Which features of Bounce Metronome Pro interest you most for mobile devices or Mac?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by robertinventor, Aug 12, 2010.

Which features are of most interest to you for Mobile Devices or Mac?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. The 3D gravity bounce conductor visuals

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Polyrhythms such as 2 over 3 over 5 over 7 etc

25 vote(s)
    89.3%
  3. Polyrhythms with mixed note types such as 4/3 over 4/4

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  4. Mixed meters such as 2 + 3 + 2 / 8

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  5. Mixed meters with mixed note types such as 4/4 + 7/8

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  6. Harmonic metronomes and the Rhythmicon

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  7. Drum Rudiments

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  8. Swing Metronome

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  9. Flamenco Clock

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Rhythm cycle metronome - Mixed meters of polyrhythms played on after another

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

2. Neer

Neer Member

Although the visuals are excellent and are an important part of the software, I, personally, use my ears more than my eyes with regard to the program and polyrhythms. I might use the conductor to help get locked into a polyrhythm, but really it is the sound I'm most interested in.

3. dsw67

dsw67 Member

+1 :aok

4. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Thanks, that's useful to know.

It would be good to have some way to let voters set your level of interest in each feature e.g. from 1 to 10, but not sure how to do that, maybe you can't do it here. I can look into it for any future polls, maybe do them on my own website if can't be done here.

Anyone else interested in these features - be sure to cast your vote!

And do feel free to add your comments here as well.

Thanks,

5. mike walker

mike walker Member

Still want one for Mac. Bawlin like a baby.

Most of the features interest me. As a teacher, the visuals are great.

6. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Dubbly!

7. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Thanks, interesting information.

Seems all the features are wanted by a majority so far at least 5 out of 9, and from what you say about 3D graphics, important to some, less so for others. Basically I should look into just implementing as much as possible.

Today I've been looking at some tutorials for 3D flash.

Here is a page with lots of 2D bouncing balls - do they bounce reasonably smoothly on a Mac? I mean - just whether the animation freezes at all or seems continuous.

http://www.actionscript.org/resources/articles/127/1/Flash-Physics-Study/Page1.html

As for appearance I can make them look nicer and 3D and easier to follow

Here for instance, orbiting planets

http://www.developphp.com/Flash_tutorials/show_tutorial.php?tid=305

Don't worry if it seems quite basic. Once I have a working demo, I can surely gradually add texture mapping, shadows, splash effects etc. as in BM Pro.

The other element is sound. With flash, could just embed the sound as mp3s to start with:

http://www.developphp.com/Flash_tutorials/show_tutorial.php?tid=31

When you move the mouse over the button on that page, do you hear the sound immediately?

I know flash isn't ideal for the Mac, normally not be hardware accelarated - and especially that the iPad and iPhone currently doesn't support it at all except through an unsupported 3rd party developer hack - as a result of policy decision by Mac because Steve Jobs isn't keen on Flash. Though that might change, news recently that he has added ways to enable flash hardware acceleration on some Macs.

But for what I want to do it may well be fast enough, and there's a chance that it will get hardware acceleration in near future.

Also it seems pretty easy to do an app with a lot of it design type stuff rather than writing code. At least in those tutorial clips the demonstator seems to get things done pretty quickly. Looks a lot easier than Java typically is.

It's the sort of thing, the bouncing balls where once you have the basic bouncing ball and click sorted out, that's your building block done. Need some way for user to input the tempo, and then you already have your basic bouncing ball metronome. Then adding simple polyrhythms wouldn't take long after that either.

Then of course lots of work to do for conducting patterns, and the various types of rhythm etc. But at least you would have a demo going pretty quickly which would already be interesting.

Also don't need a Mac or other hardware really, not if all you are doing so far is just a web page plug in, not even a stand alone program, so could start small which tends to be a great help when you are doing something new. Ideally you want to have something an end user can try out within 30 days max so you start to get feedback on how it works. With flash, given that I would have a learning curve to get started, but still may be able to have something fairly quickly, maybe even in days.

If as easy to do as it seems, could still try out other approaches later on and even if you don't go the flash route for the stand alone app., well you have a nice on-line metronome anyway as a result of it.

Anyway do give a go with the Mac flash demo links, and interested in any observations about the idea of a flash version for Macs and some mobile devices.

8. mike walker

mike walker Member

All works for me on my mac, Rob.

9. SyKrash

SyKrash Member

Mac and iPhone app Plz.

10. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Okay great, and glad to hear the Flash works fine on your Mac, Mike.

I'll give it a go some time when I can set a week or two aside to investigate and see what I can do - and which of the several tools available for developing Flash is the one best suited for me and for this application.

Of course first version is likely to have few features, but I'll try to at least do some of the polyrhythms early on (likely to be fairly easy to do and interesting to many), and design it thinking ahead so the other features can be introduced in time.

But feasible I'd say, when you see demos that already are quite close to what I want to do that work fine too - and actually I welcome an excuse to learn some Flash programming, useful skill for websites :).

