• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which ES335 do you prefer: 59 or 63?

Which ES335 do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not really sure what the differences are besides the neck carve and the inlays but I feel like 335 players seem to prefer one over the other. Can you say which one and why? This might end up being my big purchase in 2014 so I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks!

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I'm interested in this as well. Never played a 59, but have a 63. As much as I like the 63, it's different from every other non-63 I've ever had/played (and that's quite a few). Been gassing for a 59, but wonder if people feel they are more different or similar to the 63's...

Gearaddict

63 all the way baby! My 50'th anni Memphis is a solid, best neck profile I ever played on any Gibson. Slightly beefier than the normal slim contour, I would put it between the modern necks and the 59 for a total win compromise. And the Burstbucker 1 and 2 are the perfect match for the 335. Gibson did the homework on this one. And blocks look cooler than dots on Gibson's. :drool

Lewguitar

I like the early 60's neck profile better than the 50's neck profile. The 50's neck profile can feel to full and chunky to me.

My 2001 ES-335 is one of the sweetest guitars I've ever owned - modern or vintage.

Although I did replace the original volume and tone pots with 500K and the 57 Classic were replaced with Tom Holmes humbuckers.

The guy I bought it from tried a year later to buy it back from me. Poor guy.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
63 all the way baby! My 50'th anni Memphis is a solid, best neck profile I ever played on any Gibson. Slightly beefier than the normal slim contour, I would put it between the modern necks and the 59 for a total win compromise. And the Burstbucker 1 and 2 are the perfect match for the 335. Gibson did the homework on this one. And blocks look cooler than dots on Gibson's. :drool
I played one of these last year and it was beautiful. Does it have the nylon saddles? If so what do you think of them?

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I voted '59 (have two '59 Historics) as that is my preference but........

I do like the '63 a lot too.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
I played both when looking for mine. I think the '63 Blocks were miles better sounding and playing then the three R9's I tried, though I did like the neck shapes more on the R9's. The Rusty Anderson, a '59, was the winner. Paired the playability of a '63 with the big neck of the R9's.

Last edited:

Tstyle

On the site, they have two ES 335 block reissues listed, one is 5100 and the other 3799. But the specs are confusing. They say it has 5 classics, but in the specs it says burstbuckers! WTF!

T.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
On the site, they have two ES 335 block reissues listed, one is 5100 and the other 3799. But the specs are confusing. They say it has 5 classics, but in the specs it says burstbuckers! WTF!

T.
Is one custom shop and the other USA? No way I'd buy a guitar for that much money with 57 classics. They're in my SG and I'm not into them.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder

T.

Welcome to the Gibson website experience!

Typical.

lukeII

When I bought my 59 (natural) there was also a Cherry Red 63 block. Cosmetically the red 63 is my favorite guitar ever and the version I tried was great sounding but the 59 just sounded and played even better. The 59 has the biggest neck of all my guitars but its very comfortable to play. I find 335s very inconsistent so its about finding one that speaks to you.

Alister

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 59 50th Anniversary, and it has one of the meatiest necks in my collection. I love it, and I love the 57 Classics in it, to the max.

However, the 63 will be my next purchase under GAS. Wouldn't mind a slightly thinner neck, just for a contrast.
'

Trending Topics

Top Bottom