Which distortion pedal is currently on your board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by G34RSLU7, May 18, 2019.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Luckily I brought the Dracarys with me. I gave it a good play through the other day and wow. It was in my mental pile of "maybe" pedals to sell, but not anymore. I really do prefer the open setting vs the tight. It is very smooth, musical (not raspy in any way), and has decent note and chord clarity (I tried a lot of complex chords, as well as fast single note riffing). I tried it with a bunch of different guitars with different pickups and tunings - Jackson KV2T (D-std), Wolfgang (Drop-D), Mayones Regius 6 (C#-std) and Regius 7 (Drop-A). The pedal thoroughly kicked ass and my only regret is I'm living in a villa and can't crank it loud enough to really see how it performs at high volumes. But at decent volumes it was awesome. Still doesn't beat out my top two (MI Audio Megalith Delta and Custom Audio Fortis High Drive) or the KSR Ares I have en route... but it's close. It is definitely not for old school rock/metal. You don't get that satisfactory bloom associated with strumming an A chord through a cranked Marshall... but it's not for AC/DC and GnR - this is for KSE, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, etc type music. YMMV

Try the Walrus Audio Iron Horse v2. It's a much better RAT with low noise and a killer modern setting that is much tighter and less hairy than an old school RAT (it can also get there too).

Not Orange and G34RSLU7 like this.
  2. portobear

portobear Member

Plimsoul on one nano board, SL Drive on another and a Mad Professor Ruby Red Boost on a third.

LordThurisaz and G34RSLU7 like this.
  3. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

It kinda is, looking at the confluence of rhetoric and action.

Back to business at hand.

Zoom UF-01 Ultrafuzz, amazingly versatile with a good dose of whacky if you want.

Greer Lightspeed to make it sound like the amp is working hard.

Catalinbread DLS III because it sounds and behaves like the Marshall I never owned.

Mix and match to taste, my band covers 50s to today, I have it covered.

4. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

i've checked so many demos of the Catalinbread DLS but it doesn't really sound like a marshall to me, it sounds more like some kind of fuzz into a low gainer :dunno

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I run both the pre gain and master really low, like both at 9 o'clock in metal panel mode at 18v. It gets way too gainy for my purposes beyond that. No one demos it like that.

Howard's video on how to use it was really helpful for eq adjustments, basically crank treble and mids and dump the bass. I don't go all the way with that, but it gets you on the right track. When I go between a Tele, LP, Strat, ES, or Firebird I only have to adjust the treble control to compensate.

The internal trim setting for the presence is crucial. I left the bottom off the pedal for a week until I found the spot and stopped dicking with it.

Not Orange and Moody Tuner like this.
  6. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

That's on my list because of all the praise it gets and whenever I see a listing for one it gets snatched up quickly. :(

Flogger59 likes this.
  7. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Heh heh Umm. My Philosopher's Rock has a Germanium Boost, that goes into a Zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz, Then I've got three on a looper: Wampler Euphoria, Lovepedal Eternity burst and Tube Zone v3 (from AU) MI Audio. Next a Zoom PD-01 Power Drive and then a Klon clone from Mike Skinner's Rawkworks. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

Subdecay Variac, Lovepedal Amp11, MXR Il Diavolo

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  9. Not Orange

:eeks

:omg

:bow

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  10. Not Orange

That makes more sense than "peanut butter and walrus" which is an absolutely terrible sandwich.

scolfax likes this.
  11. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

Bearfoot DynaRed
    Skreddy Screwdriver
    Blackout Effectors Musket
    Friedman BE-OD
    Sweet Honey OD

All on the board, with no regrets. But getting a Greer Lightspeed for the helluvit, so it might knock out the Friedman which I only use on 2 songs anyways.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  12. desire machine

desire machine Member

I got a boss DS-2 to cover RHCPs...def nails Frusciante's tone and I'm surprised how much I like that pedal. It's really awesome for playing leads.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  13. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I have a modded DS-1 that I like, and while watching some vids on YouTube, think I might pick up a DS-2 or Hardwire SC-2. I'm surprised that I like a DS-1, since it's pretty meh stock, and also that the DS-2, which I figured would be two versions of awful based on the DS-1, is actually pretty good. Not sure if the Hardwire is a modded/tweaked DS-1, or a DS-2 with low/high knobs. Either way, sounds cool.

desire machine likes this.
  14. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Let's see... my large board is upstairs in the music room, the small board is down in the family room

Any combination of the following can find themselves on either board

80s RAT
    SL Drive (currently on large board)
    Caline Orange Burst
    Caline Blue Sky
    Way Huge Green Rhino mk4 (currently on small board)
    Mooer Blues Crab

Also have a few floating around, that aren't used much currently (Dano CTO-1, DOD Gunslinger, Tomsline Dumbler, and a couple others)

15. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

16. desire machine

desire machine Member

I think Hardwire was a line put out by digitech that they stopped a few yrs ago when they started doing the the DOD pedals and expanding on those.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Spiral Yellow
    Spiral Black (fuzz)
    Skreddy Giant Meat Pie.
    Carcosa

... dang, I got some talented internet friends!!

I also use a Hot Chilils Tubester, an old bigbox EHX Hot Tubes, and a Mojohand Rook Deluxe.

My music room is my board.

Moody Tuner likes this.
  18. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I really liked the Hardwire line... had 3 or 4 of ‘em at one point. The Overdrive was like a true-bypass Bad Monkey with the switchable option for more gain. Every one of them I tried was quality, gig-worthy gear.

19. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I know that, but I'm curious if the SC-2 was based on a DS-1, DS-2, or neither.

20. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Sure seemed like a revved-up DS style to me...