Which Digitech Whammy model is better?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MagnumSSS, Dec 5, 2005.

1. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Howdy, I'm trying to decide which Whammy pedal to get. I'm leaning toward the Whammy II primarily b/c it offers the ability to toggle between the presets with a footswitch. The Whammy IV does not offer this, but it seem to have a midi jack on it for hooking up a midi controller.

Which sounds better? (I've played a Whammy IV, the reissue model, most recent...but have not played the Whammy II)

What is the generally accepted midi controller of choice (simple model) for toggeling between the presets on the Whammy IV?

Thanks.

Mag

2. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

the 1rst gen., the original "sounds the best", the the newer one has all those new moddern features.... mmmmmmm

either way I think there cool, I can make my guitar sound and meow like a ally cat ;)

3. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

I had a XP100 for awhile. I think its simlar to the II. I didn't like it as much as the Whammy I. The LED screen was constantly on the fritz. I had to recalibrate the unit about twice a month. I thought the thing was broke for a year before I found a recab website. I'd prefer a Whammy IV, in fact I plan to purchase one '06.

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Wh-1 is the only one that sounds awesome. THat is why all pro's and major studios have them. Analogman has a TBS mod for them, too.

5. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Hmmmm........I've heard great things about the WH-II......and I need to toggle via a footswitch through the presets....so I think I'm just gonna go for that one. I cannot afford the price of admission on the WH-1. Thanks for the tip on Analogman...I wonder if the WH-2 can be TB'd?

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Add a slight amount of compression to your WH-II and your there. The big benefit to the original whammy is the self adjusting or compensating gain control, which was eliminated in further editions. The thing that freaks out the front end of the WH-II and beyond is the punches it tries to respond to when the player is diggin' in as to say. Don't squash the incoming signal too much, but more of a limiting would help.

TheGrooveking

PS,

I have all of them, and the Whammy II is my choice to use, because I can toggle through the presets.

7. drolling

drolling Member

I somehow knew you would have them all, and was hoping you'd wade in with the correct info. Thanks!

How about a comparison sound-wise?

I've got a current RI that I use for *special* effects exclusively. It wouldn't be my first choice for pitch shifted tones.

But I tried the original in a shop back in the 80s, and IIRC, wasn't particularly knocked out by its performance (tracking/tone). Is the new one really that much worse?

8. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

I seen Whammy II's all over the Harmony Central classifieds for well under $200. See for yourself.
    www.harmonycentral.com

9. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

the wh1 sounds and tracks the best.

the wh2 is great due to the toggling, but the input gain can be a pain in the ass. it sucks to have to use a compressor to make sure it doesnt peak and distort your signal.

the wh2 is also much larger than the wh1.

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've had them all...for tracking and tone I'd rate them:

I
    II
    IV
    XP-100

The II is a good value (going for what, $100?), same IVL Technology stuff inside as the I (may be some changes). It's not as solid as the other ones, esp. the I, but I also enjoyed the toggle option.
    Greg