Which Eminence Speakers to choose????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tremonti, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

So what 4 eminence speakers for my marshall 1960B cab? 2 Wizards and 2 Govenors???

Have Mesa 2:90 power amp with 90 watts output per side. Play variety from prisine clean to heavy distortion.

Should I just keep the stock Celestion G12T-75's...I don't dislike them...I'm just playin around with ideas.

HELP!!!
    [​IMG]

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

That's a great combo, but I will admit I think I'm done with Eminence. The Weber and Scumback speakers just sound much better to my ears.

4. tremonti

tremonti Member

Yeah...but what amp do you use? What wattage? Style of music??

5. Guinness Lad

I use a Clubman and used to use a Guytron. The Clubman is 35 watts or so and the Guytron is 100. Style of music is blues, jazz, funk and whatever else.

Both amps sounded better with the Webers. I have tried these Eminence speakers, Texas Heat, Red Fang, Governor, Wizard, Private Jack, Cannabis Rex and the Tonkerlite. Of the Webers I've used the Blue Dog and 1265 and the Scumback (Weber made Jim Sevall designed) H75.

6. tremonti

tremonti Member

Yeah but my power amp is 180 watts! Different beast altogether...want reccomendations for a Marshall 4-12 straight cab and what speakers to put in it...or should I keep stock Celestions? Thanks

7. Guinness Lad

I think you could get by with a speaker that is rated at 50 watts (50 x 4 speakers = 200 watts) and up, there should be a lot of choices in this range. Old Marshalls used Greenbacks 25 watters with 100 watt heads, in fact this is a classic combination. I'm pretty sure Celestions are underrated power handling wise I just don't know how much.

Even if your amp has the capability of putting out 180 watts I doubt that you ever really do this when your playing.

8. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

I might be too. I haven't tried them all but the ones I have tried all had some 'quirk' to the tone but sounded fine otherwise. And the quirk was often different for the different models. It was like the highs were too dull...or too over-bearing...but never 'just right'. Add the fact that IMO they have way too many models to choose from and I think I'm just gonna give up on them.

I read that there have been tests where they put up demo booths in grocery stores for a jam/jelly company. Some stores had booths with 26 available jam/jelly varieties...other stores had booths with only 4 available varieties. The booths with only 4 varieties sold 3x as much jam/jelly as the 26 variety booths. IMO, giving people too many choices actually hurts sales.

9. brewhound

brewhound Member

4 Wizards or 4 GB128's would be my vote - maybe not the best speakers you can buy but definately the best value IMO.

10. tremonti

tremonti Member

Any votes for keeping the stock Celestions in? It's the easy thing to do...maybe the best thing to do???

11. tremonti

tremonti Member

12. tremonti

tremonti Member

13. brewhound

brewhound Member

For another alternative, get a couple of V30's or the Warehouse V30 clones and pair them with two of your g12t-75's. A lot of "metal" guys swear by that combo.