Which fuzz / distortion + POG for cello tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahelmboldt, May 11, 2015.

1. ahelmboldt

ahelmboldt Member

I'm currently using a CB Karma Suture in tandem with a slow attack on my POG to create some pretty sweet cello-ish tones that I love.

The KS is an incredibly versatile dist/fuzz machine, but I don't really need all that. I actually just need a one trick pony for the use above. So it seems silly to keep a $150 boutique pedal on the board if I can find a $50 replacement that does the trick. But there are a ton of those - any suggestions?

Smooth, warm, thick distortion in a low draw 9V battery pedal, in the $50 neighborhood used.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. Monts

Monts Member

In the $50 range, you could just pick up a Big Muff. I've used it to do the same thing with my POG 2 and it works well for those tones.

3. lhama

lhama Member

Any fat fuzz. Muffs are not a bad choice.

4. ahelmboldt

ahelmboldt Member

Thanks. The KS does this "even order harmonics" thing that I don't really understand the science of, but it supposedly makes it smoother-sounding. Or helps to market the pedal ;) Or both :)

Was wondering if folks here with experience trying to create these tones could comment and help me avoid playing Fuzz Pedal Musical Chairs. I've recently been doing that with delays and it's exhausting ;)

Big muff nano seems like a solid choice. Others?

5. tabb74

tabb74 Member

I hate to give the one-size-fits-all TGP reply; :hide but sounds like you need a RAT.

Heck, they're not much more than $50 brand new.