1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which Envelope Filter?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Midnight Oil, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Member

Hi,

I am looking for that funky tone. Which pedal gets me there? Especially cheaper ones. (without burning a hole in my pocket)

2. Kezend

Kezend Member

i heard good stuff about the EMMA discomBOBulator (yeh thats how it is spelt, with the uppercase). i think the mxr one is ok too. the maxon one is great!

3. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

4. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

imho, the best but most expensive of my choices is the emma discombobulator. tonefactor is very good. least bucks and still funky, eh dr. q i hope this helps.

5. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Member

Thanx everyone.

I have come down to this two:

ToneFacor
    Dr.Q

will decide in a few days.

6. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Rastop... it gets no better, seriously.

7. drolling

drolling Member

I'll take the Guyatone WR2 - Small, simple & cheaper than dirt!

For a pedal that's got only two controls (threshold & decay), you can get some very juicey, vocal sounds just by varying your pick attack & riding your guitar's vol. knob. And I got mine new for around 60 CDN, shipped.

Biggest drawback is the lousy *tone-sucking* buffer - this one's got to be in a loop when bypassed.

Another one I really dig's the Maxon AF-9 RI. Twice as big (like a Boss) and 4 times more expensive - It's the one I'd have if I was really into this effect. True bypass & lots of cool little sliders. Very similar to the old Ibanez series 9, but much easier to track dowm..

8. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I posted a clip of the Menatone Mailbomb. They're discontinued, though. It's the first and only analog one I've tried and I'm content.

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i'd shy away from the dr.q. some people have liked it but i found it quite thin and harsh.

i actually think the mxr is the best dollar for dollar. it holds up against my q-tron and mutron tonewise, it's tiny, and they are usually under $100 on ebay. fwiw, kimock has mentioned those three as being particularly good as well.

the emma and rastop are both good, just not quite smooth enough for me. but lots of people love 'em.

10. Thunder Fart

Thunder Fart Member

It seems like every couple weeks the same thread pops up with people looking for the best envelope filter. Every week the same recommendations are made. I'm not saying we're being redundant and people should just search the threads, but I think the envelope thing is extremely subjective.

When I purchased mine, I had the following pedals lined up to test:
    moogerfooger
    discomBOBulator
    Agent 00 Funk
    Maxon AF-9

The clear winner for me was the Maxon. SMALLEST of the bunch, and most responsive. True bypass, versatile, and housed in a TS-9 style box. The moog was also great and I could get some sounds that I couldn't get out of the Maxon, but was about $100 more expensive. These additional sounds were somewhat gimmicky, and while they were cool, I didn't see them as being worth an additional $100, not to mention the large difference in size - pedal board real estate...

The discomBOBulator gets a lot of praise around here, but it hardly affected my sound when playing through it. I've since come to learn that the true effect of this pedal is much fuller when placed after a boost. That makes a lot of sense to me, but it just didn't do it for me back then...

11. Jack

Jack Member

Yeah, I don't think to highly of Dr. Q. I don't think it's truly pick activated in that it's like a wah that rocks up and down at a set interval. I tried it in a store and just didn't like it. I use the pigtronix, but that's probably more elaborate and expensive that what you're looking for. I've heard good things about Tonefactor.

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

I agree with zoooombiex 100%. I had a Dr. Q and it was very harsh and shrill...unusable. I have tried many envelopes and also ended up with a vintage MXR and love it.

The ToneFactor is also a nice choice.

Oh, and I had a Mailbomb as well...didn't sound like the clips the earlier poster made so I am unsure of the consistency of them.

13. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

+1 on the Maxon.

While I am no En.Filter "expert", I did try a few and ended up with the AF-9 as well.

14. drolling

drolling Member

mmm..Yeah! Nice to see another proponent of the AF9:AOK - like I said , if ya got the dough, it's the way t'go - but I only need that effect for about 8 bars out of 8 hours of cover tunes in my bar band, so in came the WahRocker2 (don't get WR3 - doesn't sound as good, MO) and I had enough change left over to buy a Zendrive.. (shoulda kept the Maxon:jo:puh)..

Another caveat about ElectroHarmonix; When I was shopping around for mine, I had THREE of those Qs (AND one Mini/Baby!) crap out on me in a row... My Deluxe Memory Man RI from the same era's still goin strong, but they were definitely having QC issues back then.. Just read here yesterday that they've addressed that problem.. but..

The only backup I can consistently afford's picks n strings & an extra cord that crackles a bit..

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Get the Moog (mf-101) low pass filter, you can get funky sounds with that thing, or try the reissue mutron, I used a loveton meatball which if used properly can get some very funky sounds.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

It's actually spelled discumBOBulator.

Just sayin'...

17. shigihara

shigihara Member

and it's right in the middle of my board... :D

18. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

If you want to go straight envelope filter/auto wah I'd recommend the Emma DiscumBOBulator. I own it, and its a nice pedal, works well with sc and hb.

For a little more "wildness",:Spank and a more analog bubbly sound I definatley recommend the AF201 for Ibanez (AF=Autofilter).

Now I already hear people screaming "why pay big bucks if you can have a newer AF9 from Maxon or the AF9 from Ibanez for less money".... :moon BECAUSE: They are NOT the same. The AF9s sound a lot more sophisticated which can be a good thing if desired. The AF9 works, very much like the Emma, with both HBs and SCs very well - the AF201 however (with SC) needs a hard string attack/boostet signal - it is much more sensible to the incoming signal.
    Example: if you strum a chord and let it ring out the emma closes very evenly, the Af9s do so as well. They seem to even the signal out with some sort of compression at the end.
    The AF201 on the other hand starts to stutter/blubber in some sort of way. I know this doesn't sound like an advantge, however I like this behaviour very much, and I have yet to hear a more "analog" and bubbly sounding AutoWah/Filter for guitar and bass.

regards, Lu

19. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I've had an E.H. Q-Tron for many years. Pros would be the adjustability and range of filter effects and overall tone of the effect itself. Cons are the large footprint and the main thing for me is the affect on the bypassed tone. I loved the sound, but hated having it on my board. I'm keeping it though, for studio use, etc.

Just last week I got the Tonefactor Analogue Filter. It's on my board now. Sounds good, obviously with 2 knobs it's not as versitile as the Q-Tron but still has a nice array of sounds in it. Handles my most used filter effects nicely, just not the more extreme ones.

David

20. sandman

sandman Member

hey filter gurus, I just bought a Boss TW-1 and it doesn't seem to work right.

It doesn't 'quack' like my friends...What to do?

(I posted a schematic couple of threads below)