Which direction are amp trends moving?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrplr71, Apr 10, 2015.

1. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

With Kemper's here and Axe-Fx lot of people are touting them, but I see more guys are using rack stuff again. Just curious where do you see amp trends moving? I see a lot of what I describe as Hi-Fi tube amps with super clean curcuits with Bogner and some of the other boutique builders. Any thoughts as to where we will be in say 10 years? I tend to think that music trends revolve in a circle for instance in the 80's I had a Peavey VTM and a Roland GP-16. and I am starting to see racks brought back.

2. rsm

rsm Member

Solid state. I just bought two solid state amps. I may have my own trend of one, I guess. ;)

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

The KPA and Axe FX users have a big voice but are comparatively,
    a relatively small niche of users compared to all tube amps.

Most of the people using these wunder boxxen have moderate to severe volume restrictions, so they don't have many other choices.

Keep your Amps and your FX Processing separate over the long haul.

I understand a whole new generation is discovering all these new multi-function sound toys and they can be a blast, but once the honeymoon is over, you see you're using maybe one or two favorite patches.

As far as music trends, heavily guitar centric music has given way to the guitarist going back to playing a supporting role to the vocals.

4. 12AX7

12AX7 Member

I agree, it's a revolving circle.

Been playing for over 30 years, and I've only ever heard two sounds out of the electric guitar: clean and overdrive.

I'm sure in 10 years, amps/processors/pedals etc. will still be making these two sounds...

For me, the trend stops at whatever works with the instruments I play and what I can fit into a 6U rack case...

5. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I think the major trends will continue to be smaller sizes, lighter weight, more features/control.

Class D solid state and digital are what I personally think will continue growing, while traditional tube amps will continue to diminish. I'm not sure about racks. The odd thing is they are so big and bulky which I think goes against a lot of what is popular these days. With power amp tech going like it is, there seems to be less need for such a big rack. Maybe newer formats for racks will start coming out? I'd think a lot of the guys who were using racks are probably drawn to using DAWs these days, but that's just a guess.

6. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Member

"...while traditional tube amps will continue to diminish."

What? Is this a post from the 80's? :)

Pretty sure there are more tube guitar amps being produced today than at any time in history.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Class D is not built to be repaired. It is built to reduce human labor costs,
    but you're gonna pay plenty of human labor costs when that puppy breaks out of warranty. It will have to go back to an authorized service center where they will replace the entire defective board.

Imagine what it would take to trouble shoot, disconnect and replace the control panel mother board in a KPA.

This is one power surge away from becoming a $1700.00 door stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pepedede

pepedede Member

I think the OP is right in describing more hi-fi type amps which sit well in the mix and with lower power as stage monitoring improves and the use of IEM's the days of needing a 100w-200w amp is really over now.

9. somedude

somedude Member

And small/cheap tube mini-amps are taking a chunk out of the solid state/modelling amp market.

10. gtrplr71

No I posted it today.

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

to the grave as music seems to be heading?

12. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

So I post my personal thoughts in answer the OP's question, and suddenly the whole thread becomes about telling me why I'm wrong :huh

13. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

So true....all a circle. When I had my Kemper, I was initially enamoured over the multitude of tones and models but in the end used 3 main sounds. Great setup with everything in one box but I realized that I'd rather run something else.

I think the mini-amps are going to continue in full force. Lighter weight, great tones and just enough power for many smaller gigs.

14. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I would like to see a true regression where people actually know how to play their instruments regardless of what equipment try use. Even better though if a resurgence of acoustic instruments become the main theme. That'll separate the real players from the noise makers.

15. rsm

rsm Member

Nah, just a few tube curmudgeons ;)

I've been using digital modeling for the last few years. I'm changing things up now, and I've not been happy with the effects in my modelers, granted I don't have an AxeFx...the amp models have been fine. Very happy with my Line6 AMPLIFi FX100, and thought about the Firehawk...which is still an option.

Speaking of the '80s, I just picked up two new solid state amps, both are Roland Cube-80GX (delivered today, just stopped playing after about three hours!). I dig the JC-120 cleans without the weight.

Next up, I plan to build a new pedal board...I'm on the waitlist for the Fractal FX8 too. If the pedal board isn't too big / cumbersome, I may wait on the FX8. If / when I get the FX8, I will have the pedals to model and compare... win/win for me IMO.

16. gtrplr71

So true

17. e???

e??? Member

I think tube amps and analog will keep getting bigger. And using tape reels for recording. Its become really obvious that technology keeps progressing, but isn't helping our sounds much. Thus vintage gear, more boutique tube amps and pedals. Seems like the solid state and modeling amp sections at guitar center have even been getting smaller.

18. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

i'm kinda thinking more hybrid amps. tubes are still very popular and as mentioned smaller low wattage tube amps are all the rage these days. think this will persist with digital fx added. so far the amps that do this have been kinda meh but i'm guessing this will improve for a best of both worlds kinda thing.

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I don't know about amp trends overall but my personal amp trend over the last 10 years has been smaller and smaller. From large heads and 2x12 cabs to 1 x12 combos then finally mini heads and 1x12 cabs....could just be age. lol! Bob

20. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Actually it is age. I can't haul around 80 lb. combo amps anymore so I've opted for separate head/cab options for ease of transport and saving my back.
    My pedal board has gone from a 2-power supply hungry mega board to a small pedal train with 5 pedals.

With age, for me, comes simplicity in everything. The less clutter and weight the better. The "trend" for me is still all valve amps but fewer of them with less EFX. Still need my Moog Taurus 3 Bass Pedals though. I'll never part with those.:)