Which DIY Tubescreamer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hobageeba, Apr 11, 2008.

1. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

I've decided to try my hand at building a pedal and I'm gonna go with the kits to make things a bit easier. I'm looking to build the BYOC Overdrive, or the General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 (both Tubescreamer clones). Have any of you built either one of these? Is one better than the other? The ITS8 is much more appealing beacuse it's a whopping $30 cheaper than the BYOC Overdrive, but does the Overdrive warrant the price difference? Is one easier to build than the other? It seems to me like the ITS8 has more options, with all the choices for toggle switching mods, but the Overdrive has some incredibly solid reviews on Harmony Central. So yeah, a bit torn here and wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

2. rewog

rewog Member

I've used both...they're both high quality kits and components, and you'll end up with a great OD if you build it well.
    As far as the finished product, I think they're equivalent.
    The instructions from BYOC are more comprehensive, but if you're comfortable to build it from a GGG kit, you won't go wrong ...

:AOK

3. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Cool thanks, I appreciate your input. I was looking at the instructions and I did notice that the BYOC ones are more comprehensive, which is appealing to me since this is my first attempt. Did you do any of the mods with either pedal? I'm especially interested in the symmetrical clipping vs. asymmetrical. I wonder if there's a way to mod it so you can use a toggle switch between the two...

4. rewog

rewog Member

These days I generally just buy the PCBs, and build.... I have a good stock of components on hand.
    I've tried a range of different mods.
    The extra kit sold by GGG to do the "Landgraff" style mods is definitely recommended ! (BYOC probably offer similar mods).

Clipping mods with a toggle are very easy to do, and there's a host of options. The GGG board is already set up for a clipping switch I think.

5. rewog

rewog Member

6. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Cool yeah I read all those pdf's. I think I'm gonna go with the GGG cause it's much cheaper, although the simple fact that the BYOC has better instructions is tempting for me since I'm new at this. Thanks for the input.

7. jay66

jay66 Member

My vote goes to BYOC Their TSs are excellent sounding pedals and the support of the forum is great if you should have a problem.

8. AndrewMartinMusic

AndrewMartinMusic Member

I would highly recommend GGG. While I haven't seen the instructions from BYOC, my first build was a GGG and the instructions were good. I have built the ITS8 and if you use the full kit you shouldn't have any problems. I think the the BYOC kits are much, much too expensive considering that they aren't assembled. $100 will get you a used Barber or Fulltone OD.

9. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

GGG and BYOC both provide solid products and great instructional information. The main difference is actually where you want your jacks mounted. GGG's have theirs mounted on top. BYOC have them on the sides like most other effects.

Before you build, however, make your way here first.