Which Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt guitars hold their value?

csscp

Recently, I saw a John Cruz Telecaster built for the 2004 NAMM show and the seller wants $3,500 for it. The guitar plays, sounds, and looks beyond words. I am seriously preparing to pull the trigger on that one.

However, although I don't see guitars as investment, I still need to think on how the John Cruz built guitars hold their values. Any ideas?

mudster

High Prairie Wrangler
Gold Supporting Member
IMO, Cruz builds hold their value the most of any builder at the Custom Shop, although this is especially true of his strats. One caveat; I don't know if the earlier builds are as valued as more recent ones, but I rather doubt it.
I have a Cruz strat and I just can't say enough good things about it. I love it.

XKnight

If you buy used, you'll be fine. Cruz is one of the better known Fender Masterbuilders.

klwn

John Cruz's guitars by far, as long are the specs match the market's demand. A nice Relic in a popular color usually attracts a lot more interest than an NOS guitar, at least in JC's case. Most of all, people want his relic'd necks.
The color of the finish can influence the price by a huge margin too.

Then Todd Krause, especially if it's Clapton-related.

Also anything with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard from the WW10 series.
Recently, a Jason Smith Strat in Charcoal Frost Metallic (very popular color) with a Braz fretboard sold for more than $5k on eBay. Used Smith Strat's average between $3,500 and $4,000 so that's a big difference.

But most of all, anything related in any way to John Mayer and the BLK1.
They are still the main icons for an important part of the Custom Shop's customer base and anything that resembles the BLK1 will attract buyers with a lot of money.
A black JC Strat with gold hardware will sell within days/hours, whether it's a Relic or not.

For example, and the funny anecdote, I just got offered 6500€ ($8,500) for my black/gold Ultimate Relic Strat, and it's not even for sale (yet), that was just from talking about it with a guy who really likes John Cruz guitars.
The JM/JC hype has been going on for years and it won't stop for a while I guess.

Abby pickups will now have a major influence on the price as well. Abby sets are currently selling for $500-$800.

rickc007

Gold Supporting Member
Recently, I saw a John Cruz Telecaster built for the 2004 NAMM show and the seller wants $3,500 for it. The guitar plays, sounds, and looks beyond words. I am seriously preparing to pull the trigger on that one.

However, although I don't see guitars as investment, I still need to think on how the John Cruz built guitars hold their values. Any ideas?
They're definitely not investments, even though Fender is trying to market them that way.

They are tools, just like they were originally designed.

However $3500 is not a bad price for Cruz Tele, if you like it and it plays well.
The current Fender MAP is about twice that.
You won't lose on it. The guy that originally purchased the "investment" already took the loss

Cream

Not The Brightest Member
Silver Supporting Member
2004 50th Anniversary 1954 Reissue Masterbuilt Stratocaster above all else. There are websites with owners lists dedicated to that guitar.

Todd Krause EC Masterbuilds.

John Cruz's (primarily relic and/or rosewood board -- thanks to the JM hype)

But like rickc says, I wouldn't buy any of them as "investments" unless it was used.

Classic09

A minor digression before getting back on track:

I have a team build 2009 Nocaster relic that plays like butter. It came from he factory with a rosewood board an I'm very happy with it that way. Sell on may take a hot because of that but that's not why I bought it.

Coming back in track, I've played my friends Masterbuild Nocaster heavy relic and Masterbuild Strat (also black) heavy relic and they are a step above the team builds, which surprised me.

I realise people do buy guitars as investments but my main focus is on playing and enjoying the instruments. Yes, I keep one eye on the future but my primary focus is on my musical needs and preferences first and for most.

Are the Masterbuilds worth it? I think they are!