• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which Dimarzio VV for middle position?

windwalke9649

So h the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage alnico II Area pickups have become my go to, not only got for myself, but for customers who want a great pickup, but that's also noiseless, not a simple endevor.

I've used all of them in all positions, but I'm such with what to do in this instance. I just picked up a 10 year old Mexican made Strat, anyone who's ever dealt with MIM Fender knows that for the most part its a crapshoot you can find real gems that make you wonder why anyone would sell a guitar this nice so cheap. We've also come across ones that with more then Les Pauls, they're really stale sounding, incapable of maintaining a good stop setup, etc. The one I recently bought is the former not the latter, really well made, no flaws really light, and best of all except for the first month so he owned it never left the guitar cases at 10 years he owned.
I bought it with the full plan of getting the electronics, the tremolo, tundra, etc and turn into a workhorse.
Typically I go for vintage output pickups, then if I wanted to increase the output I go to my pedalboard or amplifier. This time however I'm going for a hotter bluesy output.
I'm putting the Pro 54/neck, the Heavy Blues2 /bridge, but I'm at a loss for the middle. This wont be the first guitar that I used both of those pickups in those positions. But I usually have the output balanced between the 3; Pro54/area61/H. Blues 2, or. Area58/58/61, area pro54/H. Blues2/soloist, er tc.

This time no I'm at a loss for what to put in there, I'm thinking maybe I should go with a much lower output, like the Area67 to emphasize that inbetween sound in position 2/4, othertimes in think just put the Area 58.
before your suggestions let me tell you how it'll be wired though -

it will have all the normal 5 Way switch positions , plus I can add the bridge pickup to the neck, or neck middle bridge, and these will operate in either series or parallel (I do this strictly for the neck/bridge in series, those positions increase the output a lot which is why I tend to stay with lower output pickup. The bridge/neck in series gives a very thick, fa tand thumpy tone; using pickups with top much output can make it sound dull.

So, suggestions. The Pro 54/neck Heavy Blues 2/bridge are a definite, so suggestions that do not take that into account won't help me, nor will anything that says z you should use "X" in the neck position. I have wired up and played almost every single coil made so I know what I want to use, I know this may come across as arrogant but I just want to put it out there if I don't, I know half of the suggestions will be telling me to you something completely different that I'll never use. Thanks

Analog Kid

Gold Supporting Member
If you were looking for consistent output, I would suggest another 54 Pro or Area 61 for the middle spot.

If you are wanting less output, you are on the right track with Area 58 or 67. Which is right for you...I can't say, but I haven't made that decision myself. But, I spoke to someone at Dimarzio on the phone about my conundrum and he kept on bringing up the 67 if I wanted lots of "quack" in positions 2 & 4, even though it would be paired with a moderate output HB in the bridge position. Said I would still get the quack with the 58 in the middle, but the extra brightness of the 67 would really bring it out better. So, I am probably going the Area 67. Hope this helps.

windwalke9649

If you were looking for consistent output, I would suggest another 54 Pro or Area 61 for the middle spot.

If you are wanting less output, you are on the right track with Area 58 or 67. Which is right for you...I can't say, but I haven't made that decision myself. But, I spoke to someone at Dimarzio on the phone about my conundrum and he kept on bringing up the 67 if I wanted lots of "quack" in positions 2 & 4, even though it would be paired with a moderate output HB in the bridge position. Said I would still get the quack with the 58 in the middle, but the extra brightness of the 67 would really bring it out better. So, I am probably going the Area 67. Hope this helps.
The Area67 is out for me, had been early on, I don't know why I included it. I'm just not a fan of that tone. The company's description of it as "steely" was an apt one, it's too bright in a metallic, almost brittle way. Though it's a different pickup, my personal issues with it were the same I have for the Fender Vintage Noiseless, though the FVN also had a nasally quality to it as well that I didn't particularly like.
I like Dimarzio, but for some reason I find they really push the Area 67, or they did few years ago when they were new. It was something I noticed happening in every article, advertisements and comments by people associated with Dimarzio, it was something that w was really apparent to me, especially since IMO while it is good pickup for what it is, it didn't really deserve THAT much focus.
I believe it was some internal corporate sales strategy. Like when you go to a store that's running some kind of special product push, and all the floor workers are all pushing them. Ive worked in sales for16-years and have had experience with them; the sales reps are given some bonus or other incentive.
i could be way off, bit it reeks of that to me. I'd go with the 58 if I do decide to go with a lower output than the rest. I'm using them on a maple neck Strat, and I find that they tend to run a bit bright/punchier than the rosewood fretboard, so id probably use another Pro 54 than an Area 61. This will be the first time I put a Pro 54 and H. Blues 2 on a maple fretboard. They're supposed to have more midrange and less treble than the Area,58/6!'s, and rosewood tends to have a more scooped tone. So I don't know if I'll even line all that added midrange, makes me think of the Clapton Strat's midrange boost; its great to be able to use for a solo or something like that and you want a strong punch to it, but I wouldn't want it to b be likethat all the time. I'll have to wait and see.

stinkfoot

I love the 54 Pro in both neck and middle - I have them in two of my guitars, mated with an Air Classic at the bridge. Good stuff!

TheGuildedAge

I have a 54 pro neck/middle and heavy blues 2 neck.

A little less sparkle and quack, but more punch.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom