• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which Divided by 13 amp has the best spanky blackface tone?

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I've only had the chance to play a little 6v6/EL84 Divided by 13 combo amp before, but I was impressed and the tone and construction/simplicity/aesthetics. Ultimately, I gravitate toward a tone that's rooted in a Fender Blackface space.

Which Divided by 13 amp has the best spanky blackface tone in your opinion?
hey, nofo. you can come over and try mine if you like. lemme know.

Simto

Definitely check out the FTR37. I've had mine for eight years now and it's my favourite amp I've ever tried. I actually like it more and more the more different amps I try out over the years.

It's definitely got the Blackface vibe on the clean channel, but with more depth to my ears. I've never heard an amp that has so much depth as this one.
I would call the FTR the perfect single coil amp. It's awesome with humbuckers and filtertrons too, but man... A strat with the volume on the amp about half way up... It's ****ing glorious!!!

I have the SJT 10/20 in a 1*12 combo version which is great for that type of Blackface clean too. I talked to Fred about getting a combo that's as close to the FTR37 as possible for when I moved to England and needed a smaller amp. He said the SJT is basically the same as the FTR.

Would highly recommend either one for the type of tone you're after, but the FTR is where it's at if you ask me.

Just one thing. Divided by 13 amps sort of sound like something, but they still have their own thing going for them at the same time.

Last edited:

rhollyday

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestion rhollyday. On paper, that EDT 13/29 looks very cool!

I listened to 5 or 6 videos though and I totally hear more of a tweed vibe out if its cleans. In fact, it sounded so much like my old Louis Electric Tremblelux that I had to do a double take. Even the demos with Strats or Teles sounded this way to my ears, while most of the demos utilizing Les Pauls, not surprisingly, definitely have that thick classic rock tweed sound rather than Blackface. Anyone else hear this sort of vibe out of the EDT 13/29?

Divided by 13 is a whole new world to me - I'm enjoying learning about all of their various models. Definitely an interesting approach they have to amp designing as well as marketing and visual aesthetics.
I would say, having owning a EDT 13/29 its more Blackface cleans in AB mode, with more mid-based but still in the Blackface camp with earlier breakup in Class A mode. Its a very load amp, though even in Class A 13 watt mode. I often use a PS to tame the volume. Also, since it has KT66 tubes the overdrive/breakup is a little different than your typical ^L^/6v6 blackface sound, more early Marshall. Hope that helps.

Brien

I own an SJT 10/20 and also own some BF amps. While I love the the SJT it doesn't exactly sound like a BF amp-it has a lot more muscle. Kinda "BF inspired" or "BF roots" might be more accurate. The bass can get huge on the SJT. It's a great amp and works well with any guitar, pedals, etc.. It has a lot of tone shaping options as well. So many amps claim to have the BF sound, but I've yet to hear that actually do. So if you really want the BF sound, get a blackface Fender. The SJT is an awesome modern spin on it.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Played a customer's 13/29 this last weekend and I couldn't stop playing for hours. Amazingly touch sensitive; it was like an extension of the fret board if that makes sense. Whatever I wanted to come out, came out. Not many amps do that, and to say I'm not easily impressed is probably the understatement of the century. I was very impressed by that amp. It's like a really good DR in some ways, but it isn't exactly blackface, it has it's own sound. More immediate in a good way, more present in the mids.

Versatile it isn't; it's pretty much a one trick pony, but the trick never gets old. I fear I'm going to experience a lingering cognitive dissonance until I own one.

JimGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Played a customer's 13/29 this last weekend and I couldn't stop playing for hours. Amazingly touch sensitive; it was like an extension of the fret board if that makes sense. Whatever I wanted to come out, came out. Not many amps do that, and to say I'm not easily impressed is probably the understatement of the century. I was very impressed by that amp. It's like a really good DR in some ways, but it isn't exactly blackface, it has it's own sound. More immediate in a good way, more present in the mids.

Versatile it isn't; it's pretty much a one trick pony, but the trick never gets old. I fear I'm going to experience a lingering cognitive dissonance until I own one.
Well it depends how you describe versatile. To me the two extremes on that amp are tight, sorta high headroom, blackface-style cleans on one end of the spectrum; and a milky, early breakup, squishy, super touch-sensitive, complex dirty sound at the other.

For the former, go class A/B, dampening/flattening switch on (quieter position), mid boost off. Wind the treble up a bit and compensate by lowering it on the guitar. I can get great SRV/Lenny type tones here, or some great twang.

For the latter, class A, dampening/flattening switch off (louder position), mid boost on.

@northfortyrecords The four "American" style amps in the /13 line are:

- The EDT which ranges from a much tighter and more polite tweed to a big-iron blackface. Really responsive amp. Super touch sensitive without being unforgiving. By far the best reverb in the line IMO. I wish I could dial out more low end without cranking the treble. Like all /13's it loves microphones so it records great and always sounds great FOH when mic'd. Takes drive pedals great; you're going to want a TS variant to push the mids when you want to really rock.