Will keep you posted when I have time to work on it some more.

11. Neer

Neer Member

And to think, all this because I posted a positive review of the software! Very commendable that you're willing to work so closely with the community and listen to the suggestions of your users. That is a very important feature of the software right there.

12. mike walker

mike walker Member

It all comes down to you......(Joni)

Thanks Neer.

And thanks to Rob for taking the time to look at this.

13. shigihara

shigihara Member

:bow

while the use of really complex polyrhythms and metric modulations of time is naturally more limited in most areas of jazz and more popular musics,
    the possibilities offered by this program actually caters to the practical needs of orchestral musicians and composers specializing in 20th century classical and contemporary music.
    I told some (non-guitar) musician friends about bouncemetronome and they were really excited about what it had to offer... and the visual 'conductor' is very important I think... looking forward to further developments...

14. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Thanks also for your review of my software :).

Yes indeed, I hadn't given the matter much thought at all until this thread just thought - well if I expand to the point where I can afford to employ a mac programmer, hadn't really seriously considered doing anything myself so soon.

So I'm also grateful to you all for showing interest in the project, and to help me to realise it isn't quite so hard to do as I thought - well will see how it goes of course, hope not speaking too soon there but a Flash app with bouncing balls and mp3 sounds for the clicks doesn't seem too unatainable a thing to do to get started on it :).

15. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Thanks for sharing it with your (non guitar) musician friends, and of course, if there are any wishes or features of special interest to anyone I'm always interested to hear about them and will add them to the wish list if not immediately programmed.

After trying out the poll here, I thought it might be a good idea to do the same thing for the wish list too, because it is often hard to know which of all the wishes is actually worth programming in the near future and which isn't so important to do. I mean - sometimes I do something just because of some development that makes it technically easy to do even if few people need it, but I'm talking about the things that you need to spend some time to implement.

I.e. do a poll - perhaps on my own website might be more appropriate for a wish list for the program and might also mean I can let you set a preference from 0 to 10 if I can figure out how to do that - for maybe the main features in the wish list, and get some feedback about what is most needed, and so on.

I've enjoyed doing this poll and thought it was useful to see the results - even though there was no particular feature that stood out as the one to implement - but that in itself was a result. Shows that there's a lot of interest in a wide range of the rhythm capabilities, also with probably many people who responded to the poll checking nearly all the boxes.

If anyone who reads this hasn't done the poll yet and you are interested in a version for Mac or mobile device - do complete the poll, it's helpful to see the results.

Thanks,

Robert

16. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'd use it on my Mac Book Pro or iphone...but really love to have it on my ipad.

17. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Yes I can see that, an app like this is a natural for the iPad with the graphics that benefits from plenty of screen space, combined with the simplicity and portability of the iPad which you want ideally for a metronome.

I wonder if flash will get supported for the iPad once there is competition with Windows 7 clones and Android devices, all with flash support?

If not, well see how it goes, I can look into other approaches such as the 3D engine, and multi-platform languages.

18. shigihara

shigihara Member

I think it has been made clear by Apple that we won't see any support for flash re: iPad & iPhone in the future... no need to go into discussions about the 'why'
    or pro vs. con... so far the windows & android devices are no competition...
    the bouncemetronome is perfect for the iPad.

19. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Yes I know that, I've seen news reports saying just that. But saw a glimmer of hope for more Mac Flash support in this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/11/hardware_accelerated_flash_for_some_macs/

Not about the iPad as such - but wonder if perhaps if they can overcome whatever the issues are that make flash slow, as they seem to have done there with at least some graphics cards - then Steve Jobs may change his point of view.

I agree there is no competition for the iPad at all right now. But there are lots on their way in a few months time. 32 different devices at a recent count though that includes a few that are just a concept and not yet even prototypes. But a good few that are potentially serious rivals in a few months time:

http://technologizer.com/2010/08/12/ipad-alternatives/

Not trying to start any kind of argument. Just so you can see the background geeky news stories that I had in mind in my post. It seems pretty certain that say by this time next year there will be lots of Windows 7 and Android iPad type clones around, which will have many of the iPad capabilities and they will all have Flash support. So - not immediately, but depending how much users feel it is important to have Flash on a device like this, if users do want it a fair amount, it might be quite strong market pressure for the iPad, and then it's possible things might change, especially if at the same time it becomes technically possible to do faster and more "native" flash on a Mac.

So - those are the thoughts and the background behind my post, hope that's clearer now.

If I can't do it in Flash for iPad - well I'd probably stilll do Flash as that's a good way to get started on the project, lets you embed it in web pages and gets it on Mac and Linux and some mobile devices at least such as Android phones etc.

Then I'll probably explore (or possibly at the same time) - well the Irrlicht 3D engine at the moment seems perhaps the best contender at the moment, but will see what appens.

20. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Any info on whether BM runs ok on a Mac using a virtual machine eg Fusion or Parallels?