which fender tweed to build??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dewman, Aug 4, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I want to build a tweed repro. Thinking about either a tweed deluxe or pro (w/15 inch speaker), or maybe even a tremolux (adventurous thinking.) Can you guys recommend a specific circuit (god they varied so much), parts source/kit? Any merits to picking a deluxe over a pro, or vice versa, other than the obvious 6V6 vs. 6L6 thing...

2. brad347

brad347 Member

what style of music? Do you like clean headroom or early breakup?

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

If it's a first build I would suggest the Deluxe. It is a fairly simple circuit but gives one of the all time best sounds. Everyone needs one of these amps in their arsenal.

Then again, a Champ would not be a bad idea either! ;)

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

early breakup is greatly appreciated...I thought about the Pro after playing a Victoria 35115 amp. real nice, but I like the 6V6 tone as well, for different reasons. Im looking for a relatively easy build. I am not apoopsed to a kit, although often the trannies and components are not top quality. Any kits that rise to the top?

6. brad347

brad347 Member

I'd say go for a 5E3 deluxe.

7. ked

ked Supporting Member

One of the best Deluxe kits around is done by Mission Amps, they use quality parts.

Ken

8. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I built a tweed Pro copy... actually, Todd Shock at Wakarusa Amps built the head and I did the cabinet. Anyway, the Pro is very cool. The head cost me as much as most kits, but it has a great master volume, Mercury Magnetics trannies, top shelf caps/reisistors, and a switchable pot for negative feedback. Wow! I've had it for about a year, now, and I still love it. You can't go wrong with tweed!

Old Tele Man! So, the Weber Double Deluxe kit will go from 2 6v6, 4 6v6, to 2 6L6? Is that without opening it up? I'm guessing you'd have to rebias? Or do you have to decide at some point during the build and then you're stuck with it? Curious!

9. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

5E5a pro you'll be glad you did!!!

10. ES350

ES350 Member

I like Weber's Proluxe idea---a fixed bias 6L6 version of the 5E3 (think 5E5A output circuit with a 12"). It seems that's where a lot of people want to go with a 5E3 after they get it done ('How do I make it louder?'). Might as well do it in the first place...I added some parts to a Mission 5E3 kit and it's pretty versatile, very giggable.

11. psalt

psalt Member

+1 on the 5e5a

12. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

13. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

A fun amp !
    A double deluxe if you want BIG FUN.

JJ