Which DMC for Timeline??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brian.robert, Jan 29, 2012.

1. brian.robert

brian.robert Supporting Member

I've got a Timeline coming, and am planning on getting a DMC midi pedal for it. Anyone get a 3 and wish they got a 4 or 6? I like the functionality of the 6, but it would take up a lot of space on my relatively small board.

All suggestions are welcome.

2. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

I'm also interested in this topic...

:munch

3. teleclem

teleclem Member

Pretty happy with my 3. :aok I use it mainly to change patches and control the looper.

4. frozze

frozze Member

I got the DMC-2 because I don't use looper at all. Really depends on what you wanna do with it, I guess..

5. zwolf

zwolf Member

Super happy with my DMC-6. It's a beast size-wise, but I had extra room on my pedaltrain pro so it was totally worth it for me.

6. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

What do you do with the DMC-6? What do the 6 buttons control?

7. teleclem

teleclem Member

Definitely. For just doing preset changing, the 2 would be fine.

@OP: the custom finishes are great btw. I got the black sparkle finish (like the lunar module).

8. brian.robert

The custom colors are a nice touch. I didn't really get the timeline for the looper, but I don't know if I'll want to use it at some point. Does the 2 just scroll up and down? Is that easier than just using the timeline itself?

9. frozze

frozze Member

Made preset changing for live use so much easier! I don't think I would have gigged with the Timeline without the DMC. It is that good, for me anyway!

10. TheRiotTapes

TheRiotTapes Senior Member

Can't the DMC's be programmed to do just about anything?

Love to get a six and have
    column 1: +/- 1 bank
    column 2: +/- 5 banks
    column 3: +/- 10 banks

That way you could really get around the thing.

11. zwolf

zwolf Member

My midi needs are pretty intensive and specific, making the 6 perfect for me. I use an Elektron Machinedrum with my band, sometimes to interject bits of electronica/beats here and there, sometimes to sequence things on my TL (like changing patches, bypassing, starting/stopping the looper, etc), and sometimes just for a quick reference click for the drummer. The DMC makes it so that I don't ever have to touch the MD throughout the course of a live set. For every song we play live, I have a song setup in the MD and corresponding banks on the TL (I even program in blank banks if there's no delay in a particular song). The great thing about the DMC is that it can multi-task - every time I load a bank on the TL, it also sends specific sysex messages that load the corresponding song on the MD.

So my first mode is programmed as such: 1 button to send midi start and begin sequences on the MD; one button to stop; one button to scroll up banks; one button to scroll down; one button to return me to TL bank 00A (I'll hit this if I'm on say bank 30 and the next song is bank 5 or something - quicker than scrolling down.); and the remaining button changes modes.

Second mode is all about the looper: one button to record; one to play; one to stop; one for 1/2 speed; one for reverse; and again the mode change button.

I originally planned to use the third mode to access banks 50+ on the TL, thinking I'd save my presets over to 50 - 61 for a 12 song set, so that I'd just have to hit the bank up button on the DMC one time after each song. But I quickly realized that the scrolling process on the DMC is awesome - much less cumbersome than the midi mouse - and I didn't need this mode. It's plenty easy to scroll from bank 1 to bank 25 if the setlist dictates that. So I had matt deactivate this mode.

However, if Strymon add some more midi functionality on the upcoming update, I'll probably pay matt to revise my firmware to include looper level control or something.

:bandPS: I know this band emoticon has nothing to do with this post, but my five year old son has been bugging me to add it in the whole time I've been writing this... so yeah.

12. zwolf

zwolf Member

You could definitely do that. Matt is incredible to work with. That would be easy for him.

13. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Sorry to quote just a bit like this, but there's no need for another wall of text fro me quoting it.

That sounds really awesome and really specific! Do you have clips of your band? From what it sounds like, the DMC-6 is way overkill for most mere mortal TL users.

But the DMCs already scroll banks pretty fast.

14. zwolf

zwolf Member

Well I'd say the 6 is either for someone with extensive midi needs beyond the TL, but also for someone who likes to have things laid out and easily accessible as opposed to hitting two buttons at once and whatnot. IF you have the pedalboard real estate....

I've been meaning for ages to make a video detailing my DMC/TL/MD usage and workflow, but alas it has yet to happen. I will do this one day though! You can check out our music at www.littlebeirut.com.

15. TheRiotTapes

TheRiotTapes Senior Member

Hold and scroll or lots or clicking??

16. brian.robert

I'm also interested in the scrolling (above question). The 4 seems like a good balance functionality and size, and still would be useful if I ever get into looping. After reading some of the other threads too, I think I'll have him put an expression wheel on the side

17. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Matt and I sorta invented the DMC-3... so it's safe to say that I was the first go get one. And I've never wished for anything it couldn't do. Love it.

18. zenkick

zenkick Member

+1

DMC-3 is the best bang-for-the-pedal-space-buck, imo.

19. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Hold scroll, man. Check out CRXSH's Youtube videos.

20. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah definitely. I couldn't reliably hit the two switches at once all the time.

Yup, hold + scroll. Pretty quick actually.