Which Duncan Humbucker for my Newport?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brion, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I have a Hamer Newport with the Phat Cat Pickups and I'd like to try some Buckers in it. I'm thinking Duncan pickups because I don't feel like paying a ton of money for boutiques and I can find the Duncans used relatively cheap. I'm thinking about the '59 model. Anyone try this model in their Newport ?

I'm looking for something warmer than the Phat Cats to get me closer to a 335 vibe. I do enjoy the Phat cats, but my 3 electrics all have single coils and I want a humbucking semihollow guitar, but just don't have the cash to buy a 335 right now.

2. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

Any Seymour Duncan pup will get you a decent sound. I think Hamer USA used to have SDs in the Newports... I wonder which model pup they used... I'd go with that one.

3. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

The Newport Pro comes stock with Duncan Seth Lovers. They sound great in this guitar.
    ArnieZ

4. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I considered the Seths, but the unpotted construction on a hollowbody with a spruce top seems scary to me. It must work pretty well if Hamer is installing them at the factory, but I'm still just a little reluctant to use this combo.

5. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Spruce top Newports can be bright, so I'd look for a pickup that won't accent the highs. I've not tried the 59s in mine (I'm running Darkbursts which are amazing in the pro).
    I've never been much of a Dimarzio fan, but you might try the PAF Pro.

6. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I like Seths and '59s.

The '59s sound fabulous in the Hamer Artist Mahogany, might be little brighter in the Newport, though.

7. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Supporting Member

If you want to try something different, install a set of TV Jones TVTron Classics....I just put a set into my Newport, and love the combination of midrange warmth and top-end sparkle that I get out of them.

The Seth Lovers are also great if you want more of a traditional Gibson humbucker tone.

Just be aware that installing the TVTrons will requiring routing two 1/8" slots in the neck pickup cavity to accomodate the longer screws.

joe

8. wilder

wilder Member

I've run a pair for Gibson Burstbuckers out of one of my historics in a Newport for a while. It was a very convincing 335 type tone. I think they sounded better in the Newport than in the LP.

Chris

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

+100 or more. I just bought a Newport off the Gear Page from Frisco Kid and it has Seth Lovers in it instead of the Phat Cats. This guitar is flat out phenomenal. I also have a Monoco Spruce top with Seth Lovers, I may have finally found the ultimate guitar tone for me. Before anything you owe it to yourself to try the Seth Lovers they are that good in this guitar.

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Seths I have in my guitar appear to be potted, and I didn't have any feedback problems other then the kind you want. It is an amazing combo and a lot of people told me during the breaks that the guitar sounded awesome.