Which Disaster Area controller is for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jsytsma, Mar 7, 2015.

1. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

So I'm considering a midi controller to clean up things on my board.

I have the Strymon trifecta, but I don't use the Mobius as often as the other two.

Ideally, I'd love to control presets (synced between devices?) and tap tempo.

The bit I'm not sure about is whether or not I should just control the BigSky and Timeline and NOT bring in the Mobius, or whether there's an easy way to keep the Mobius bypassed until I have need of it

Anyone a midi expert here?

2. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Check out the DMC-8D.

3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I keep looking at the 6D or 8D and wondering if they're overkill for what I want...but also I'm worried that the smaller ones won't quite give me the ease of functionality that I want

4. GuitaRing

GuitaRing Member

If you want regular non MIDI pedals controlled too, look into the DPC8-EZ or the DPC5. If you simply want MIDI control of the Strymons then DMC6 or 8 for the most control, or the 3 for less. If you just want to set up banks on every unit, i.e. preset one for all units go together, then you can use a simpler one. Some double as looper control (Timeline), favorite switches to recall your favs, etc.

5. yawiney

yawiney Member

Be sure to consider the cabling in back. I'm 2nd guessing the DPC for this reason since I want pancake types to save depth on my board.
    http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dpc-8ez
    If you scroll down it shows the back. Very tight fit if you fill it up.

6. crxshdxmmy

Look at the Gen2 DMC-4 then. It can control patch changes on 3 devices and give you tap tempo.

7. crxshdxmmy

Yeah... pancakes will never work on both ends. If you're handy with a soldering iron though, I'm sure you cobble together something with LAVA on the DPC end and pancake on the other.

8. yawiney

yawiney Member

Yeah, they recomend lava on the D.A. site. I'm not ruling it out. I like the custom features of American loopers and was looking for a reason to rule it out really. The DPC does alot more in general.

9. crxshdxmmy

As far as MIDI goes, I have a really simple rig... but I've definitely come to appreciate all it can do. And after spending awhile with a DPC-5 on my board — even though it was complete overkill for me — having all that power at one tap of a button is pretty awesome.

Those jacks do get tight on the back though. You'll definitely need LAVA or George L Solderless if you go that route.

10. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

The DPC-8EZ does not make a good MIDI controller. It's fine if you are mainly looking for a bypass looper and would also find it convenient to send out a preset change to 1 other device (or multiple devices on the same channel). Based on your requirements, it'll get you by, but let me explain a particular scenario why it's not such a great thing to sync preset #s between multiple devices like this.

It's about (bad) redundancy. BigSky #1 is a room reverb you use a lot. Timeline #1 is an analog delay. You use these for a lot of songs. Another song comes and you want to use your "stock" room reverb and a reverse delay. So, you set #2 in the Timeline as your reverse delay, but you also need to set #2 in the BigSky for your common reverb sound, so you end up copying patch #1 to patch #2 in the BigSky. Now you want the analog delay you like, but with a shimmer reverb. So, #3 in the BigSky is a new preset, but you have to copy #1 to #3 in the Timeline. If you keep following that procedure, you will have a real mess on your hands and eat up presets in each device with copies of presets.

Okay, so you can get by on it, you can work out a system and put some logic behind it. I did that for years in the 90's. The thing that really sinks the ship though is, one day you realize your stock room reverb could be better if you just adjusted the tone, or maybe the mix. Now, you want to make that change for every copy of the room reverb you've made throughout the device. What a bear this becomes. And what if you do put the Mobius into the mix? The problem grows exponentially (ie: You like the #1 sounds in your BigSky and Timeline, but you'd like to have the option for either a Tremolo or Flanger). And don't forget that the loop presets in the DPC-8EZ also count as a 4th device that may be stretched out due to small changes you want in sounds there (different pedals bypassed). As I said, I've lived through this in the 90's, I would never go back to a system like that in a million years. Unfortunately, the easiest way to get into MIDI usually leads to a dead end frustration. In the 90's, the dead end was all we had, there just weren't a lot of different ways to do it, but now there are so many great, programmable MIDI controllers out there with a lot of storage capacity.

That being said, I own and use the DPC-8EZ and I think it is a fantastic bypass looper made even better by the fact that I take MIDI control of IT. It's a seriously great device, just not as a MIDI controller.

Of their range of devices, the DPC-5 appears to be stronger MIDI solution with loops (if you want those), or go with their larger devices. Anything that you can program to send out different preset change commands on several different MIDI channels is infinitely better than what the DPC-8EZ offers in this one regard.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Smashies likes this.
  11. crxshdxmmy

I think the DPC-8 needs a DMC of some kind to go with it if you want full MIDI control. (Most DPC-8s I've seen have a DMC-8 nearby.) But I didn't get the sense the OP wanted anything other than something to change presets... so a DPC of any kind would probably be overkill.

12. porticoguitar1

porticoguitar1 Member

Yup. I was between this and the 8D. I went bigger because I might add a 4th midi device and I wanted a little more ease with the TL looper functionally. Both great options. You can set anything to a "don't care" setting so your möbius won't even know what's happening if you so desire with either of these amazing midi controllers.

13. jmarlwin

jmarlwin Member

Hi. Anybody know if evidence audio SIS plugs will fit in the DPC8-EZ? Im about to pull the trigger but i don't want to switch from EA to GLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk