Which Eminence 12" speakers for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I want something for a 2x12 open back cab that sounds great for fendery clean but also lights up for fusiony stuff ala Robben Ford tones.

Private Jacks?

Waddya think? This will primarily be used with an Allen Old Flame but possibly my Pritchard as well...

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

Not familiar with your amps, but for what it's worth...

I'm using Wizards in an open (1/3) back 2x12 with my Carvin X100b, and am loving it for sweet crisp cleans. It has a bit of a rise in the upper mids which makes it bite more when overdriven, but gives it that slight touch of honk when clean. However, I was just watching Ford's "New Morning" DVD last night, and am not sure that the Wizards will give you precisely that tone, if it's representative of his overall sound. His bite on that video is more Weber Blue Dog-ish in my humble opinion - very focused and defined. The Wiz is more laid back, but is the closest to this ideal of "Fender-to-fusion" in my mind as far as the Emi's I've tried (Wiz, Stonehenge, C-Rex, Blue Tick).

peace,
    David

3. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The Texas Heats might do it for you. They do a similar trick for me.

4. j37nm

j37nm Member

If you want to stick to the fender tone, I would definitely go with the texas heat. Nice bottom, nice midrange, and smooth top end. It doesn't have the distorted cone sound of the celestion. I think it is clearly and smoother.

+1 texas heat!

5. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

There are better choices if you're after sparkling high end, but gotta say TX Heat is great. Not "too" British, but does have the British dip at 1.5k that most Jensen/American types don't have. For me that's a good thing. Helps the distorted tones w/o killing the cleans. I think I could use it for about anything.
    BTW just saw a Fuchs amp in a store, Tx Heats in the open back cab.

6. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Patriot - Red, White & Blues all the way for this application. Use them with my TR amp they are nearly identical to the TR12-65 (which I own as well). Just my $.02.

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Love the Heats!!These are some DEEP sounding speakers. I can only imagine the low end of the Swamp Thang.

How about a Cannibus Rex?

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Jack, I use the Texas Heat or Swamp thing with a Fenderish or Dumblish amp.

Probably favor the Heat for open back

9. veldt666

veldt666 Member

Tokers paired to a Fuchs amp gives me a "GREAT" Ford / Carlton tone,
    (minus the talent & touch of course), just great thick, rich, smooth, loud, cleans & Overdrive. Huba Hubba!

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Another vote for the C Rex. Very big, thick tone without a hint of rasp....paired with a brighter driver like a G12H30 really yields some fat sounds with plenty of chime!

11. Marcello

Marcello Member

Tonespotter, Tonker or Cannabis Rex

12. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Has anyone here compared the C Rex with the T Heat? I'm a big fan of the T Heat but have always been curious about the C Rex...

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've never tried a C Rex, but I haave a Ceramic Tone Tubby on the way that I can't wait to compare to my Texas Heats.

14. jzucker

Just to add a level of confusion here, the speaker in my Pritchard sounds fabulous. I called Eric up and it's a 4 ohm version of the Eminence Legend V12 speaker.

Given that it sounds so good, I'm considering just buying a pair of Legend V12 8 ohm speakers for the 2x12 cab. Anyone know which newer series Eminence these are closest to? I'm guessing the Red White & Blues?

15. Shea

Shea Member

Well, they still make the Legend V12, you know. At least that's what their website leads me to believe. See: http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/legend/legv12.htm

Shea

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The Legends are still being made - damned fine speakers. If I recall correctly, the V12 is somewhat based on a Vintage 30 - their Redcoat Governor is even more close...

17. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I think Dave at Avatar has those for like $49.

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

I wouldn't guess that the Legend V12 would sound as good in a standard 2x12 as it does in the Pritchard cab. The Pritchard cab is front loaded, and the V12 seems to work well with front loading far more than most speakers, and similarly, the V12 seems to work *less* well for rear loading than most speakers. At most, mix one V12 with something, maybe a Texas Heat. If it were me, I'd do 1 Texas Heat + 1 Tonespotter or Cannabis Rex.

19. jzucker

I'm not a huge Vintage 30 fan. It sounds a bit harsh for clean for my tastes. These speakers remind me of the original Naylor speakers.

20. jzucker

My philosophy is to hear the same speaker in the open back cab (rear-loaded) first. Then, I may mix and match but if I take 2 speakers I've never heard in that configuration and then I don't like them, is it the speakers, the cab, the loading, or what?

From what I've heard, the Legend V series speakers are what Naylor was using in his original electraverb amps and they sounded great rear-loaded.