• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Which Fender Stratocasters have the S1 Switching?

ArtDecade

Currently, I see the S1 listed on the Elite series, but I am wondering what other Fender Strats have or had the S1 over the years. I don't mind looking used as well - in fact I'd prefer it because I am cheap. I am looking for a back for a Brian May Red Special style guitar so the series switching is important.

ArtDecade

American Deluxe
Mexican Roadhouse Strat
I believe some of the Mexican Deluxes had it as well.
Some of the Mexican ones have it? That is great news. I am just hunting down something to use as backup if something goes sideways. Hopefully, the pricing of those is more in-line with what I am doing. Thanks!

EDIT: Just noticed that the Roadhouse guitars have the S1, but they don't operate like the Elites. The Mexicans have a preamp that the S-1 switches in and out of the system - rather different series and parallel options of the existing pickups.

Last edited:

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Remember the S1 is just a switch. It does what it is wired to do, and does different things for different guitars.

USA models:
  • mid-2003-2007 American Series HSS Strat - S-1 gives you 5 additional wiring schemes
  • mid-2003-2006 American Series HH Strat - S-1 gives you 4 additional wiring schemes (I think Position 1 was bridge humbucker for both settings)
  • 2004-2015 SSS American Deluxes - S-1 gives you 5 additional wiring schemes
  • 2004-2015 HSS American Deluxes - S-1 gives you 5 additional wiring schemes (also has total bypass button 2010-2015)
  • 2013-2015 HSH American Deluxes - S-1 gives you 5 additional wiring schemes
  • 2016-present SSS American Elites - S-1 gives you 5 additional wiring schemes
  • 2016-pressent HSS American Elites - S-1 gives you 5 additional wiring schemes, plus has bypass button
MIM models typically use the S-1 for a single function:
  • 2014-mid-2016 Deluxe Roadhouse - S-1 turns the active circuit on and off (the active circuit has a 6-way rotary switch)
  • 2014-mid-206 Deluxe Lone Star - S-1 is a coil split for the bridge humbucker
  • mid-2016-present Deluxe Roadhouse - S-1 turns the active circuit on and off (the active circuit has a 6-way rotary switch)
  • mid-2016-present Deluxe HSS Strat - S-1 is a coil split for the bridge humbucker
  • mid-2019-present Vintera 50s Modified Strat - S-1 adds neck and bridge pickup together
  • mid-2019-present Vintera 60s Modified Strat - S-1 adds neck and bridge pickup together
If you're looking for all those series combination then you'll need to find one of the USA models, so the only new one would be the American Elites. Probably the most prevalent on the used market would be the American Deluxes 2004-2015. But I think they did tweak the settings of the S-1 over the years at least once - not necessarily when they changed models (American Deluxe 2nd Generation was 2004-2009; 3rd Generation was 2010-2015). The cheapest solutions would be to find one of the old American Series HSS or HH models from mid-2003 through 2007 (I think the HH was dropped at the end of 2006, but maybe it did continue into 2007).

Last edited:

ArtDecade

^ That is what I didn't understand. I figured the S1 had to do with Serial/Parallel switching, but it does a lot more than that. Thanks, mate!

chichi

^ That is what I didn't understand. I figured the S1 had to do with Serial/Parallel switching, but it does a lot more than that. Thanks, mate!
S-1 is a 4PDT switch, say it in a simple way - when it was pressed it toggles 4 sets of on/off or on/on switches. Therefore there are so many wiring diagrams can be achieved. Many of those S-1 equipped guitars also have the 5-position Super Switch, which equals to 4 sets of 5-position switch, more diagrams or functionalities can be achieved. I even modified the stock Fender diagrams myself because they don't have Neck and Bridge in parallel. You can find someone that know how to design wiring diagrams to achieve what you need, with S-1 and Super Switch.

Last edited:

Trending Topics