- The SJT 10/20, which I only played at a music store, had me doing all the Axis Bold As Love stuff using the low input (which is actually the input of channel one). Loved it. Really liked the voicing on this amp. Wasn't a fan of the high input though (which is input of channel two), but again I didn't spend a lot of time with it.

- The FTR 37 which I only played briefly at a music store. Was good but didn't knock me out. It is a desert island favorite of many people, though.

- The CJ11 which is a blackface style front end and tweed style power section. Only plugged into one for a couple seconds so can't really comment.

Last edited:

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
For the latter, class A, dampening/flattening switch off (louder position), mid boost on.
I really didn't care for it pushed into more than edge of breakup drive. It got muddy and loose in a way I don't like, and I make amps that sound far, far better and more versatile for that type of thing.

But clean, or edge of breakup, holy crap it's great.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I extensively A/B'd a SJT 10/20 to a '69 Deluxe Reverb. Same room, side by side, all volumes. The SJT is more refined and has MUCH more low end. It doesn't cut through a mix quite the same way a blackface Fender. Everything is a little less "abrasive" than the Fender, both stout cleans or OD. That being said, I wanted what works best in a band mix, and I ended up keeping the DR. Both good amps, but a nod to the classic.

I believe I recorded some clips but I've NO IDEA how many hard drives ago that was.

Traintrack

Where is the Talent?
Gold Supporting Member
Get a blackface Fender and be done with it. ;).

I did, sounds just like a blackface Fender...Smells great also.

Deluzion

Get a blackface Fender and be done with it. ;).

I did, sounds just like a blackface Fender...Smells great also.
The correct answer.
You want a Fender Blackface tone, then dont buy something else unless its a 100% excact replica of the values and the circuit and cabinet design. etc etc.

GoodGAS

Silver Supporting Member
I believe Rob Harris with Jamiriquois used an SJT 10/20 for a while and sounded great. I had one but liked my EDT 13/29 better for "spanky cleans"...has more head room and a bit less compressed IMO. That said I just scored a Fender Dual Professional and it is soooooo good and a steal in the used market.

northfortyrecords

Silver Supporting Member
...Everything is a little less "abrasive" than the Fender, both stout cleans or OD. That being said, I wanted what works best in a band mix, and I ended up keeping the DR. Both good amps, but a nod to the classic...
This is what I've found too - almost every boutique amp builder's take on a Blackface Fender is to sort of smooth it out a bit. Sometimes I dig it, sometimes I don't..

The correct answer. You want a Fender Blackface tone, then dont buy something else unless its a 100% excact replica of the values and the circuit and cabinet design. etc etc.
I've got a nice '66 Pro Reverb with Jensen C12N's and blackplate RCA 6L6's sitting in front of me right now, so I'm very familiar with the original tone....and I tell ya, every vintage amp I've played has had noise issues (maybe internal grounding?) or something funky here or there....this along with the rawness and sharpness of the real deal Fender Blackface keeps me searching for my ultimate blackface-ish clean tone.... Nothing wrong with the real deals for the right application, for sure.

Mostly, I'm just pleasantly surprised when I hear a new boutique amp that I've never heard of before and it does a really blackface tone. Love that surprised feeling I get. Full of hope or something! Unfortunately, when I started this thread, I didn't realize that the DivByThirteen amps command such a premium even on the used market. I might not be able to get one until I successfully sell off some of my less-used amps to afford it. So far, I'd really like to try a EDT 13/29 and a FTR 37 for snappy Blackface-ish tones.

Deluzion

This is what I've found too - almost every boutique amp builder's take on a Blackface Fender is to sort of smooth it out a bit. Sometimes I dig it, sometimes I don't..

I've got a nice '66 Pro Reverb with Jensen C12N's and blackplate RCA 6L6's sitting in front of me right now, so I'm very familiar with the original tone....and I tell ya, every vintage amp I've played has had noise issues (maybe internal grounding?) or something funky here or there....this along with the rawness and sharpness of the real deal Fender Blackface keeps me searching for my ultimate blackface-ish clean tone.... Nothing wrong with the real deals for the right application, for sure.

Mostly, I'm just pleasantly surprised when I hear a new boutique amp that I've never heard of before and it does a really blackface tone. Love that surprised feeling I get. Full of hope or something! Unfortunately, when I started this thread, I didn't realize that the DivByThirteen amps command such a premium even on the used market. I might not be able to get one until I successfully sell off some of my less-used amps to afford it. So far, I'd really like to try a EDT 13/29 and a FTR 37 for snappy Blackface-ish tones.
I have seen the Carr sportsman described as a more snappy and direct Princeton. It has a solid state rectifier, no trem tho. But something to consider if you dont need a larger amp.

Trending Topics