Which Fralin pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dodelson, Jan 15, 2006.

1. dodelson

dodelson Member

I'm thinking of buying a set of Fralin Vintage Hot Pickups. Can these cover SRV, Hendrix, Gilmour, and Clapton, or would I need a higher output pickup? I have a booster pedal, so I was figuring that I could cover the higher gain styles that way.

2. dodelson

dodelson Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I own a G & L Legacy with maple neck and play through a Traynor YCV40

3. Gadowguitars

Gadowguitars Member

I would imagine the vintage or the blues specials would get the job done.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Contact Fralin directly...he/they are the experts...your choices sound correct though!

-Thad

5. MrClean

MrClean Member

I have Fralin Blues.....it sound great:cool:

More out put than Vintage Hot!

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I have a Fralin Steel Pole 43 in the bridge position of my AV57RI Fender Strat. Other pickups are stock. Sounds absolutely great, the balance between the pickups is great, the ice pick from the bridge is history. I was scared that the Steel Pole might be a bit over the top for me as I really like the traditional fender sound but this seems to be the perfect combination!

7. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

The Fralin Hot pickups are VERY hot, pretty dark-sounding. I'd steer you towards a set of Blues Specials. If not, though, I have a pair of Hot pickups (neck and middle) that I'd sell ya... I want to trade them for the Blues model.

8. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I disagree with mccreadyisgod. I just put a set of Fralins (SP-43 & two Vintage Hots) in one of my Suhrs and the combination is very balanced in my guitar. The Vintage Hots are slightly hotter than true vintage, but by no means would I describe the tone as hot! My guitar is very full and balanced acoustically and this combination works for me, but if your guitar is particuarly bright or thin acoustically, you may want to go with Blues Specials.

Check out the clips at Acme for side-by-side comparison in THEIR guitar. Use these clips and extrapolate what these pickups will sound like in YOUR guitar.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Yes!

They are my favorite Strat set from him. Delish.

10. dodelson

dodelson Member

Thanks for all the help. I've decided to go with the vintage hots with bassplate on the bridge pickup, along with the blueskaster deluxe control set from Torres, which has mid boost and cut along with tone on one knob, and a blender on the other. I figure this will cover all the tones that I will ever need.

11. retro

retro Member

Suhr_Rodney thanks for the cool link...

My understanding is the Vintage Hots are 50's spec except for the bridge pup in the set which also has an available 5% less underwind option and that the Blues are 5% stronger then the VH's. So the Blues should have a tad more mids and less highs??

At any rate I don't find the VH's in my Strat to be hot. I just got a JTM and so far I am loving them through the Marshall.

Should work nice with the mid boost and cut set-up.

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

VH's for a slightly overwound vintage sound, and Blues Specials for more of a SRV type tone......YMMV

13. Pearly Grapes

Pearly Grapes Member

I really like the Blues Special Fralins. Very Nice full vintage Strat tone!
    (Pickups were courtesy of Mark Stoddard/Lava Cables Katrina Raffle last Oct; 1st class service! Thanks Mark!)

PG

14. m1911

m1911 Member

I've installed Blues Specials with Bridge Base-plates and Vintage Hots with Steel Pole 43's in the Bridge in several Strats and the combination of Vintage Hots with the Steel Pole 43 in the Bridge wins every time.
    It it very bold, yet clear, and on the Bridge/Middle position you still have all the quack you could ask for. Also this is the first USABLE Bridge position I've ever heard.
    Mark

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I have the blues/blues/SP43 rig myself, and it's perfect!

16. dodelson

dodelson Member

The steel pole setup actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm relatively new to strats, so does anyone know what I would sacrifice by not having a conventional bridge pickup in? Would the blender and the quack position still work?

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

You lose most of the glassy middle/bridge tone. It's still good but it's not as stratty. The trade-off is a BIG sounding bridge pup.

18. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

Sorry, I need to clarify... I have the High Output models. And they are way too hot for my needs. I have a Harmonic Design S-90 in the bridge, and I had to dial down the mid/neck pups to match the output. The Vintage Hots are much more managable, but I'd still prefer a set of Blues Specials. My bad... and btw, I also have a set of his P-90's, and he does AMAZING work. Love the tone!

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Fender 57/62 in neck and middle and Fralin SP43 in the bridge works very well for me! Tha Fralin Vintage Hots and SP43 in the bridge would be my choice if I'd change all the pickups, but since the Fender 57/62 pickups sound really good in neck and middle I dont feel the need to swap them. And I think it's pretty cool to have as little windings in neck and middle and as many in bridge as possible so that the eq balance is right for me.. IƤve found that for me the strat works best this way, I can use all the pickups. With the stock pickups I couldnt do this and I was told many times that the bassplate alone wouldnt fix my problem..

As for the #4 position, I think it's just fine. Maybe you lose some quack, but for me the inbetween sound is better in the neck/middle combo anyway. Not that I dont use it very often. Ofcourse if you are a diehard out of phase sound user, you might see this as a problem...