Which Fender for quintessential James Brown

smallcrap

I love that jangley clean, anyone know what amps were likely used by Bootsy Collins(?) and whatever other guitarists were featured on some of the classic JB recordings?

EDIT: I guess Jimmy Nolen was the early guitarist. Anyway...

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure what was actually used most, but I gotta think that a Deluxe or Twin Reverb would be perfect.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Probably any from a Deluxe on up, depending on how big you want the sound.
Certainly a Super Reverb or a Twin. According to a few 'net sources Jimmy used a Twin, but used an ES-175 or an ES-5 both with P-90s.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
A Blackface Twin Reverb would be the top pick for funk cleans. You could go with a Super Reverb as a second choice if you need on board reverb, but a single Showman with a JBL D130F in the tone ring cabinet would be my choice.

smallcrap

Thanks for the info guys.

What "Deluxe" are we talking about here? I assume not a tweed deluxe. Deluxe Reverb?

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen Jeff Tamalier (TOP) get VERY funky with a Tele and a Fender Vibro-King. Although I"m sure a BF Twin will do the job in killing fashion.

S.
j

guitardr

Flyin' Brian & TNJ are on the money.

Saw James Brown's revue at Soldier's Field and it was Twins on the backline. But over the years I've seen pictures & video from England and elsewhere & there was Vox and other amps on stage.

The kicker was seeing James jump off the stage & dance on what I thought was grass. It didn't matter: he was incredible and the band was tight as all hell.

rob2001

Sorry to hijack but I just watched James Brown live from House of Blues in Vegas last night on VH-1 classic. What an awesome band and James was one of a kind.

On the gear, i'd think any fender with good clean headroom and a Jazzbox Gibson guitar will get those tones. The guys last night used a PRS and a Strat FWIW, not sure on the amps. I figure 80% of that kind of guitar tone is MOJO!!

ROKY

Sorry to hijack but I just watched James Brown live from House of Blues in Vegas last night on VH-1 classic. What an awesome band and James was one of a kind.

On the gear, i'd think any fender with good clean headroom and a Jazzbox Gibson guitar will get those tones. The guys last night used a PRS and a Strat FWIW, not sure on the amps. I figure 80% of that kind of guitar tone is MOJO!!
Yup. very much so; in this particular case.

Free

Simple - a Tele or Strat and any Blackface or Silverface amp at all - from a Deluxe on up wattage wise. Just determine your headroom/volume requirements, as you'll need a lot of headroom.

Paul Conway

I love that jangley clean, anyone know what amps were likely used by Bootsy Collins(?) and whatever other guitarists were featured on some of the classic JB recordings?

EDIT: I guess Jimmy Nolen was the early guitarist. Anyway...

Early on:

Phelps 'Catfish' Collins
Alfonzo 'Country' Kellum
Jimmy Nolen
Bobby Roach
Les Buie

Get the Allen Slutsky 'Funkmasters' book/cd. You'll thank me.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
I also saw Jeff Tamilier absolutely funk it up with a strat and a tele thru a HRD 4X10. Once live, and also on a video from ohonline in Germany.

Trending Topics