Which effects on solo in "No one knows"/QOTS?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kodax, Apr 6, 2008.

1. kodax

kodax Member

Does anybody knows which effects is used to get that hollow sound on the solo in "No one knows" by Queens of the Stone Age?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I hear a touch of whooshing, so probably a bit of flange.

Josh is notoriously secretive about his equipment for his tone (I don't think he gets a particularly good one either), so "No One Knows". Bad pun.

3. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

If you're talking about the short solo starting at 3:20, then I only hear some sort of fuzz. Could be a pedal, or maybe a cranked amp and a boost, pickups with a lot of output...? I'm sure there are many ways to get that sound.

No matter what he uses, Homme's tone is quite recognizable and original IMO.

4. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

I completely agree. Probably not a sound that gets a lot of respect but the fact you can identify his stuff right away says something. I really like his tone...original and unique, and suits the sound/vibe to a T.

5. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

The bass sound on that tune (At the end where it's playing on it's own..) is really odd/cool sounding too.

Jeff

6. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I've never played one, but the Supercharged OD is supposed to nail that fuzz tone.

7. kodax

kodax Member

After trying around a bit, I think I get an ok sound turning
    - tone all down
    - Foxrox Zim on a little drive with Depth on full cut and Voice on 3
    -Foxrox Octron on full down, some plain, and a little up
    Guess not exactely as on the record, but who cares as long as it sound good.

BTW. After watching a lot of videos on the tube, I'm not sure if Josh is playing the solo on the record at all. He's definately not close on any of the liveshows where he plays a solo on this song...

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I thought it was like a Foxx Tone Machine or something, almost like there was a little bit of octave-up on there. I don't have the album, so it's hard to remember the exact sound. I think you're referring to the sort of flange sound, rather than the fuzz. Maybe an old ADA.

9. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

The fulltone ultimate octave is one of the Homme's
    beloved pedals

10. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

Hmm, that solo to me is pure Homme! I can just see that 2 finger playing and index finger bends!! I suspect he's just mixing it up live...

11. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

That figures. I just sold my Ultimate Octave about a week ago. I bought a used Analog Man NKT Sunface (complete w/ sundial) with the money I made, so I guess it's okay.