Which elements make a great guitar pickup?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Sorry if you've been brainwashed by Becky's lies and smear campaign. :) Wajcman's no saint, but Becky has flat out lied publicly to disparage BL USA's products. The rights to the name and business have been sorted out in court. Fairly? Who knows, but my point remains: BL USA is making the same pickups they always have. If you believe they are crap, then you're saying Bill's work is crap. Those are the pickups they were making when Bill was with the company. He, as you said, "was the designer". Either those designs were good, classic pickup designs that have stood the test of time, or they're "crap".
    If you want to convince me that Wilde is the better company, tell me about their great customer service. Their integrity as a company. Their quality control. Give specifics on how their designs have improved upon the originals with comparisons in tonal response and construction. Give me an interaction with the company that is businesslike and professional.

What would you think if Gibson CEO, Henry Juszkiewicz, and his wife started posting on numerous gear forums and social media that Larry Dimarzio was a thieving crook who lies about his pickups being made in the USA, who stole all his designs, and that his pickups are crap made in China? That the only way you could get the "true" PAF was to buy a Gibson?

I wish some investor would buy out both companies, fold them together, and form a solid venture free from Becky and EZ's baggage that will keep all of Bill's designs alive with good service, quality, and professionalism.

DR5Guy, Lewguitar and Polynitro like this.
  2. songtalk

songtalk Member

You sound like the typical modern consumer.

I am glad that Becky is doing it small and trying to keep Bill's good name alive in the pickup world.

Sorry they aren't Walmart-izing for your convenience.

I have never had a bad customer service incident in my 5 times buying from them. They have repaired a pickup free of charge. All used Wilde pickups I have bought that are approaching 10 years old work fantastically still.

I don't care if Wacjman wants to continue doing business, even in pickups, but to continue manufacturing and selling "authentic BL pickups, now made in China, and Bill didn't want this at all!"....its a no brainer....that is unethical.....no brainwashing involved.

Also, our court system is not a good gauge of ethics.

Agree to disagree. I can see you are convicted.

3. Sweetfinger

Far from. I've been in musical instrument retail and service for 20 years. I want a consistent product with good value and customer service that will work for my customer.

So you believe the BL USA pickups are made in China? You might want to step away from Becky's Kool-aid. I never said our courts were any gauge of ethics. It simply is a fact that the matter is settled.

4. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

OK..long story short... many, many years ago . . Wajcman and Bill are partners.... Bill gets gravely ill.. is hospitalized for an extended period... Wajcman seizes the opportunity to abscond with the "business" . . . producing pickups under Bill's name...

Bill recovers... and resume making pickups, only to find Wajcman unwilling to recognize the prior arrangements... thus ensues a long, continuing period of suing Wajcman .. Bill prevails in every instance (that should tell ya something right there).. Wajcman is ordered to discontinue using Bill's name, so he circumvents the order by incorporating under Bill Lawrence USA . . Bill pursues legal remedies again, the courts order Wajcman to pay Bill a percentage for every pickup he sells under that new name.. that order is still in effect today. Wajcman often slips into periods of non-compliance compelling Bill to enter the legal system again and again...

while the complete story is hours long... that's a brief summation... It is NOT hearsay... Bill himself related the experience to me in person... while standing in front of Ryman in Nashville in 2009....

For a more complete discussion visit the TDPRI and enter Wajcman's name...

I rather doubt Becky is distorting anything relative to the history. Such deceit is not of her character... and I know her... I was among the first she called the morning of that November 3, 2013, it was early here, which means it was the middle of the night there....

abbreviated chronology... 1950's, Bill as a "youngster" "consults with Leo on pickup design.... in the 70's his reputation precedes him, and Gibson taps him to run R&D in Nashville, he and Chet Atkins become "best friends" ... In the 80's he "hooks up with Dan Armstrong.. producing Guitars, pickups, Strings, etc... Dan dies in the late 90's... Bill begins his private company.. still in operation today. His last creation was/is the Bill Lawrence Micro-Coil... so very good, Bill considered dropping all the others in his line... it took several of us to convince him that not everyone like the same sound... thus the variety continues today.

