Which Divided By 13 for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Last Rebel, Mar 18, 2008.

1. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Alright, I'm mainly looking at the EDT13/29, CJ11, SJT10/20, and JRT9/15, mainly because I can't afford anything above those, and I could hardly afford the EDT13/29.

Anyways, I want something with a very meaty semi-clean sound, think something BP's Ticks or Easy Money. But also able to get some good Wilco tones at clean. For OD, I want something very bluesy and dirty. Think ABB, The Derek Trucks Band, or ZZ Top.

Thanks in advance,
    TLR.

2. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

3. teleking36

teleking36 Member

The EDT has a beautiful fat clean tone. Check that one out!

4. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

5. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I'd say SJT or CJ11. Little more flexibilty with the SJT but you'll pay more. Bit more clean room in 20 mode than the CJ too.

EDIT: BTW, my CJ sounded killer with an AC boost.

6. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Does the SJT come in combo form?

7. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it does-Check out Eddie's guitars-Great people to deal with!!

8. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

i think there's an SJT up for sale in the emporium

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I have one last question. Can the any of the amps I mentioned do that Brian Setzer tone? Something like a really hot country tone. I'm thinking the CJ 11, but I'd love to hear ya'll's input.

Thanks for all the help so far,
    TLR.

10. randy morser

randy morser Member

the 9/15 does that in spades. both channels give you a different take on that sound. the el84s get that super snappy/poppy modern version of the sound while the 6v6 wide gives you a really warm version of the vintage country tone. I get a better tone with that and my lentz tele than any country guitar player I've played with yet. the other guitar players in bands are always a little bitter about that. ha. if you gain it up and use a brighter cap in either channel you can go vintage or modern rockabilly too and use the cut knob to dail out any trace of harshness. greenbacks in the openback D/13 2X12 are the way to go.

11. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Yeah I traded my CJ for the JRT and was really pleased.

I dont think you can go wrong with the cj, sjt or jrt here...you'll be able to get what you are seeking as long as you dont need loud cleans.

12. Matt McKenzie

Matt McKenzie Member

just picked up the jrt. Its unreal flexible. Great cleans, sooo punchy (even through the 1x12). The dirt is great on it. I use it for more rock style stuff, so I use not so country pedals, but it takes any pedal so well. I have heard that you start getting some rattle if you get the combos. I have the head/cab config. with a 1x12 and its really portable, really light too. I actually prefer hoofing this one around better than my top hat club royale 2x12 combo.

Anyway, this is the coolest little amp, so many tonal variations. Sounds like you are shooting for some serious versatility.

13. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Well that is about the exact tonal requirements I have...Good fat cleans, nice reverb, killer OD in the Blues Rock idiom. I need an amp that can for from Clean Reverbed Peter Green and Knopfler to screamin fat Duane and Gibbons tone and some good light to med OD for a Nels Cline type tone....so I ordered the EDT with a 2x12...in a couple months I'll have some clips and tone report!

14. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

15. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

You have no idea how badly I want that. And the funny thing is, I had to sell mine for the exact same reason you are selling yours...life has it's priorities I guess. Hopefully in about a year i'll be buying another.