Which distortion pedal is currently on your board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by G34RSLU7, May 18, 2019.

1. musicbliss

musicbliss Supporting Member

Xts Winford Drive - really nails the soaring distortion think Jeff Beck, Gilmour type sound.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  2. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner Member

Do you stack the yellow and black spirals? If so, what order? I love my Black Rose and hope to pick up a Yellow Spiral some day. I have no shortage of dirt pedals, but Tom’s pedals really appeal to me. I hope he puts out a high gain monster soon. But was hoping a yellow and black stack could get me there too.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  3. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

So far I've got my best stacking by setting the Black Spiral (I has a Rose also, and a special that I don't talk about much because it's Triple Probation Secret) for a moderately sputter-y noisy setting, then pushing that into the Yellow set on a thin Girth.... I know, not what you'd expect, but it does give a unique (I think) twist on distortion.

G34RSLU7 and Moody Tuner like this.
  4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

- For my band, I have a WHE Green Rhino feeding a SUF Brick Muff.

- For a gig subbing for another guitarist, I’m using a SUF Skinner Box (Rat clone) instead of the Muff.

- For church, both boxes are replaced by a Keeley D&M Drive.

G34RSLU7 and mattpas like this.
  5. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Think the real answer for me is, which one that I don't have or tried.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  6. Logsworth

Logsworth Member

7. madisonaudio

madisonaudio Member

Radial Hot British, Custom Fire shop ultimate distortion, Big Joe Stompbox co Hard tube 405, Tone City golden Plexi, Weehbo Mastiff. All awesome pedals that never fail to satisfy. Just sayin

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  8. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

nice list, i'd like to try the custom fire shop but it seems to be available in the US only!

what is your favorite?

madisonaudio likes this.
  9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

10. Redrum

Redrum Member

I recently pulled out my old Barber Direct Drive SS, set the internal trims to the suggested "Vintage Marshall" settings and hooked it up on my pedal board. Man, that pedal flat out rocks. All these years I had forgotten how good it sounds, always chasing that "next OD pedal". Now I know why I kept it around!

I also experimented with the other suggested internal trim settings and really liked the "Light Blues" setting. That one really stood out in my rig although I never tried it before. There's so many different tones available in this pedal it's remarkable. Just gotta take the back off and experiment with those internal trims. Fun stuff!

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  11. madisonaudio

madisonaudio Member

I'll never sell the Fire Custom shop. It kills most popular pedals that get a lot of attention here (MXR 5150, BE-OD for example) It really smokes. Other than that I really like the Hot British. Just sayin

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  12. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Currently:
    EMG 85/60A pickups (@24v, mainly because it takes up less space and I can use a vol and tone pot)
    MXR Wylde Overdrive
    Ibanez TS Mini
    Boss DS-1 (Seeing Eye mod)
    JHS All American kit
    ProCo Fat Rat
    Two Notes Le Clean (swapped the junk stock tube for a new Mullard)

And yes, I know the pickups, first two pedals, and the preamp are not distortions, but they are used to get my distorted tones.

13. Steven

Steven Member

I´m not shure it qualifies as a "distortion" pedal, but the Maxon SD-9 is my higher gain fuzzy-overdrive/distortion pedal. No matter what I buy to try out the SD-9 always survives the onslaught. It just sounds great, its very responsive to volume knob tweaking/pickin dynamics and if I need more juice I boost it with a TS9. And its fat. It sounds great with al of my guitars.

G34RSLU7 and LordThurisaz like this.
  14. h-pr

h-pr Member

Currently I have an MXR La Machine, a modded Rat and a Vorp FX Gray Dodo on my board.

LordThurisaz and G34RSLU7 like this.
  15. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I just switched my options around last week, my current distortion options are:
    zoom g3-Black Box Audio Destructor-SA Multi-wave distortion-DOD Gonkulator (used mostly as distortion)-then in to my standard rig of:
    Digitech DL8-Korg Kaoss Pad II-Line 6 DL4-Lexicon MX200-out to my amp....
    the Black Box Audio Destructor is my new pedal I got last week:
    [​IMG]
    it is a different kind of distortion...it can get glitchy sort of weird filtered distortions...stacks nice with my other pedals....

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  16. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I’ve recently reduced my drive section to these 3 pedals in this order.

1-Devi Ever Hyperion Fuzz.... my high gain fuzz tone .... it likes to go first cuz it plays better with the other pedals that way.

2-Boss OD3..... my smooth low gain drive.

... In combination with the Hyperion it gives that classic Marshall blanket over the cab sound.

3-Joyo Voodoo Octave.... hate if you want but this kicked a Rat off my board. I mainly use it for a more mid cut mid to high gain fuzz.

Use the octave to get weird or use the Hyperion to get a very fuzzy weird fuzz tones that get weirder with the octave on.

Or boost it to a full high gain fuzz with or without the octave with the OD3.

This gives me a ton of tonal options with a relatively small drive section. That is pretty darn silent too. So no noise gate needed although I believe the Hyperion has an internal one.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  17. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Little Bear R.attack (3 rats in one).

LordThurisaz, sahhas and G34RSLU7 like this.