Which DMC do I need?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ajfrye, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

I would really love to be able to control the looper of the Timeline (including reverse/undo/half speed as well as rec/play/stop) and also activate (latching) infinite hold for the Big Sky without changing modes on the midi device. Is this possible?

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

DMC6D with Expander Switch.

Just make sure to load the "universal" firmware version, it seems that it was exclusively made for the Strymon Timeline.

3. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

Sure, that would work nicely. The DMC-8D would also work and would not require the expander switch. The DMC-3XL Gen2 and DMC-4 Gen2 can handle this as well but you'd need to change modes a bit to get to everything.

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Oh yeah, I forgot of that, the big daddy.

One of the things that I'd love to have with the DMC6D is the ability to have a standalone "play" switch, so I can restart the loop anytime without having to tap the same switch twice.
    Maybe an extra "mode" for the Expander switch to expand the looper buttons from 6 to 8, one dedicated play, one dedicated stop and an extra for...something else.

Maybe the Timeline should have a parameter to gradually slow down/speed up the loop ala Timefactor/H9, maybe it's already there and I haven't found it yet.

5. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

Anyone selling a DMC-8D?

6. DisasterArea

The upcoming firmware update for the larger controllers lets you split out the play and stop buttons in looper mode. You'll be able to change around a couple of the button assignments around to suit your workflow. No firm date on the update but sometime this spring.

7. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

What about if I had a Timeline and BigSky and wanted to bank up/down on engage/disengage preset A or B on both simultaneously?

8. 100JH

100JH Member

Probably the most popular version is with Run

9. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

Another related question:

Is the only way to allow for latching infinite hold on the BigSky by using a DMC? Could other midi controllers do this? I'm wondering if any other midi controller might work as well if set up properly.

Maybe I should keep my DMC-2+ controlling the looper of the Timeline and get another small DMC dedicated to the Big Sky. All I really want to do is infinite hold, though...

10. DisasterArea

This one's good, too:

[​IMG]

Nope. Unless Strymon update the firmware in the BigSky to use the MultiSwitch or a tap switch, the only way to do this is via MIDI. You could connect a tap switch to the expression input on the DMC-2+ to control the freeze...

11. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

I am already using the exp input to control the Timeline looper level. But maybe a second DMC-2+ or similar just for the BigSky would be a good solution.

12. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

I'm still not quite understanding this.

With the DMC-8D, can I control all the Timeline looper functions including reverse and half speed AND have a button for latching infinite mode on the BigSky without switching the mode on the controller? If not, how exactly is the mode switched?

13. Kklang

Kklang Member

Can't wait for the update for DMC6d to control H9 looper and do other stuff it will alow me to!

14. bunnygang

bunnygang Member

Would also like to know the answer to this question.

15. rufe

rufe Member

It already exists. Talk to Matthew (DisasterArea above) and he'll send it to you.

For DMC-4, ask for the Mike Pope Firmware.

For DMC-6, ask for the Jeff Kunde Firmware.

I've started happily using the DMC-4 this way. Presets were awesome, but this way takes less setup week to week...

16. Tbird_777

Tbird_777 Member

I would love to get the Mike Pope Firmware. How did you contact Disaster Area? Through TGP or their website? I've sent a couple emails haven't heard back yet.