• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which Delay unit?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I used a DD-20 for all the U2 I play... it's the best option at a lower price point to cover all the ones he uses.

ZachariahG

i would tell you to pick up an Evintide Timefactor. a bit more expensive than the dd20, but i think it sounds wayyy better. and it has so many options.

jamison162

i would tell you to pick up an Evintide Timefactor. a bit more expensive than the dd20, but i think it sounds wayyy better. and it has so many options.
Depends on who you ask. Gotta try both for yourself. I've tried all the latest offerings including the Nova and Eventide units, still have and love my DD-20.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I just got a Timeline yesterday and so far I'm blown away! :bow

ninjaaron

Does to me, it's a valid question. Everything affects everything. I'de like to know as well.
True enough. Everything does effect everything. However, you don't know how it's going to affect your rig until you try it. If most of you rig is TB, and you put a Pedal at the end with a really high quality buffer, it can improve your tone.

6 Boss Buffers in a row = tone suck

6 TB pedals in a row w/o buffer = tone suck

1 great buffer -> 6 TB pedals -> 1 more great buffer = tonal awesomeness.

If it's not true bypass, then you should inqure as to the input and ouput impedance, as well as the transistors used in the Buffer. Tube, JFET and MOSFET buffers with 1 or 2 MOhm impedance can be awesome input buffers, and acutually improve your tone. Couple that with a low impedance out to send to your amp, and your tone will really sing. I think this is what the ZVex SHO is.

So if you really want to open that can of worms, there is a lot more to be considered than TB vs buffered.

Best way to figure it out?

Try one with your rig and see if you like it. If it sounds good, it is good.

Last edited:

DamageG

The TimeLine is not true bypass. But it does have a 1 Meg input impedance and wide dynamic range.

With a stereo pedal, there are some problems with true bypass. On the TimeLine, if you plug into the left channel only, you have right and left stereo outputs.

If you want true bypass then you have to choose where to send the input, left or left and right. If you send it to the left then you lose the right stereo output when you go to bypass. If you switch the input to the left and right output channels then the input sees the parallel combination of the two amps (and cables) or mixers or whatever you have hooked up. Going into a mixer would be really problematic because of the low input impedances. Even going into two amps would be half the input impedance and twice the cable length.

So we chose to have a high input impedance so that you could run the guitar directly in and make as transparent a buffer circuit as we could. This way you retain the stereo outputs and the tone is the same regardless of what you hook up to the output.

Hope this helps.

ninjaaron

So we chose to have a high input impedance so that you could run the guitar directly in and make as transparent a buffer circuit as we could. This way you retain the stereo outputs and the tone is the same regardless of what you hook up to the output.

Hope this helps.
what kind of transistor are you using for the buffer?

mds

I own and use a dd-20 and a DL-4. I prefer the DL-4's sound and some of the features...DD-20's presets and BPM settings can be useful. My favorite sounding delay is the T Rex. MIDI in too, which is pretty killin'...

DamageG

what kind of transistor are you using for the buffer?
We use a discrete JEFT as a source follower for low noise and high input impedance. Then a low noise op-amp to make up for the 1dB loss in gain from the FET circuit. That signal is mixed with the wet signal and sent to the output. Bypass is the same as 100% dry.

ninjaaron

We use a discrete JEFT as a source follower for low noise and high input impedance. Then a low noise op-amp to make up for the 1dB loss in gain from the FET circuit. That signal is mixed with the wet signal and sent to the output. Bypass is the same as 100% dry.
:bow

DamageG

So if you really want to open that can of worms, there is a lot more to be considered than TB vs buffered.
I concur 100%. True bypass is not always better. The problem is that there are some really lousy input and output stages that are better off being bypassed. But even lousy is only lousy if we are talking pro-audio. Since it's guitar, the "imperfections" can be what you are looking for. There is no easy answer, each situation is different.

Bobster

Hmm, i've heard it mentioned on a few websites that he uses the EHX DMM and a TC Unit? Anyone heard of this as well?

ninjaaron

I concur 100%. True bypass is not always better. The problem is that there are some really lousy input and output stages that are better off being bypassed. But even lousy is only lousy if we are talking pro-audio. Since it's guitar, the "imperfections" can be what you are looking for. There is no easy answer, each situation is different.
Absolutely. Sometimes just a little high end roll off from one too many cheap buffers, or a high impedance signal going through long cables can be the thing that makes your tone.

Trending Topics