Which for DAW?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dnumde, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dnumde

dnumde Member

Well, I've decided on a list of items to get my own DAW started...just undecided and probably inexperienced on which to purchase for the computer portion...

With my budget, i can either choose to build my own PC or equaivalent to getting an iMac. The bulk of work done from home will mostly be mixing and stuff like Reason and EZDrummer...will be using Nuendo too with the Focusrite Saffire interface.

Some of my thoughts are, will 2GB of RAM be sufficient/"futureproof" on the iMac or should i go for the 4GB upgrade? Because if 2GB is quite more than sufficient, i will gladly save up just awhile more for the Macbook pro due to the portability advantage.

Just for info, i'm currently halfway through my audio engineering diploma and my school's director have approached me to assign me some relatively easy projects (according to him) to embark on (will be paid)...possibly employing me as a trainee or inhouse engineer once i've graduated.

So i thought, why not get a proper setup to practice alot more and really woodshed...plus i can do my own songwriting stuff too, thus the decision to actually save up for the budget of an iMac even though i'm just a student for now. Well, it is quite an amount...so i'm trying to get as much advice before i decide :)

2. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Macbook pro. You'll eventually want 4 gig of RAM.

3. dnumde

dnumde Member

Mmm okay, so if i get the MB Pro w/ 4gb ram....should i setup a firewire hdd to hold all my my projects and audio files? Since the common advice is to have the OS and applications in 1 hdd and a seperate one for the recordings, the only way the MB Pro is by using an external firewire hdd i guess?

Thanks for tolerating with all my questions, hopefully it doesnt sound too trivial to everyone as to why i'm so concerned over these issues :)

4. dnumde

dnumde Member

5. straticus

straticus Member

If you decide to go PC be sure to give these guys a call. I just received the new PC I had them build for me and the quality and price are outstanding.

http://www.polywell.com/us/index.asp

The PC I ordered from them is being used as a DAW.

6. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

yes, that is the best way - external FireWire drive for audio. 2 gig of ram is enough to start with.

7. dnumde

dnumde Member

Great! i'll be shooting for the stock Mb Pro and an external fw hdd to start with......eventually upgrading once i have the need for more power. Thanks for the input guys and Chris especially.

8. Scotty J

Scotty J Member

I just built a hoss of a PC DAW.

Intel Quad Core 2.4GHz LGA 775
    4GB DDR2 1000 dual channel memory
    160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s OS volume
    4 x 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s for working volumes
    Zalman water cooled for a very low noise floor

If you're going to go the PC route with 4GB of RAM, keep in mind that XP doesn't recognize the entire 4Gig. The system will however utilize the memory for video etc.