Which Diezel is better for my style?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Jun 19, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

After going back and forth between atleast 15 different amps Ive narrowed down my search for the ultimate amp to 2 Diezels:

The Diezel VH4/VH4-S (not sure)
    or
    The Diezel Herbert.
    (I am going to run the one I choose threw a Diezel 4X12)

I was wondering which one would be better for me, I play in a band that likes to play LOUD! I want to have a very, very CLEAN clean sound out of it because I like to use delays alot with clean, But, I also NEED the amp to be able to produce extremely high gain sounds, ones that would make a triple rectifier cry. I also want it to have a nice channel 2/OD channel. My style of music/my bands style of music ranges from- Blues rock/classic rock/funk/metal/brit pop/brit rock, and just about every style. Distortion/fuzz is a big part of my sound. As many of you on here know I am VERY big on fx pedals and NEED, I cant stress this enough, NEEEEEDD the amp to handle effects very well and dont want the tone yo get coloured too much. I will be running anywhere from 10-20+ pedals into the amp at any givven time based on which board(s) I am running. I will be using a Fender Lite ash strat and a 52' ri. Tele threw it, and am currently saving up for either a James trussart steelcaster or another strat of some sort. As I said we play LOUD and I dont want the clean to break up too much at high volumes, would a THD hot plate help me out? Well tell me which one you guys think would suit my needs the best. I tried both of them out at a recent guitar show that was held in Toronto and really, really liked both equally. I didnt have enough time with them so I dont really remeber much, except for the VH4 had a crazy amount of gain on CH.4...almost tooo much! Thanks in advance for suggestions.

In case your wondering the other amp that was close to these was the Bad Cat customshop a/b 50, but Im looking for a nice high gain head with good clean that I can plug into a 4x12 and want it to have fx loop, and other features. Plain and simple, I like the Diezels more.

2. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

The best advice is to play both then pick the one you like best! You can find Herberts at alot of Guitar Centers although VH-4's are tough to find. I'd suggest the Herbert based on what your needs are though. Good clean, plenty of Gain and at 180watts it may have enough volume to kill your lawn :)

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

ya ... the hotplate will give you more headroom at higher volumes.

:AOK

4. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

dude. you need to get the Diezel Herbert, this is the amp you really want. VERY loud. it's clean channel, is pristine and buttery. and CLEAN its actually clean, theres no GAIN knob, cuz you don't need it. its a clean channel that sounds amazing with FX, OD pedals, DELAYS! chorus, phaser, you name it...its great. the Herbert has 3 different FX loops for you to use. its unbelievable. after owning this amp i cant believe i ever wanted a dual rectifier. the herbert's high gain distortion is so powerful and flexible and full of immense clarity!! you cant get as brutal as you want, or take it down to a nice crunch tone or a bluesy grind. channel two has a -/+ switch to change the gain structure from an overdriven fender to the full out best jcm 800 hotrod you've ever heard. it's midi switchable, switchable fx loop(as well as series and parralel loops, an amazing mid cut feature thats actually musical, useful and good sounding. two switchable master volumes, many options for solo boosts, this amp can combine 6L6 , el34 and 6550's all at the same time (theres 6 power tubes and its 180 watts) it's the best rock amp in the world. it can do anything, and excel at it. you really need to buy a Diezel Herbert. and do your amp justice by purchasing a Diezel cab too.
    you should check out http://www.diffusion-audio.com they're the Canadian Diezel distributor and are great to talk to and a pleasure to deal with. Living in Toronto, myself, it's next to impossible to find Diezel stuff anywhere else locally.

5. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

ps, i really doubt you'll need a hot plate at 180watts. theres plenty of head room. the master volume is amazing, it sounds great at low levels too.
    this is also the best sounding loud and quiet amp ever.

6. multifoil 88

multifoil 88 Member

+ 1000 for Scoeb .....do yourself a favor get the Herbert .... I did

[​IMG]

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Funny that you mention Diffusion, it was their booth at the vintage guitar show that I played the Diezels at, both the VH4 and herbert, and they also had an einstein (everyone seems to love that amp around here), they also had some Fuchs, Custom audio amplifiers, two rock and some wicked suhr & vigier guitars, they really sell the best stuff. Im going to be purchasing the one that I decide on from them, cause' like I said theyre really nice guys, and they were offering me the head for $4200 brand new, and head and cab for roughly $5000, a good deal if you ask me.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

why do soo many of you prefer the Herbert over the VH4? Does the herbert have all the features of the VH4 minus the 4th channel?

9. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

who need 3 channel if you have 20 pedals?

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

13. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

For you a Herbert, more of a modern metal sound in channel 3 with the scooped mid. I like the VH4 more, I've owned the Herbert as well. For me VH4 was more organic and I liked the clean more. The xtra channel gave me a clean/crunch/metal/lead set up, though I use it differently now as I run a second preamp. Plus I like the individual channel inserts. The Herbert can be run close to the same by using the programmable mid scoop as a metal/lead option, scooped for metal, not for lead. Both have parallel loops so tone can be uncompromised. Both are awesome and some day I might run the Herbert again with the VH4. I decided to use a CAE preamp instead of the Herbert and it is almost the exact same sound as the Herbert with one less head to carry. But if I find a Herbert for a reasonable price I will probably get one again, with the VH4 being my main amp.

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I dont know why, but, based on what I remeber I liked the VH4 alot more, and like I said I need a really CLEAN clean, pristine clean, god like clean, and I also want a brutal distortion, I really cant sit down anywhere in Toronto and Try either one out let alone a/b them, If I wanted to try them out Id have to drive 590km to Montreal... (diffussion audio, canadian distributor) Im not really looking for a modern metal sound just need some really heavy gain and pristine clean like I said. I still dont know, and dont know how to decide, good thing I still have a few months left. Maybe after I get the one I decide to go with Ill be able to get the other one in a few months too and run them stereo. Tough decisions...:(

15. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Damn, now I want to do that again...

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

LOL:):):)...it wouldnt be a bad sounding rig thats for sure...

17. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

hey dude, if you wanna hear the 3rd channel on a Herbert and the 3rd channel on a VH4 combined check out the song Grenades on my bands myspace page here.

18. The Whiz

The Whiz Member