Which EHX Deluxe Memory Delay do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wyattt, Jan 21, 2012.

1. wyattt

wyattt Member

I have no idea of the DMM's history as far as revisions throughout the years other than the modern ones. I'm about to make a big amp sale and so I want to get one of these, but am not sure which.

So which do you prefer?

The DMM w/ Tap?

The DMB w/tap?

The DMMXO?

The DMM classic (current)?

or a vintage DMM (and which one?)

2. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I have a big box dual mn3005 chip memory man that was tweaked and serviced by howard davis.

I found the xo to be pretty and cool I was happy with the xo. I do find the mn3005 loaded version to have a slightly more musical vibe.

The DMMTT is my favorite. It sounds nearly identical albeit slightly more clear but also has twice plus the delay time.

Don't listen to the nonsense.. an xo can be just as cool as any big box, dmmtt and I am sure the dmm550tt also can be and are just as cool.

A good dmm is a good dmm regardless of the generation imo.

DMB different story.. Different pedal, dark and plucky sounding and nowhere near as cool of a vibe and the modulation does not compare.

3. wyattt

wyattt Member

Is there a way to find out which DMMTT someone is selling on here? I haven't seen any info on the Emporium as to one being 550 mil sec vs 1.1 seconds.

4. popinvasion

all dmmtt are 1.1 and have mn3005 chips

the dmm550tt has the mn3008 and is 550ms, not even in the stores yet.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. wyattt

wyattt Member

Oh ok. A friend just told me that the dmmtt's were in the 300's but because they are no longer in production people can sell them for more $. I thought they were still available.

6. popinvasion

you can find them used in the emporium for around $400

7. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

There are some on eBay. Both are going for $472 buy it now. If you didn't need 1100 ms and 550 is fine, wait for the DMM 550 TT. It will be $380.

8. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I had the DMMTT but didn't bond with it. Was too clear for me.
    I like my Deluxe Memory Boy better. I like it cause its darker...Just love how the repeats crumbles...

I'm keen to try the upcoming DMM550TT though...maybe they'll have tone setting on the repeats like the DMB...

Although, I'm currently having problems with the tap tempo, sometimes it doesn't work...weird.

9. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Big box DMM reissue for me...

10. succor

succor Member

I didn't know the DMB had a low-cut tone control until you mentioned that! Now I see that it's a "hidden" function. Thanks for the info.

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

How is it hidden? How do you use it? I don't have one, just might be interested in trying one out.

12. succor

succor Member

I just got this from the EHX site:

13. wyattt

wyattt Member

Does the low cut feature engaged help the sound to be a little more clear but not as pristine as the dmmtt's repeats?

14. JTL

JTL Member

Big Box DMM

15. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

I have the xo which I got new for $250. Really happy with it-the newer offerings look great but I have no use for TT. Might also check out the memory toy for its size. I didn't like the depth of the modulation but heard it can be adjusted via trim for a subtler effect.

16. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

I really like the DMMTT but it's hard to beat the big box DMM when it's dialed in just right. You really can't go wrong with either one IMHO.

17. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

to me the repeats on the DMB is like having the treble on 5 and bass on 5, while the DMMTT is like both on 7 (makes it clearer/pristine?). The low cut feature on the DMB cuts the low end up to 4 or 3 (if you want to) thus projecting the highs a bit more but not actually make it as pristine as the DMMTT. A bit clearer yes. I kept mine off all the time cause I like to have all the low end...sounds great to me.

The DMB i guess sounds "lower-fi" than the DMMTT? but that's my preference and why I stayed with the DMB...

I was using a Blackface amp though. Now I'm on EL84 amp. So I might give the DMM550TT a shot. Maybe it'll work better for my darker sounding amp. But for BF fenders, the darkness of the DMB suits best for me.

I never owned or tried a Carbon Copy but from the YTvideos i've seen it sounds similar to the DMB.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  18. wyattt

wyattt Member

Kingdavid,

Way to throw a wrench in there! I own an AC30 and a BF Tremolux.. I guess I should buy both versions then..

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I guess puff daddy was right after all...

"mo' money mo' problems"

or as in our case

"mo' gear mo' problems"

doesn't rhyme as good but the idea still works...

20. wyattt

wyattt Member

Yes, but I am likely parting with the Tremolux and going back down to one amp and buying some more pedals, hence my thread question.

Here's another.. Which would you prefer, a DMMTT, or a DMM (vintage) + a Diamond Memory Lane Jr.?