• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which Divided by 13 amp has the best spanky blackface tone?

I've only had the chance to play a little 6v6/EL84 Divided by 13 combo amp before, but I was impressed and the tone and construction/simplicity/aesthetics. Ultimately, I gravitate toward a tone that's rooted in a Fender Blackface space.

Which Divided by 13 amp has the best spanky blackface tone in your opinion?

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Not the CJ11, which is more Tweed Deluxe. Awesome, great amp in every way, but tweed.

Awesome - this is what I was getting at. I watched the Robinson Brotherhood rig run down and the dude briefly played a tele through his FTR 37 and I thought "Whoa". Then I found some other demo vids of the FTR and I'm interested in finding a used FTR amp now......anyone have one to sell or trade pm me....
The FTR 37 is killer for that kind of sound. Great amp!

@northfortyrecords your blackface quest is neverending! From which we all benefit...
You know it bro!!!!

I actually currently have a Fargen Dual Classic head that's pretty great. It features a blackface channel and a near-plexi channel as well. I see the FTR37 as being in that similar vein. I'd really love to get these two amps side by side for a comparison....

joshofsorts

Gold Supporting Member
You know it bro!!!!

I actually currently have a Fargen Dual Classic head that's pretty great. It features a blackface channel and a near-plexi channel as well. I see the FTR37 as being in that similar vein. I'd really love to get these two amps side by side for a comparison....
I humbly must admit that I do not have the time nor financial resources for such a brave and noble quest (that, and the Sky King you in part pointed me to fits my needs quite well at the present time), so I vicariously have followed yours quite closely. Keep fighting the good fight!

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome - this is what I was getting at. I watched the Robinson Brotherhood rig run down and the dude briefly played a tele through his FTR 37 and I thought "Whoa". Then I found some other demo vids of the FTR and I'm interested in finding a used FTR amp now......anyone have one to sell or trade pm me....
That amp isn't the FTR 37, it's a 100 watt head FTR 100, I believe it's called. It has one channel that's meant to be like a Fender Showman and one that's meant to be like a Marshall 100 watter.

That amp isn't the FTR 37, it's a 100 watt head FTR 100, I believe it's called. It has one channel that's meant to be like a Fender Showman and one that's meant to be like a Marshall 100 watter.
Wow no kidding? Ahhhh I missed that 100 watt part. Well shoot no wonder it sounded so good because I usually gravitate toward the big tube big iron cleans :)

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Wow no kidding? Ahhhh I missed that 100 watt part. Well shoot no wonder it sounded so good because I usually gravitate toward the big tube big iron cleans :)
I like big iron too. It's the Divided by 13 model that I covet the most, for sure.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
There is a schematic for this FTR37 over on freestompboxes. One channel is a BF preamp. The other is something else...hotter, I am thinking with a rotary tone switch selecting caps. The output section is interesting....there is a fixed bias circuit, and there seems to be some cathode biasing going on as well. There is no negative feedback. I had read that there is some noise in the amp...the lack of a NFB would account for that.

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
Never owned one but I'm pretty sure the SJT 10/20 falls in that category too.
I agree. This is the smaller wattage version of the FTR. Very flexible with the pull boost, half wattage selector and the damper switch

I miss my old one but I liked the JRT a bit more.

White Buffalo

Weird to see several folks recommend the FTR37 as I owned one for a couple years and found it everything but blackface sounding.
But dude above claims one of channels features a BF preamp... and maybe I was just doing things wrong. That was one of my least favourite amps to date if I'm honest... and I'm a HUGE fan of the BF sound. Maybe I should of messed around with tubes. I just found it overall very congested sounding, could never dial in enough top-end sparkle.
Wouldn't mind trying one out again, though having spent a couple years with one, I don't know what new findings might emerge.

No one has mentioned the EDT 13/29
Thanks for the suggestion rhollyday. On paper, that EDT 13/29 looks very cool!

I listened to 5 or 6 videos though and I totally hear more of a tweed vibe out if its cleans. In fact, it sounded so much like my old Louis Electric Tremblelux that I had to do a double take. Even the demos with Strats or Teles sounded this way to my ears, while most of the demos utilizing Les Pauls, not surprisingly, definitely have that thick classic rock tweed sound rather than Blackface. Anyone else hear this sort of vibe out of the EDT 13/29?

Divided by 13 is a whole new world to me - I'm enjoying learning about all of their various models. Definitely an interesting approach they have to amp designing as well as marketing and visual aesthetics.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom