Which distortion pedal is currently on your board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by G34RSLU7, May 18, 2019.

1. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

I love it. ;) If amplike is the keyword, this is the one. Not to forget the really good sound and also it has quite a few features.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  2. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

I wanna take the risk and buy one, but none of the demo's i heard so far have convinced me, i wish i could try one locally

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

For rock/hard rock I’d use a Bogner Red pedal, or possibly an EVH/MXR 5150. Either one of those is capable of getting those type of tones.
    For metal/thrash/grindcore/modern metal tones, I’d look elsewhere.

4. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

5. realdealblues

realdealblues Supporting Member

Not much dirt anymore. Working on getting down to two boards.

Small Quick Grab-N-Go Board
    MXR Custom Badass Overdrive

Bigger Main Board
    Ibanez TS808
    Maxon SD9

Nothing really fancy for me anymore. Was trying out a Bogner Blue Mini and a Xotic BB Preamp AT model the last few weeks to see if they could boot off the TS808 and the SD9 but I like the SD9 more than the Bogner Blue Mini and I like the Tubescreamer more than the BB Preamp.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  6. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

Well, Blackstone arrived and its the first time an overdrive/distortion has actually 'wowed' me.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it arrived with a non working mode footswitch. It worked fine using a battery but not through the DC jack? Replaced the footswitch and it still didn't work! Turns out I had to re-flow the DC jack solder pads and its perfect. I would be PISSED as the seller made no mention of this, but its working and honestly sounds AMAZING. :) I should ask for reimbursement for the two hours it took to get it fixed...
    Anyway, for those of you using pristine clean pedal platform amps, you really need to try one of these.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Moody Tuner likes this.
  7. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

8. Pauly B

Pauly B Member

9. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Just this...

[​IMG]

Not Orange and MIM#1 like this.
  10. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Dirt pedals i am currently using:

Skreddy Mayonaise
    Cornish G2
    Lovepedal
    Super six
    Eternity
    Les Lius
    Fulltone Gt 500
    Keeley ultra ds1
    Analogman KoT
    Cbread dirty little secret
    BJFE LGW
    Klon ktr

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Moody Tuner and G34RSLU7 like this.
  11. schizo910

schizo910 Member

Well, that is a pretty accurate way to describe it...

I sport an LA Lady and a Catalinbread 5F6 on my board.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Not Orange and G34RSLU7 like this.
  12. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

That's a problem unless you're in China.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  13. Tootone

Tootone Member

Big Board = Maxon OD808 into TurboRAT*.

Small Board = Fulltone OCD v2.0

I used to have a Deluxe Big Muff after the RAT, but removed it because:-

a) I can't tame the noise.
    b) The TurboRAT with drive cranked can cover the Muff territory fairly adequately.
    c) The new band set list is pretty "sober"... barring 1 song where the Muff is perfect, but not worth the hassle for 1 song.

14. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

I mostly play clean these days but when I want the classic dirty tones I love I toss back and forth between an 808ri stacked into a mij ds1 for hard rock stuff and a CJOD from @pickdropper for something more lively and less saturated. The Clay Jones thing is seriously sweet.

[​IMG]

pickdropper likes this.
  15. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

The Filaments is a good do-it-all kind of pedal. It covers a lot of ground. I just didn't feel like it did any particular tone setting 'great' though, which was why I got rid of it.

The Dracarys has a nice modern, refined, compressed feel to it with the tight setting. The open one is more 80s and 90s metal sounding. I remember liking it, but honestly I haven't given it enough of a chance. I'll probably have to plug it in this weekend and give it another chance. I know there was nothing I disliked about it.

The MI Audio Delta Megalith is not as versatile. It does one thing - punch you in the face high gain metal. There is no low or medium gain setting... just high and higher. But with that said, it does have tons of settings, in fact it has a wider palette than almost any pedal I've used. It has an American Mesa type stock setting, a Marshall type setting, and a third which is kind of (ahem) djenty sounding (heavy on the mids with bass rolled off).

It has a contour knob best described by them - "Fully clock-wise, it’s fat and midrangy, with a slightly rolled off top end. As the CONTOUR control is turned down, the mids start to scoop out, and the sub-bass frequencies tighten up. This is a great control for further refinement of the overall high gain tone. You can also think of this as an alternate midrange control. Try running the MID EQ control high and the CONTOUR low (also adjusting the EQ shift), and visa versa for a huge range of tones."

So basically, you pick your type of amp, then adjust contour, then fine tune with the EQ.

When it comes to the KSR Ares, there is nothing I've heard that I don't like. It does mid gain up to brutal metal. I haven't heard a clip yet I didn't love, even ones at NAMM with crappy audio were incredible. And if it's any where near as good as my KSR Ares then I'm sold!

BTW, love that someone above repped the Sinvertek No. 5!!! What a killer pedal. More like the Filaments, in that it does it all. I love the varied demos - Ola Englund, Pete Thorn, TPS, Brett Kingman, Nick Johnston... literally showing how well it does different genres. Sinvertek/CKK make some killer stuff. I have the No. 5, the Anka, and the Flaming Lips. All killer pedals that could have boutique labeling thrown on and sell for $250 easy.

Not Orange and G34RSLU7 like this.
  16. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

ARRGGHH! Thanks a lot. Now I have four, possibly five pedals to decide between! :mad:

:D

I guess I'll just have to get the entire collectors set. ;)

USMarine75 and G34RSLU7 like this.
  17. Kurt Leege

Kurt Leege Member

Barber Burn Unit
    Zvex Double Rock

This gives me a full range of overdrive, distortion and boost.

I am very tempted to pick up one of the Wilson Effects pedals though. I recently got the Uber Haze and they seem to have some nice overdrive/distortion units in their line.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  18. Kurt Leege

Kurt Leege Member

I’d also like to fix my old shredmaster as that thing dimed with the contour rolled off gets such a unique, gorgeously thick drive.

19. Beyondless

Beyondless Member

Righting my wrong here:
    The Rat 2 has significantly less output than other pedals. It's a problem for me.
    Go back to hunting your better/perfect Rat, and hang on to that shame if it helps.

20. dacula789

dacula789 Member

Lovepedal SuperSic Tone boosted with an Eternity

G34RSLU7 likes this.