Which drive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the dirty tricks, May 25, 2015.

1. the dirty tricks

the dirty tricks Member

Hi all,

Totally subjective of course, however, I am looking for a drive to partner my Badcat Cub 15.

In short I am looking for something which gives me the option to go from a cleanish boost to classic rock type tones......currently working with an 808 clone, however would like to keep this on the board if possible.

I'm not a big pedal user, so would really welcome any thoughts or suggestions!

Cheers!

2. WillLane

WillLane Member

Are you going to be boosting the amp from a gritty clean tone to saturation with the drive pedal? Or are you trying to have the pedal do all the work?

A Klone would do you good in the first case. You might like the JHS modded Soul Food.

3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

As a stand alone, I really liked the Xotic SL in Superbass mode with my Matchless Lightning.

4. the dirty tricks

the dirty tricks Member

Cool, thanks guys!

I had looked at the SL running at low gain levels as a starting point with the option to go further if needed...

The amp would be running relatively clean (certainly not crystal clean) but with a bit of grit when I dig in....predominantly a 335 as the source.

Big thanks for the help!

Andy

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well with 335 and 808 on board already, look at some Zen drive clones (KO Effects KOI OD) or Klones to stack after the 808. Classic pedal sequence, set them up so you can use the 808 or Zen/Klone and then stack them together for highest gain.

Or just get a Kingsley Minstrel and be done with it, pricey though.

6. the dirty tricks

the dirty tricks Member

My worry with something like a Zendrive was a potential clash of mid hump? Is there anything to worry about here?

7. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Check out the AnalogMan Prince of Tone. Really great sounding pedal w/ a toggle for switching between Boost, OD, Distortion.

If you want an altogether separate boost section, maybe look into the Rockett Pedals Led Boots. Another great pedal leaning more towards the Marshall flavored side of things.

8. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

9. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

What you are describing is a Crowther Hot Cake, when paired with an AC30TB-ish channel like the Cub. A Rat or murine distortion could work pretty well, too - I like my Mooer Black Secret (basically a Turbo and Rat2 in a mini box) for that. I'd stay away from the "Klones" and dumble-esque pedals with the Cub - they work a lot better with "F-type" amps in my experience. I used a Bad Cat Black Cat 30r (basically 2ch of the Cub @30w) or a Matchless DC30 (same deal, if not picking nits) for years as my main amp, and it was tricky to find a drive pedal for "classic rock" that didn't clash with the natural breakup or get honky. The Hot Cake was the best I found, followed by the Rat. Of course, YMMV, yadda yadda...

(I also think you'd find the Zendrive and Klones to be pretty close in sound to the 808, fwiw.)

EDIT: PS, try asymmetrical clipping in your 808 - sorta an SD-808. I've found that SD-1's and Fulldrives work better than straight tubescreamers with Vox-like amps, but once again, that may be because I prefer a more "crushed glass crunch" to "smooth as silk".

0xeneye likes this.
  10. the dirty tricks

the dirty tricks Member

Great suggestions guys,thanks! I think my current 808 clone does a good job. I just want something I can run as a good rhythm sound which I can then potentially boost with the clone or my EP booster. I've found that the dilemma is in finding something with enough mids to cut through and 'sound full' which also manages to avoid the mid hump which can be too much! Hot cakes sound great from what I've heard.....are there issues with higher gain settings?

Thanks again,really appreciate the advice!

11. aaronmcoleman

aaronmcoleman Member

If you wanna go the route of the klonish pedal, the sick as is pretty sweet.

As always, a Timmy is a nice option too. I think it is kinda my go to for most non-pedal users.

12. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Barber Gain Changer

13. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Bad Cat Siamese Drive.

14. the dirty tricks

the dirty tricks Member

I've checked some videos,they seem to be great suggestions,thanks!

Is the hotcake problematic at higher gain levels?

Curious about thoughts on the Siamese Drive,should pair up well with a Badcat amp!

BB Preamp always seems to go down well,would it clash with the 808 clone?

Thanks again!

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yes... The GC will do the exact thing you describe above! Great pedal.