in the $100 range.

16. Iversen

Iversen Member

The Boss DD-7. Boss DD-20 or the Ibanez DE-7 will get you there fine... and then some. For now, screw analog delay. You learn a lot more from having a shitload of options to experiment with.

:dude

17. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I've used the Boss DD3 for about 15 years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. Great pedal.

18. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just bought a Carbon Copy in the Emporium for $105 shipped. If you're patient, you should be able to find one for that price. You'll be getting something that you can use for years as well.

19. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Just got a Line 6 echopark in the emporium for $55 shipped. You gotta look for them, but the deals are out there. The echopark is a great choice.

20. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I had a Danelectro Dan Echo for a while and really liked it. Could switch between short slapback and longer delays. No hold function, but a nice pedal that can be found cheap.
    [​IMG]
    Also, the Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Echo is two pedals in one for your target price. They have their new body style out, but the older ones worked just fine.
    [​IMG]

Good luck!