Which fretboard oil or conditioner?

E2942

If you want to support your local retailer, just walk in there & hand them a $20 bill, then go home & use a damp cloth.
More of the money will go to where you intended, instead of the snake oil salespeople.

Maguchi

What can you all recommend for a good inexpensive fretboard conditioner. Would like something guitar specific and not generic stuff from the hardware store or supermarket.

I think the primary ingredient is more figurative.
You asked, we told you the truth, & now you'll dismiss it. Bravo!
If you look again at the OP, I specifically asked for recommendations for "something guitar specific and not generic stuff from the hardware store or supermarket."

And now the figurative "we" supposedly "told" me "the truth" about non guitar specific products. Bravo! So yes I dismissed it as it didn't fit the criteria of my request.

E2942

A damp cloth is guitar specific, because pros here told you not to use oil on it, but that didn't fit the criteria of your wish to buy something for no good reason.

Maguchi

If you want to support your local retailer, just walk in there & hand them a $20 bill, then go home & use a damp cloth.
More of the money will go to where you intended, instead of the snake oil salespeople.
Thanks for the advice. I'll continue learning and modifying my guitar maintenance procedures as new reliable info becomes available. So far I've seen a handful of replies here that recommend a damp cloth and nothing else. I'll take that advice into account and start checking around regarding the damp cloth method. As for "snake oil salespeople" that sounds like a personal issue to me.

Maguchi

Listen to @VaughnC and @Terry McInturff about the "drying" test.

If you've hung on this sub forum for any length of time, you'll know you can take their advice to the bank.

... Thom
Yep, thanks. I know about Terry McInturff and will do the drying test on anything that'll touch my fretboard. I will however narrow the field of products to start with commercial guitar specific products. Fewer products to sample that way, and the difference in cost is not significant enough for the miniscule amount used per guitar. Several of the posters have recommended some commercial guitar specific products here that I'll try first. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

wraub

I'm looking for a guitar specific product for rosewood that's not petroleum based, any suggestions?

claudel

I use a dab of woodwind bore oil every year or two on my fingerboards when I see the pores start to open.

A little goes a long way. Best to not overdo it.

mrav jon

IMHO this is great i use in my shop https://www.jimdunlop.com/44616532001-formula-65-care-products/

Also Dunlop lemon oil is nice. If you can buy the fretboard cleaner 1 Dunlop and then 2, cleaner is nice since it take out all the dirt that gunk which was built into rosewood over the time. Oil mixed with skin particles from hands make some gunk that goes into pores.
Any guitar shop should have it, you can order it maybe from some shop with a small fee of with a free shipment?

In general you can use any fine mineral oil, or some furniture cleaner that contains a bit of oil.

For preparation you can clean fret-board with naphtha.I was doing that for years before i start to purchase Dunlop and similar products.

Last edited:

rizla

I use a food grade mineral oil that I buy in bulk for finishing some timber products I manufacture including chopping boards, serving boards and bowls etc.
I seldom apply it to my fretboards, generally only if Im about to sell it and then it is just a very light smear that I wipe off pretty much straight away.

Terry McInturff

45th Anniversary of guitar building!
Gold Supporting Member
OP: why restrict to a guitar related product?

Once you get the fretboard clean, you can use good old Johnson's Paste Wax safely.

I don't think that mineral oil dries, so any suggestion for that is, respectfully, bad advise.

Wms76

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, thanks. I know about Terry McInturff and will do the drying test on anything that'll touch my fretboard. I will however narrow the field of products to start with commercial guitar specific products. Fewer products to sample that way, and the difference in cost is not significant enough for the miniscule amount used per guitar. Several of the posters have recommended some commercial guitar specific products here that I'll try first. Thanks for the advice.

in the time you’ve typed all these rejoinders rejecting good suggestions you could have had the job done with readily available (non music store) products. :idea:knitting:dunno

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom