• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which foot do you use for WAH?

Which foot do you use for wah?

• Strong foot

Votes: 112 68.3%
  • Weak foot

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • Both are interchangeable - you are ambidextrous.

Votes: 29 17.7%

• Total voters

Dubious

I'm left handed for writing but that's it. I play guitar right handed.

The skateboard analogy is interesting - regular stance is left foot first, goofy is right foot first.

I skate regular, and also use my wah with my lead foot - the left.

strumminsix

An early guitar teacher instructed that when seated to placed guitar on weak leg. So if I try and use my right foot for wah, it tips up the guitar's lower bout. So, use the other.

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member
I will go one further.
I am right handed but left eye dominant, shoot handgun right hand but sight left eye, shoot long gun completely left-hand, weld MIG and stick right but TIG left.
Play drums right handed.
Have exp pedal on left side, wah on right, but prefer left foot for wah, playing guitar right handed.
HOWEVER, (and here is the crux of my post) I have found I play wah completely different left-footed as compared to right. So I use either foot depending on desired effect.
For example, that fast rocking back and forth ala Clapton/Cream? Can't do it clean with my left. Easy with my right.
But finding that slow sweet spot back and forth is where left foot shines for me.

My advice is try it! Sit down if need be. Use your ears. :)

markybird

Silver Supporting Member
I'm left handed but couldn't afford a left handed guitar so learned right handed. I play drums and violin left handed though.

I use my left foot but it is really awkward - give me a unique 'edgy' wah tone tho :)

Terry Hoffman

Just curious what people are doing - which foot do you use for wah? (Or other parameter manipulation with an expression pedal).

And to cater to both lefties and righties, “strong foot” matches your dominate hand - so that would be right foot for those that play right handed, and left foot for those that play left handed…

Right handed, right foot.

Gearzilla

Silver Supporting Member
EmotionalFatherlyFluke-size_restricted.gif

jfine

Left foot. I’m a polio survivor, and my right quadriceps is pretty much non-functional, so I use my left foot for any switching or pedal operation. I’m left-handed as well, even though I play right-handed. I’ve never had any problem playing left-footed and right-handed, but my brain is probably cross-wired anyway! And at 71, I can’t stand up to play any more anyway, although I did in my twenties. Probably why my left hip gave out on me five years ago!

DrProgNerd

Right handed - left footed
Multi Fx/modeler floorboards with built in expression pedals are useless to me because the EP is on 'the wrong side'.

Frank Lee

Before I was a guitarist, I tapped my foot with my strong foot; after picking up guitar, I started tapping with my weak foot. From there, wah and vol, all pedals ended up under either foot.

My weak foot might have a slight edge, now, it might get used a bit more.

fretworn

I should’ve clarified… I actually use 4 continuous controllers/foot pedals.

The two on the right are for Vol and Wah, w/ two on the left for delays and modulation mix (plus wildcard).

But the wah requires the most physical interaction, naturally.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom