Which Ernie Ball Volume Pedal??? Help me!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek2615, Jul 2, 2006.

1. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Active, Passive, JR, ... I'm so confused. I run a typical setup, Strat into a bunch of OD, Trem, chorus, pedals... I just want to control the overall volume of my signal going to the mixer board. My tone is better with the guitar volume turned up so I'm thinking a volume pedal at the end of the chain (after the effects) would work for me.

Which one works best? Active JR at the end is what I'm thinking. Where is the "right" place and which one is the best?

Also, Will a volume pedal "boost" the volume or will it just "lower" the current volume level?
    Opinions needed.

Thanks!

2. Gil1

Gil1 Member

I got a Pasive JR the other day, and it sucked so much tone (uses the small pots) that I returned it ASAP.

I have an old style big passive pedal, and it seems to workwell.

3. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

It's been a while since I looked at the EB pedals. I have an old EB volume/pan pedal that I sent back to the factory to be refurbished.

When you mentioned "active" pedals, I briefly thought that perhaps EB was not putting an active buffer into some of their pedals. Then I realized that's what they call their low-impedance (25K) pedals.

Here's the rule of thumb: If you're going from your guitar straight into the pedal, you want the "passive" (250K) version. The same thing applies if you have all true-bypass pedals (and no buffer) ahead of the volume pedal. If you have a buffer somewhere in your chain (and that included a buffered pedal such as a Boss) then you can use an "active" (25K) pedal. You can also use an "active" pedal in FX the loop of most amps.

In general, you can use the "passive" pedal just about anywhere in a guitar rig. The "active" pedal is really only required if you're inserting it between a low-impedance source and a low-impedance input; this is typical of rack gear.

There might be a tiny advantage in using the "active" pedal at the output of a buffered board. You'd get less high-frequency loss when you backed off the volume in the case where you're driving a very long cable between the pedal and the amp.

Volume pedals (at least the ones without an on-board amplifier, which includes all of the EB pedals) will only cut the volume.

4. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Thanks! I don't have a long cable to the amp so you're saying passive would work at the end of my chain? even with the OD pedals cranked?

Are Ernie Ball pedals the best or are there any amplified volume pedals that would work better? If the volume pedal was amplified then I could take the Keeley Katana off the board and kill two birds with one stone.

5. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Yes.

Best? I don't know. Certainly built better than some of the less expensive ones (e.g. Roland, Rolls). There are a lot of volume pedal fanatics (pedal steel players, in particular) who wouldn't touch anything but a Goodrich or one of the other high-end pedals. Unless you ride the volume constantly, though, the EB will probably last you almost forever. And when they do wear (which can take years of normal use) you can get them rebuilt for less than half the price of a brand new one.

Morley used to make an amplified volume pedal, model BVB ("volume boost"). You might be able to find one on EBay. OTOH, those old Morleys are pretty large themselves. You may not save any space compared to a VP Jr. and a small boost stomp like an MXR.

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

One of my favorite guitar players, Allen Hinds, uses the Goodrich active volume pedal, he says it has the smoothest sweep, and he's tried them all. I can't say as I don't use volume pedals (yet) prefering to use the volume knob on my Strat. But do check out the Goodrich stuff.

BTW, I'm considering a Goodrich so I can have a buffer after all my true bypass pedals for the final cord run to the amp, and as a way to turn down while using the tuner.

7. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

If I understand correctly, if I want to place my EB Volume Pedal between my overdrive pedals and delay, I should be using the "active" (25K) instead of the "passive" (250K) version I just bought? Also, I have a mixture of true bypass and non bypassed (buffered?) pedals but I plan on running them all through a true bypass strip. At what point in the chain should a buffer be used?

This is the order of effects.

TBP Fuzz
    TBP Tuner
    TBP Wah
    TBP Compressor
    TBP OD 1
    NBP OD 2
    Volume (K-Value?)
    NBP Chorus
    NBP Delay

Thanks,

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Thanks for bursting the bubble, I was about to order one of these.

What are other reasonable, quality volume pedals to consider.
    I'm not going to put up the $$ for a Goodrich, as I'm not sure I'm going to end up keeping a volume pedal on my board. Just trying it out and doing some experimenting.

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

In that position I'd use a high-Z pedal. Anything after buffer, I'd use a low-Z.

10. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I ended up with an EB Jr. (passive) at the end of my chain and really like it. I don't notice any tone suckage at all. I have been very pleased with the EB. I'm using the Diamond Comp volume to adjust my overall volume and then backing off the EB so that I always have a little more available for the lead runs.
    Derek

11. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I picked up a perfect condition used Fender volume pedal on eBay for 15 bucks recently. Another 250k ohm setup, but much better feeling on the feet than the big clunky EB pedals, which I also own. Switch out the 250k for a 1meg ohm and you have yourself a perfect passive volume pedal. With the 250k, it robs way too much to justify keeping it in the rig.

12. pepperco

pepperco Member

Can you explain how it sucked tone ? When it was all the way up
    or when the volume was down a little ? Also where did you use it
    in the signal chain ? And what guitar and amp ?

Sorry for all of the questions. But I use a Jr. and I am always
    perplexed when people say it sucked tone. I have compared
    mine to other EB volume pedals and find no difference in
    my rig at all....at all. The taper and tone are different when
    using the volume down, but Its not sucked.

THANKS !!

13. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I find it sucks tone anywhere in the signal...any amp. Any 250k passive volume pedal will do it. If you've got a huge pedal board, then perhaps those pedals are sucking tone already for you not to notice any more change w/ the EB Jr.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I agree in theory that a 250k pot will bleed some highs off. A passive volume pedal to me is no more than another "volume" knob as is on your guitar except that it is after the signal leaves the jack.

Why does Les Pauls have 500k pots for their vol/tone contols? The higher the value the less highs are lost. A lot of guitar mods are changing out older 300k pots for 500k pots esp. on LP style guitars.

Why does EB use these 250k pots instead of at least 500k, or even 1M?
    Can they be changed out easily? Anyone?

15. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I have an Ernie Ball VP Jr and I can't hear any tone suck with my rig. I did one A/B comparison. Couldn't hear any difference. Now I don't even think about it. YMMV.

Best,

Martin

16. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

If you're using, say a Telecaster w/ 250k pots, into a Fender amp...you might find a 500k or 1meg ohm volume pedal to be wayyy too trebly. I would assume that those pleased w/ the 250k EB pedals might be running a single coil guitar w/ 250k pots, into a Fender or like minded amp.

17. jamison162

jamison162 Member

After the signal is tweaked and outa the guitar it doesn't matter, well let me say it this way.

A 250k pot can cut some highs, but a 1M pot isn't going to add anything that isn't already there. In a tele for instance the treble has already been throught the onboard 250k vol pot and tweaked via tone knob so at the volume pedal it's not gonna get more highs added or become more trebely or harsh.

18. pepperco

pepperco Member

Not trying to be antagonistic at all, but,
    I use humbuckers, and a marshall amp,
    and happily use a EB Jr.

For the longest time I was afraid to admit
    on the gear page that I used the VP Jr. I felt I would
    be at risk of being called out as a tin eared cretin.
    Trust me I am a tone tweeker extrodinaire. No stone go's
    unturned, from strings to speakers, and everything
    in between. If I thought that the Junior was a weak
    link it would be gone, quickly.

I will say, I use a 12 foot cable from the guitar to the
    pedalboard that DOES roll of some highs, which is how
    I like it. Also, I have a high quality BS2 buffer after
    the volume pedal. In addition, I use the Volume pedal
    in a true bypass looper with a Sex Drive in the same loop.

Never the less, I have noticed no appreciable high end
    loss using the EB Jr. in any position or test with my
    rig.......go figure. I guess this is one of those YMMV
    deals.......:dude

19. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

20. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

That's correct. Although one who is used to having a 250k volume pedal in their signal w/ that setup might not like the 500k, or 1M pedal to replace it as the existing highs would be more prevelant than w/ their existing 250k pedal.