Which Fender amp if you're recording with no speakers?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ramblin' Ghost, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Ramblin' Ghost

Ramblin' Ghost Member

This is kind of a half Amps & Cabs half Recording question, but I think more Fender experts read this forum, so here it goes:

I've moved into an apartment so tried and true tricks don't work. I've found that I quite like the tone of a guitar -> 72 Marshall Superlead -> Ultimate Attenuator line out -> Apogee -> Logic. It kinda sucks compared to that amp in front of the scumback loaded 4x12 on which it sits, but for my current home studio situation, this dummy load signal path does the job pretty good (My walls are thin enough that my neighbor actually asked me to turn down my acoustic...life happens).

My first question I guess is whether anyone has gotten great (usable) Fender cleans with this kind of set-up?
    Cleans are really where I think digital/software modelers are unusable. You can get crisp and plinky, but I haven't been able to get full and warm. The Superlead recorded this way has pretty solid cleans, but I need some Fender flavors.

So which Fender would you choose for this application?
    I've got a Super Reverb and a Princeton, but I'd need a different attenuator/dummy load to make either work with 2ohms. I could either just get one of those and keep the amps I have (then I would be able to split the guitar signal and record two amps at a time), or I could unload an and pick up something else of equivalent value. From what I'm seeing on the market I could snag a blackface bandmaster/bassman/showman or silverface deluxe reverb. Thinking $500-800 range. I haven't gotten a new amp in a while (over a year!), and I think I have a buyer for the Princeton, so I'm probably going to change it up anyway.

I guess I'm just wondering whether anyone has recommendations or has tried and failed at this approach. I'm leaning towards giving a showman or dual showman a try, partly because I think it would work great on bass too. I just don't know how much that beefy bottom end actually translates recording this way. I have only tried this recording approach with one amp. The JMP. It still has some beef, but not quite the thump you'd expect from a 100 watt marshall. So it becomes a question of degree. If a 50 watt marshall would have the same thump recorded like this, then presumably a Bandmaster would have the same fullness as a showman? Or even the Deluxe reverb? which would also be a versatile grab and go for small gigs and practice as well (and I can't believe this dude is selling a '70 for $800)? Too many darn options.

Clean guitars and tubey bass tones is the end goal though. Thoughts?

Maybe just get a UA 610 and call it a day...but that wouldn't work in the Amp forum.

(PS I know I need to post some clips of the JMP recorded like this for posterity. It will wind up in this thread in due time.)
    (PPS I refuse to sell my amps to buy an Axe FX. Grew up on crap modelers and prefer the glow of tubes.)

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I just picked up a Fryette Power Station. Get one of these and you can use any tube amp you want.

[​IMG]

3. Ramblin' Ghost

Ramblin' Ghost Member

Very cool. I've got to look into that.