• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which drive has stood the test of time for you?

Hcklr

Barber Compact Direct Drive. I haven't even considered another high gain since it joined my board over two years ago. It's such the sound of my guitar now that it would actually be silly for me to use anything else.

BADHAK

Ibanez ts808 hw used as a boost for my crunchy 2203's.
So perfect I don't even think about trying other pedals. The backups are Barber DD and LTD which are great pedals too.

bass_econo

Boss SD-1. I just keep coming back to it. I've had tons of drives and just keep coming back. I recently got a Timmy and while the Timmy can tone shape like crazy I could never find what I was looking for with it. So the SD-1 is back on the board.

KoolThing

Silver Supporting Member
TS-808. Keeley modded. It has vanquished: Fulltone FD-2, Moog MF Drive, Lovepedal Eternity, Fulltone OCD, and a bunch of fuzzes I thought I'd like. I think it just works with my amp (Ampeg GVT15 with baxandall EQ). I also love mids, so...

zul

Gold Supporting Member
V1 Minstrel. All three modes work superbly for my rig.
Mostly in mode three live. Touch sensitivity is out of this world.
One setting gets me loud and proud on the bridge and bright and spanky on the neck.
And all points in between work brilliantly too. Many shades on my volume knob to work with.
So easy to roll tubes in the studio too. Simon is a genius, and a gentleman.

Presently slamming it with a T. Jauernig Atomic FET Boy. Normal setting gives me more hair and projection.
Hit the shift knob and it adds bass and mids galore, and that gets me to sludgy fuzz territory at full;
rolling back takes the bass away progressively but retains the mid emphasis for cleaner 'fuzz'.
Back of the Minstrel is a Cusack More Louder set for clean boost.

Also love my big box Rat from the 80's, my SD1 present from a fan in Japan and my corpulent PTD minibone.
Also loving my SIB! Nick Nitro's octave hitting these guys but still modding the fuzz section for a little more fidelity.

Drumnbum

I've tried a fair bit and at first I'm like "wow, that sounds good, nice, unique, etc". Then I'll put it up against my V2 OCD (Rico built) and say, "yeah...but d@mn, it doesn't touch this thing".

So, OCD v2 for me.

pennylink

Wampler Ecstasy (now Euphoria) for me. Extremely flexible and plays well with fuzz, wah, other overdrives, you name it.

Jet Age Eric

I had to think about this--I was really impressed the first time I heard a Boiling Point (about 10 years ago, not quite), but it wasn't $200 better than my SolidgoldFX Superdrive which was, to that point, the best OD I'd ever played (and still ranks among the best). Now that the BP's price has been cut in half, I think it's a must-have (particularly since the Superdrive is no longer being made). I also still think the DOD 250 on which the Superdrive was based is killer, and since the current 250 RI nails the grey spec sound, so I'll say that it, too, has stood the test of time. -E

Bessejenner

BJFE Honeybee

I've built the Bearfoot version and it was great, but not quite the same. I've built two of the BJFE and they're magic. The parts, of course, aren't magic as I've built these with cheap components, but Bjorn comes up with great circuits.

I have several other dirt pedals that I love--Barbershop, Red Llama, Dyna Red Distortion, Timmy, Colorsound OD, and more--but none are a constant on my board like the HB.

Del-Uks

Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive 2S.

Never left my pedalboard since I bought it in 2008.

1973Marshall

This is a great question, because the true test of value is years...

Fulltone FullDrive 2
Fulltone OCD
Proco Rat2
Boss SD1 Super Overdrive

and to some extent the Bogner Ecstasy Blue, though I can't say it's been a core piece the entire 2 years it's been out.

The Fulltone OCD was ready for primetime the day it came out and I bought one. It's that useful and still plays a great role as a grab and go for jams, a studio rig and core live piece.

DaveKS

The BK Tube Driver is the only dirt pedal that has never left my rig. It has defeated so many all-star pedals that I am seriously considering adding another.
You should try a English Muff'n, close but has its own thing going on, plus 3 band EQ and 2 tube slots to fiddle with, got a GE 12ay7>RCA 12au7 clear top in mine. Can sound like a fuzzy treble booster, to some SRV mids boost, to classic EJ/Gilmour type tube boost tones.

Trending Topics