Which Fralin strat pickups to get?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by arexjay, Mar 17, 2006.

1. arexjay

arexjay Member

I've got a daphne blue Fender MIM '57 RI strat with stock pickups. I'm looking to replace the pickups in this, and I'm pretty sure I want Fralins... but don't know which set to get.

I don't want that deadful ice-picking on the bridge position, I want them to be balanced, and I don't want them to sound thin. I want them to sound like a vintage strat, but fuller (not thin).

I play into a Fender Blues Deluxe. I play indie-style rock in a band and blues at home.

So any suggestions?!

Thanks!

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

With the MIM I'd probably change all the pickups. I have no experience othen than with the Fralin Steel Pole 43 which is a fantastic pickup. I have it in the bridge position of my AV57 strat, others are stock. It balanced the set perfectly, no icepicks anymore and all the pickups are useable with the same amp settings.

I guess if I was replacing all my pickups I'd go with the Fralin Vintage Hots in the neck and middle plus a SP43 in the bridge. The Lollar Special set looks pretty good too. Plenty of very good choices, I guess it's hard to go wrong :)

3. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Blues Specials. Very well balanced. More low end than most Strat pickups and the bridge has a base plate. This was the first (and one of only a couple) usable Strat bridge pickups I've ever played.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had the Blues Specials in the neck and middle, and a Steel Pole 42 in the bridge. They were most excellent!

5. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I have the Blues Specials (bridge with base plate) in my Clapton strat. I also took out all the active lace sensor pickup electronics, mid-boost, etc. Sounds great through my Fenders, Fuchs, and TopHat.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Buy the Fralin Vintage Hots with a steel pole #43 in the bridge & also buy a volume kit & blend kit. Then a good clean boost pedal - Klon is life. Fulltone Fat Boost or the Fulldrive II on comp cut, rip. Totally.

I will be buying a set of the Lollar Blondes {at some point} to try on my Strat. I played them on a mates guitar and they Debbie Boone'd me. On the spot, johnny.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

These are NOT your daddy's classic Strat PUPs but here's what I'm gonna do with my next Strat-style axe (if I ever have $$ again in my
    life :eek: ): 3 Fralin Steel Pole 43s each tapped at around 5.0-6.0K ohms with minitoggles for each on the guitar (or push/pull pots).

The middle PUP on my Jerrycaster DARK STAR is a 9.0K Split Pole 43 tapped at 6.0K ohms and its tones both full and tapped are blowing me away.

[​IMG]

8. arexjay

arexjay Member

What's the difference between the Blues set and the Vintage Hot set?

9. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

the blues have 5% more winds, which means they have 5% more output, 5% more lows and 5% less mids. (i think)

i have the blues specials. when i got them, i wasn't quite as happy as i thought i would have been. but recently i've come to cherish these pickups. they are really great.

i'm building a new Single-Single-Humbucker strat, and here's what i'm thinking about doing: you guys tell me if it's a dumb idea or not.

i'm thinking about ordering a vintage hot neck and middle pickup, and a 9k bridge humbucker. THEN, when they arrive, take the neck and middle blues specials off my current strat (since they have more output) and pairing them with the humbucker, and putting the 2 vintage hots with the blues special bridge. they way the SSH strat has hotter single-coils to match the humbucker (even though the hum will still be a little hotter), and on the SSS, the guitar will still sound good, and the bridge will be a little hotter.

what do you guys think?

10. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have the Blues Specials in the neck and middle and the Steel Pole 43 in the bridge in my #1 guitar. Play everything from 50's to hard rock with the guitar and it covers all the bases very well. P-90 sound in the bridge and great strat sounds with the other two pu's. Acme Guitar Works sells prewired kits with everything you need. Check their website. Great guys to talk tone with.

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

+1 for the Steel Pole in the bridge, the first "usable" sc bridge pup I ever had.:Spank

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I wonder if this is the same for everyone :)

I also bought some Seymour Duncan pickups and put them in my strat. Right off the bat I was severely dissapointed...which makes perfect sense, as I was still using the same damn settings on amps, amp modeller patches, etc. and I had adjusted make my old pickups sound more what I wanted. So when I just installed them and started playing....it was like a double whammy. Just for example, if your old pickups were too midrangy and lacking in bass, so you get uesd to adjusting by adding bass and cutting midrange...then you research like a demon...looking for pickups that have more bass, less midrange...buy them, plug in and WHAM...WAY too much bass, way too little midrange...doubled and halved :)

The weird thing is...even knowing this, it was HARD to adjust the knobs in "the wrong direction".

But after time, you start getting the best out of them. I think it took me a couple weeks to a month to even start getting the most out of mine.

13. arexjay

arexjay Member

I think I'm going to get the Blues Specials in the neck and middle, and either a Steel Pole 42 or 43 in the bridge w/ a baseplate...

So, what's the difference between the Steel Pole 42 and 43?