If you are playing an electric guitar, Bill's influence is present in some aspect therein... While "we" don't get to decide what future generations will consider noteworthy, I suspect his name will fall in somewhere with those of Leo Fender, Les Paul, Bigsby, Rickenbacker, Orville Gibson and C F Martin... (there are others to be certain too)... If you knew the difficulties He and Becky endured to maintain the operational business, you would be "slack jawed".. Don't ask, he asked that I and a few others that were also close friends keep that information cloistered.. he was a humble giant... and I still miss him.

Ron Kirn

Schpyder, Lewguitar, Lt Dak and 5 others like this.
  5. zul

zul Supporting Member

Thank You, Ron, for sharing.

6. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Preach it, my brother! If I was a millionare, that's exactly what I would do - unify the brand.

7. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Don Lace doesn't count? I think his designs are as good as Bill's stuff.
    (but Bill's stuff is priced better)

xmd5a and Lt Dak like this.
  8. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I will say this about Bill Lawrence - those square, clear single-coil pickups he designed for the Gibson S-1 were TERRIBLE. So bad, that when I was building a guitar for a friend later on, I almost ignored any Bill Lawrence designs. I'm glad I didn't; he apparently learned a lot after that... :)

9. songtalk

songtalk Member

Those are not really passive single coil pickups in the traditional sense, to me. I am talking "fender style" pickups. Almost every single one being made now is attempting to replicate the past or augment it slightly.

Bill's designs behave noticeably differently.

10. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

11. Ron Kirn

bout 2010... Bill's declining health compelled him to look to other's that could assimilate his company and maintain the integrity.. he sold to Lace... it lasted less than a year, due to the philosophical differences... Bill reacquired and gave up on anyone else.

Bill would routinely purchase other's pickups... and analyze them.. if problems were found he would contact the makers and share the knowledge necessary to improve them. some were most grateful, others ignored him completely.

Elektrisola, the planets largest manufacturer of precision conductors retained Bill as a consultant relative to "things guitar".. If a new development was produced, Bill got it first... he would then report back... an example... a few years prior to his death.. they contacted him about evaluating Silver coil wire.. long story short.. he said fuggidabout it... compared to Copper, it sucked... Of course we all know, that didn't keep some pup makers from using it... which reenforces my contention that it's not the architecture.. but rather whether the guy that bought a set likes what he hears..

You would have had to share the opportunity to chat with Bill, and then other well known pickup makers... while all made or make great transducers...and very knowledgeable, Bill's s knowledge was so far beyond the others. it would have been analogous to Einstein chatting with a High School Physics Honor student... the Student's no dummy, but he isn't Einstein..

rk

Lt Dak likes this.
  12. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Mojo and little model # stickers:D

Silver Hand likes this.
  13. Sweetfinger

I don't know her, but most of what I have seen written and posted by her has been a prolonged smear campaign denigrating the product manufactured by BL USA, including outright lies. I'm sorry but otherwise nice people can lie and do unpleasant things. From what I've seen as a retailer and observer of the guitar business, as long as she is running Wilde pickups, I will not do business with her.

14. Ron Kirn

could be i'm mistaken... share, please, those outright lies if you would..

rk

15. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Hell hath no fury ...

16. songtalk

songtalk Member

Well are you gonna indulge Ron, Mr Sweetfinger?

Or were you just being a troll trying to smear Becky and Bill's legacy?

You were fairly active in responding until asked to present evidence and then you disappear.

I think everyone reading this knows who is in the right.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

im all about that Q!

18. Ron Kirn

What?? I don't see how you could get that idea... I consider Becky a very good friend, and their pickups are among those I love the most..

Bill kept me abreast of the antics of Itzak, (phonetic spelling) ... nothing anyone could say about the guy would accurately define his tactics, beginning with the initial forgery. As I said... he has lost in every legal action Bill found necessary to corral him... every one... that should say something about who is honest and who may not be.

I would imagine, with Bill's passing, he has achieved new levels on the prix-o-meter. . .

r

songtalk likes this.
  19. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Hehe didn't mean to quote you me thinks.

20. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

OP: When you're older and wiser, you'll realize that there are no Great PickUps, only popular ones and the "best in breed" are made very differently.

It's not even Brain Science.

^ Who told you to spill ALL the beans at once? Geez, those were trade secrets yesterday. Now, Iran can build pickUps!