Which Foo Fighter wins the cools guitar award?

Arewenotmen?

So after seeing the Foo Fighters last Friday night, I have to designate Pat Smear as the winner of the cool guitar award. While Dave Grohl played his signature Pelham Blue Trini Lopez model (along with a black Trini on the last song), a black Explorer, and white Deusemburg (!), Smear rocked a:

-Jeff Tweedy Signature SG, Pelham Blue
-Inverness Green SG with Tweedy specs (white pickguard, etc).
-Gold SG Custom
-Red SG w/ P-90s
-Something that looked like an Electrical Guitar Company guitar, in cobalt blue
-Black Hagstrom of a model unknown to me.

Go Pat!

Does anyone have any info on the EGC or Hagstrom guitars he plays?

ScottySevins

Pat actually got a mighty mite baritone neck for one of his hag's and that's heard all opposer the new album. I saw the foos when they were in Philly back in November and they effin killed. Didn't see Dave with a explorer tho, he was rockin a firebird studio in black for stacked actors. I saw them the last 2 tours and was in the pit. They are by far the best live band I've ever seen. I can't freakin wait to see them again. They said something about playing the electric factory when they were in Philly. Maybe well get a treat. Ths is if I could even get tickets

ScottySevins

no kiddin i believe it he was really into them back in the day, and played one of those triple pick up sg customs for a long while. I think that is one band that everyone has really cool guitars in their own right

HyakuShiki

Personally, Chris wins for me. I've seen him playing:

A pretty cool, mirror-guard Flying V
A DAMN cool Les Paul Custom that's faded to a cream white
A sick Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe
Another DAMN cool Explorer in black/white.

Not to mention he's an awesome player.

FelipeBr

I love Chri's Les Paul

Screen-shot-2011-09-05-at-9.27.08-PM.png

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
Man, Dave's Pelham Blue Trinis are some of the coolest guitars out there, IMO

Arewenotmen?

Chris Schiflett usually plays a nice stable too.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that he only played two guitars all night (which is kind of cool in a way, but not so much for gear-spotting). He had the above pictured Les Paul for only a few songs and a white tele for the bulk of the night -- probably his signature model.

Fenderkid67

does anyone find it interesting that anytime a artist gets a guitar built from Warmoth Parts, fender comes in and says "hey lets make you a signature." ie Schiflett, and the sonic youth boys.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Personally, Chris wins for me. I've seen him playing:

A pretty cool, mirror-guard Flying V
A DAMN cool Les Paul Custom that's faded to a cream white
A sick Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe
Another DAMN cool Explorer in black/white.

Not to mention he's an awesome player.

I agree with the exception of the V... Never liked those at all. I want a Shiftycaster.

CS is a good player... I want that job if he ever leaves the Foo!

saneff

Silver Supporting Member
I agree with the exception of the V... Never liked those at all. I want a Shiftycaster.

CS is a good player... I want that job if he ever leaves the Foo!

Is there a better guitar player's job anywhere in the world than the gig CS has?

Braunzo

I assume you saw them at Midtown Music, OP?

I was there and I agree, Pat had the cool guitars of the evening by far.

Chris pretty much just played his new Tele for all the standard stuff and the Les Paul for the Drop D stuff.

I'm not big FF fan, but they put on a hell of a show and were generally entertaining. I think Pearl Jam stole the whole festival followed right behind Garbage. FF probably winding up being in third for the whole festival.

83stratman

I actually can't think of any other sig that started out as a Warmoth parts o caster. Please fill me in.

does anyone find it interesting that anytime a artist gets a guitar built from Warmoth Parts, fender comes in and says "hey lets make you a signature." ie Schiflett, and the sonic youth boys.

pir8matt

Sonic Youths Jags and Jazzys were all real current or vintage pieces, at least until a whole bunch of them were stolen:

Whoa now that's crazy - I was just looking for an old-ass article about that, and just YESTERDAY an article ran about them ending up getting them back! Synchronicity!

http://www.spin.com/articles/sonic-youth-get-stolen-guitars-back-13-years-later

Here was the original 'stolen gear' post:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/alt.music.sonic-youth/F5SIubXuIzE

Trending Topics

Top Bottom