Which Emi For 112 Combo With 6L6 Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Looking for maximum string definition for playing poly/extended chords with distortion.

Gotta be punchy for hit-you-in-the-gut single note lines as well.

From the descriptions at Emi's site & what I've read from the knowledgeable folks here, I'm really torn between the Wizard / Man O War / Texas Heat / Red Ryder.

So many choices...

2. mkg

mkg Member

Very happy with the Texas Heat in my brown Deluxe clone w/5881s. The punch is there at moderate volumes, single notes are fat and detailed, and I detect no speaker breakup at higher volumes, just amp overdrive.
    Haven't heard any of the other speakers you listed, though.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

You realize when you ask this type of question you will eventually get recommendations for every speaker known to man?!?

I have a pair of Emi Legend V12 speakers, rear mounted in a THD 2x12 cab that sound incredible for blues (ala SRV) or fusion ala Robben Ford. They are not quite transparent enough for jazz type stuff unless you're going for the very early George Benson type of tone.

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm a real Texas Heat fan and I think mkg summed it up.

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

All right, dammit.

I've heard too much about these Texas Heats, I'm getting one to try in an ext. cab this week. I think I've hear 18 people recommend them recently... I really have to stop reading these forums!

6. Electric I

Electric I Member

jzucker - yeah I know there's a ton of different opinions/experiences with Emi speakers, just trying to narrow down the multitude of choices. I realize it ain't gonna be easy. And thanks for the input, much appreciated.

mkg & fast ricky - after a little more delving, the Heat is now in the lead. By all accounts the Heat does have the fatness & punch needed. Thanks for your input, both.

The quest continues...

7. jzucker

How could you possibly pick a speaker based on advise from the forum? So far, I see wizard, tonespotter, red white blues, texas heat, swamp thing, legend - Basically the emi catalog. Then there's weber. :)

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

Don't forget Scumback, that'll get a plug. ;)

9. jzucker

What about the hemp speakers? Who makes them?

By the way, my faves would be JBL K series or original EV 12L (as long as someone else carries the cab...)

10. mkg

mkg Member

Electric I, good luck with whatever you choose. And jzucker is right, the variety of choices is almost too wide. At some point you just have to make a decision and live with it...until you decide to sell it and try something else!
    In golf they talk about "paralysis by analysis" where the player gets so wrapped up in technique that he forgets to swing smoothly. At some time or another I think most of us who frequent these forums have suffered from it.
    So pick one out, crank the amp, and swing smoothly.
    ;)

11. Electric I

Electric I Member

Heheh...Crazy innit?

Funny, with all the fuss about Emis of late, Weber's been under the radar.

There's another can o worms...

Thanks again for the input.

mkg - guess it's just like buying pickups - gotta hear for youself to know for sure. But starting this thread has served it's purpose - more info to draw from, despite it's subjective nature. Thank you again for your insight as well.

12. Electric I

Electric I Member

I really have to stop telling myself I really have to stop reading these forums...

:jo

13. mkg

mkg Member

Well, I don't blame you a bit for seeking info. The various forums do serve as good sounding boards, and can help one rule out this speaker, or that tube, or whatever.
    The nice thing is, as long as you buy quality stuff you can usually flip it without too much trouble and go on to something else.
    Besides, it's just fun to see how people go about trying to describe sound in text.
    I've been settled in to my gear for some time now...three guitars and two amps. Anymore I don't do much in the way of changing things, maybe swap out different preamp tubes now and then just for kicks.
    But if I ever hit the lottery, watch out!
    :BEER

14. Boogs

Boogs Member

Well, let's fix that, shall we?

Weber's Blue Dog (ceramic) is amazing. Wonderful, detailed high end, nice bottom and smooth mids. I had one in my possession recently and had to order one...should be here this week.

It really is a great speaker.

So, what were you saying again? ;)

15. alguit

alguit Guest

I use two Weber Blue Dog Alnicos in a Trutone open-back cabinet, and they sound particularly great with 6L6-powered heads.

16. Electric I

Electric I Member

Exactly

:dude

17. Electric I

Electric I Member

The Blue Dog is now on the look-into list as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.